Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #21
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Should we be concerned about the running game?

Countdown to another Arians sucks thread in 5, 4, 3,... oh wait, its already here.

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post

I dont think there's EVER been a team in the NFL in which half the problem with the rungame was the playcalling. Lol, take any one-dimensional running team for example. The opposing defense knows what they're going to do, and yet, many times they cant stop that run game. Play calling is the least of any offensive problem
Wow... then i hope ben can scramble up another great SB win....

Because he is carrying the offensive team on his ability to extend the plays...

thats a scary scenario.... if play calling has nothing to do with the offenses problem...

why does ben change the plays as he sees the coverage unfold?? is that play calling? or play editing....

does it matter then if ben changes the play at all then?

if its a run play up the middle and it looks like the D know its coming, can ben change the play at the line of scrimmage??

these are things i dont know... but i always thought play calling was a big part of an offensive scheme...
Old 08-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalone View Post
Wow... then i hope ben can scramble up another great SB win....

Because he is carrying the offensive team on his ability to extend the plays...

thats a scary scenario.... if play calling has nothing to do with the offenses problem...

why does ben change the plays as he sees the coverage unfold?? is that play calling? or play editing....

does it matter then if ben changes the play at all then?

if its a run play up the middle and it looks like the D know its coming, can ben change the play at the line of scrimmage??

these are things i dont know... but i always thought play calling was a big part of an offensive scheme...
It sure is secondary to EXECUTION. The WORST playcalling executed very well will STILL produce.

the BEST playcalling with bad execution will produce NOTHING.

See the difference?

Now, this year's line, at least in that first game, was looking better. After watching it again, I have some somewhat high hopes for this line.. I think they can top at a B- grading. Not bad from being about a D- last year.

After that, we need new personnel to get further, particularly at LT and RG, which is why I keep hoping for Hartwig to slide to RG and Leg. to play at center, at least from what I saw last game. Hartwig, while by no means a great lineman, is an upgrade.

Willie and Mendy are healthy (training camp bumps and bruises and spasms... it happens). That speed will greatly help the team. A couple runs around the end will stop inside blitz just as fast as anything else.

Screen passes are the equivelent of the keystone cops for this line for some reason. So that is out.

that leaves play-action short passes in places vacated by blitzing LB's and rushes to the corner to make LB's thing about going east west as well as north south.

And btw... There is NO SCHEMING in a preseason game, especially the first. You MAY find some very small scheming in the second. and the third is where you will have some plays setting up others, but not much. Fourth is again very vanilla.

So for that, wait until the reg. season to judge.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post

I dont think there's EVER been a team in the NFL in which half the problem with the rungame was the playcalling. Lol, take any one-dimensional running team for example. The opposing defense knows what they're going to do, and yet, many times they cant stop that run game. Play calling is the least of any offensive problem
Don't you know, Psyycho, that Bruce Arians suuuuuuucks and should be ridden out of the Burgh on a rail?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #25
mmalone
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Don't you know, Psyycho, that Bruce Arians suuuuuuucks and should be ridden out of the Burgh on a rail?
Well if not Arians.. Then the OL? why didnt we pick up veteran FA's for our OL..

Its like the FO doesnt really think the OL is that bad.. they didnt really focus on it..
we picked up the #4 center from atlanta?? a couple rookies who are 1-2 years out.

if its not the OL then the QB or the receivers?? tell me something..... not just tell me im wrong about BA. im waiting for someone here to guide me to the light of this Offenses problem... Why are we #23 on offense... this year we will be #12 for sure just because of the lighter schedule with softer D's... but thats not the way to move up the charts. because the playoffs will be here... ask tennessee they played the easy schedule last year and when the playoffs came they got theirs.

we have SB players.... so why are we #23 on offense..?? still asking.. thats all.

i dont think ben really likes getting sacked 50 times and hit another 100 every year...

why does brady stand in the pocket all day?? is it the old players around him. or is it that he relases the ball as he steps back. 1-2-3 its gone. there is not enough time to sack him. why... the playcalling or his speedy legs saving him???

or do the plays match the players abilities???
Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I am not concerned at all. If Parker becomes injured then I am get worried but overall no. If the run game looks horrible into the 4th preseason game then maybe and I do mean maybe.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #27
O Sensei
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14023

Here ya go preacherman.....

ARIANS SUCKS! We'd be a better, more well rounded team with a better coordinator!

Truth hurts!

You bet your ass we should be worried about the LACK of a running game based upon last season....if our 100 mill man goes down....on the field not in a hotel room...
we'll be up shit creek without a batch of paddles to save us....defense will keep us in the hunt....along with our new toy....a legit punter....but they better find a way to keep those boys on the other side from pinnin' em back and breaking ben bad....dude looks a little softer than he has as it is...too many roethlisburgers????

O Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalone View Post
Well if not Arians.. Then the OL? why didnt we pick up veteran FA's for our OL..

Its like the FO doesnt really think the OL is that bad.. they didnt really focus on it..
we picked up the #4 center from atlanta?? a couple rookies who are 1-2 years out.

if its not the OL then the QB or the receivers?? tell me something..... not just tell me im wrong about BA. im waiting for someone here to guide me to the light of this Offenses problem... Why are we #23 on offense... this year we will be #12 for sure just because of the lighter schedule with softer D's... but thats not the way to move up the charts. because the playoffs will be here... ask tennessee they played the easy schedule last year and when the playoffs came they got theirs.

we have SB players.... so why are we #23 on offense..?? still asking.. thats all.

i dont think ben really likes getting sacked 50 times and hit another 100 every year...

why does brady stand in the pocket all day?? is it the old players around him. or is it that he relases the ball as he steps back. 1-2-3 its gone. there is not enough time to sack him. why... the playcalling or his speedy legs saving him???

or do the plays match the players abilities???
I'm beginning to really think you are a clone of my ex-husband. Even if there is no justifiable reason to bitch and moan, you'll look for one.

Who gives a flying fandoozle where we are rated on offense??? Our O, including the OL and OC are just as much a part of winning that championship as our D, ST's, Coach T and every other party who had a hand in last year's success and when all is said and done - the Steelers finished at the top of the heap as Super Bowl champions. Here - I'll explain it to you in simple terms . . .

THE STEELERS WON SUPER BOWL XLIII AND ARE THE REINING CHAMPS.

There - is that easier for you to comprehend?

While there is always room for improvement, to nitpick and harp on an offense and OC who are proudly sporting brandy new Super Bowl rings is mind boggling.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #29
mmalone
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'm beginning to really think you are a clone of my ex-husband. Even if there is no justifiable reason to bitch and moan, you'll look for one.

Who gives a flying fandoozle where we are rated on offense??? Our O, including the OL and OC are just as much a part of winning that championship as our D, ST's, Coach T and every other party who had a hand in last year's success and when all is said and done - the Steelers finished at the top of the heap as Super Bowl champions. Here - I'll explain it to you in simple terms . . .

THE STEELERS WON SUPER BOWL XLIII AND ARE THE REINING CHAMPS.

There - is that easier for you to comprehend?

While there is always room for improvement, to nitpick and harp on an offense and OC who are proudly sporting brandy new Super Bowl rings is mind boggling.
Cool. i watched all six super bowls as they were played... we won them all in Steeler fashion...

If ben goes down with a head injury or gets broke up.. its 2006 all over again.
I want to watch ben play all year and standing while he is playing.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #30
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic View Post
Concerned based on 1 preseason game? no.

Concerned based on last year? yes.
My thoughts exactly
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote