Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Slanted August
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13535
Default Tomlin vs Defense vs Offense vs Special Teams

Does anyone know how much Tomlin gets involved in these three phases? Does he overrule and take over play calling at times (ie Cowher over Ernheart)?

If not, its definately impressive how through time the special teams went from a liability to a strength. I still remember having to change the channel two years back when Josh Cribbs was to receive. I dont know if its evolution and jelling together as a cohesive unit or if its Tomlin behind the scenes that has fixed ST by his own doing.

Its sounds like a great story how the godfather of the 3-4 and Tomlin with his Tampa 2 philosophy can still be effective. Tomlin is smart alone letting Dick do his thing but you have to admit our corner play has improved during the Tomlin's Reign and third coaching dynasty. Maybe they can develop some sort of hybrid that would optimize both schemes.

My point is as a typical emotional fan I screamed for the head of the special teams coach. Tomlin being cool and collect addressed it in a more transparent manner.

Now the easist thing for me to find fault the past couple years is the consistency of the offense for whatever reason we may think. Just hoping that Tomlin in his own coaching style fixed it or addressed it like he has already done with the special teams element..
Slanted August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491
Default Re: Tomlin vs Defense vs Offense vs Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted August View Post
Does anyone know how much Tomlin gets involved in these three phases? Does he overrule and take over play calling at times (ie Cowher over Ernheart)?

If not, its definately impressive how through time the special teams went from a liability to a strength. I still remember having to change the channel two years back when Josh Cribbs was to receive. I dont know if its evolution and jelling together as a cohesive unit or if its Tomlin behind the scenes that has fixed ST by his own doing.

Its sounds like a great story how the godfather of the 3-4 and Tomlin with his Tampa 2 philosophy can still be effective. Tomlin is smart alone letting Dick do his thing but you have to admit our corner play has improved during the Tomlin's Reign and third coaching dynasty. Maybe they can develop some sort of hybrid that would optimize both schemes.

My point is as a typical emotional fan I screamed for the head of the special teams coach. Tomlin being cool and collect addressed it in a more transparent manner.

Now the easist thing for me to find fault the past couple years is the consistency of the offense for whatever reason we may think. Just hoping that Tomlin in his own coaching style fixed it or addressed it like he has already done with the special teams element..

Tomlin is involved in all team activities coaching wise as a head coach should be. He took on the role to improve the secondary play. As he did with special teams. He and Lebeau work together on how the defense is run meaning Tomlin understands Lebeau has been coaching before he was in high school and with that he knows that very little input is needed from him other than creating new schemes together to keep offenses confused.

Tomlin will not take over the offense calling plays and if he was unhappy with the way Arians was running the offense he would get another O-coordinator. I think most don't realize the offensive has been hampered with injuries, also give the other teams defense some credit I think the Steelers played all the top defenses in the league last year on their way to winning the Super Bowl. I am not worried about offense only in the sense of keeping everyone healthy.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Slanted August
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13535

scsteeler,

Thanks for the feedback and your perspective. Maybe I see it all too simplestically in watching a 4 hour game every sunday vs the 100s of hours Arians puts in each week. I know you must keep the defenses honest with play action and running plays to setup passing plays but I swear alot of the play calling, formations, etc are predictable as if the opposing team is being tipped off (and I dont mean like the Pats being tipped off).

I am not saying I have the answers....just my point of view.
Slanted August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It goes to show you how good of a coach Tomlin is. He has brought this team along ways in his 2 years of coaching. Our special teams is looking alot better then what it used to be.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836

This is strange as I`ve been wondering about this very same question for quite some time.
From what you`re saying scsteeler,Tomlin lets Arians and LeBeau make the calls so what exactly does Tomlin do during the game.?....Please don`t think I`m being flippant here...I genuinely don`t know.
I mean he`s always on the head-mic so he must be having some input into what goes on during a game.
Please forgive my ignorance on this......I`m British you know!!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

there's no doubt Tomlin had a huge influence on the vast improvement of our special teams
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote