Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Re: Outrageous Lawsuits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Not MY peers. For the most part, the jury's seem to be made up by a bunch of people who look they are fresh off the Jerry Springer Show.

I don't believe there is any constitutional guarantee of "jury of peers" for CIVIL suits.
I didn't me YOUR peers perse....I meant the criminals are supposedly tried by a jury of their peers. Stupid criminals tried by stupid jurors.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is from Texas, but no reason not to extraplolate this out...87% of the Texas Democrats campaign contributions were from Trial Lawyers EIGHTY-SEVEN PERCENT!

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/co...w.asp?c=216076

Texas trial lawyers spend millions in 2008 election cycle to support Democratic candidates

11/24/2008 4:00 PM
By Marilyn Tennissen

AUSTIN - Personal injury trial lawyers poured millions of dollars into Texas elections this cycle, including more than $6 million to front groups and the Texas Democratic Party, a grass roots organization reported Nov. 24.

Beginning January 1, campaign finance reports reveal hundreds of major campaign contributions from wealthy trial attorneys, including Beamont's Walter Umphrey and Wayne Reaud, determined to roll back lawsuit reform in Texas, according to Texans for Lawsuit Reform.

"The lawsuit industry has anted up millions this cycle to elect lawmakers who will work to reverse reforms and create more opportunities to file lawsuits," said TLR PAC Director Justin Unruh.

According to TLR, personal injury trial lawyers provided almost 90 percent of the campaign contributions to the Texas Democratic Party and an even larger percentage to Texans for Insurance Reform, a trial lawyer front group.

The Texas Democratic Trust reported raising $4,028,701 in contributions for state races in 2008 including $2,218,201 in contributions from Dallas personal injury trial attorney, the late Fred Baron, who acquired his wealth in mass asbestos lawsuits.

The Texas Democratic Party reported raising $3,950,470 almost all from personal injury trial lawyers.

Baron's Texas Democratic Trust reported $1,994,759 in contributions to the Democratic Party and dozens of other trial lawyers contributed $1,990,700.

Eighty-seven percent of all contributions to the Texas Democratic Party were from trial lawyers.

Though the trial lawyer tycoons also contributed to individual candidates, their biggest contributions were directed to the Texas Democratic Party and what TLR called two trial lawyer front groups which then funneled the dollars to legislative candidates.

In addition to Baron, Houston attorney John Eddie Williams, one of the Tobacco Five attorneys who shared a $3.3 billion tobacco fee, gave a total of $765,000 to the front groups and the Democratic Party.

San Antonio trial lawyer Mikal Watts, who has bragged that he could influence appellate court judges because of his campaign contributions, gave $480,000 total to the Texas Democratic Party and Texans for Insurance Reform.

Watts also contributed another $444,000 to his own political action committee. Although the PAC does not bear his name, Vote Texas is almost exclusively supported by Watts who uses the contributions to support opponents of lawsuit reform, the TLR claims.

Beaumont's Provost Umphrey and Reaud Morgan & Quinn also contributed to the trial lawyer groups and the Democratic Party. Provost Umphrey gave $375,000. Reaud Morgan Quinn gave $250,000.

Houston trial lawyer John O'Quinn also contributed $100,000 to the Texas Democratic Party.

Meanwhile, Texans for Insurance Reform reported raising $1,722,150 of which $1,679,500 came from trial lawyers - 97 percent of their total contributions. Watts and the Tobacco Five trial lawyers all made six figure contributions.

Texans for Lawsuit Reform PAC is the political arm of Texans for Lawsuit Reform, the state's largest civil justice reform organization. TLR is a bipartisan, volunteer-led coalition with more than 16,000 supporters residing in 818 Texas communities and representing 1,266 different businesses, professions and trades.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

ya can't fix stupid.....but you can sure stick us with the bill for it.

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

This should come as a surprise to no one. There exists a certain segment of people who treat the legal system like it's the lottery, and as long as there are lawyers who work on contingency, the'yll be free to continue to abuse the courts. On the flip side, since hiring a lawyer to defend yourself is so goddamn expensive, it creates some pretty asinine results in the form of settlements, as well as almost paranoid actions on the part of anyone who works in an official capacity or has a lot of money. Big Ben is living that experience right now.

Oh, also ... in fairness to the McDonald's coffee lady, I think that's a misunderstood case. I believe she only sued for a small amount to cover her hospital visit, but the jury decided to tack on a couple million dollars for no good reason other than they wanted to stick it to McDonald's. And she sued them because they were handing out their coffee at like 200 degrees, which I agree is pretty stupid. The lady really did end up with third-degree burns, which is like ... why are you handing out coffee that hot in the first place? I mean, you can't even drink it.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I've gone over this with a lawyer friend a few times, and, the coffee WAS too hot.

One of the big problems, though, is the pussification of America. When our grandparents were growing up, had coffee been spilt and a burn ensued, MAYBE they'd have asked the owner of the store to pay for the medical bills (say, if they had no insurance) and the store owner most likely would have...they'd have shaken hands and that would be the end of it.

Not now!

When I was a kid, I climbed trees, and stuck my finger in light sockets, ate chemicals, put stuff in my ears, ate toys, etc, etc, etc...and i turned out just fine, as did every other kid I knew who did all the same stuff. Now parents are scared into all kinds of safety devices (part of our culture of fear) and if ANY slight little thing goes wrong, it's sue, sue, sue...

But there is a not-so-hidden cost to all this in the form of inflated prices as companies HAVE to pass all these added insurance premiums and stuff onto their customers.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #16
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
When I was a kid, I climbed trees, and stuck my finger in light sockets, ate chemicals, put stuff in my ears, ate toys, etc, etc, etc...and i turned out just fine, as did every other kid I knew who did all the same stuff. Now parents are scared into all kinds of safety devices (part of our culture of fear) and if ANY slight little thing goes wrong, it's sue, sue, sue...
Well you still may be able to get a settlement on those chemicals you ate. I'm just sayhing.

And I always knew it was someone else's fault and as soon as I find this sue person I'm going to take her to court. Carrying this damage for this long has got to have a pretty good price with it.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

This is all part of the lawyer-enabled mindset that started taking over the country in the 1990s: If you can place the blame on someone else, it's just as good as actually solving the problem.

And since the way we assign blame (legal system) is so expensive, not only are you screwed if you do something wrong, you're screwed if anyone even accuses you of doing anything wrong. So you have to go to asinine lengths to protect yourself, and that effect trickles to every corner of society. The only ones benefiting from it are the lawyers, and as for the effect on everyone else ... well, "pussification" is probably putting it politely.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

I hate civil lawyers.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
This should come as a surprise to no one. There exists a certain segment of people who treat the legal system like it's the lottery, and as long as there are lawyers who work on contingency, the'yll be free to continue to abuse the courts.
While that's true, contingency has to be at least somewhat of a deterrent for the lawyers. If you bring the case to court and lose you worked for free.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
I hate civil lawyers.

Even Shakespeare said, "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"