Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steeler training Camp : Roethlisberger just wants to win

Steeler training Camp : Roethlisberger just wants to win
August 17, 3:04 AM ∑ Matt Pawlikowski - Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...t-wants-to-win

LATROBE - His stats aren't the same as a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but all he does is find ways to win. So should it come as any surprise that when asked what motivates him, the Steeler quarterback gave this answer.

"For me, itís about championships and Bradshaw has four,Ē Roethlisberger said. "Iím not saying Iím the next Terry Bradshaw because heís one of a kind. They were big shoes when I first got here that I said I had to try and fill, and Iím still not going to try to fill them.

"Iím just going to try to be me because (Bradshaw) is the all-time Steelers quarterback. Iím just trying to be Ben, and win as many (championships) as I can."

Roethlisberger may not have Bradshaw's rings, but his maturity and leadership seems to rub off on teammates. Take the way he has handled the recent alleged civil charges being filed against him. When asked about it the first time he met reporters, he talked about the team and threatened to end the conversation if it wasn't about football.

Perhaps it came across as pompous to some, but Roethlisberger wants this to be about the Pittsburgh Steelers and not him. And if it has to be about him, he talks only of how he can improve his game.

"Right now, itís about me getting my footwork up and going, working on quick feet and getting away from center, getting back there so I can get the ball out on time." Roethlisberger said.

Still, its hard to deny he already has established himself as one of the great ones in NFL history. Roethlisberger has two rings, which is something Bart Starr and John Elway each have and are enshrined in Canton.

He has the NFL record for most wins by a starting quarterback in his first five seasons during the regular season, and became the first NFL quarterback to record two perfect passer rating games during a season.

Then there is what he does in the fourth quarter.

He brought the Steelers back in the fourth quarter or overtime on five other occasions during the fourth quarter last year, including a 98-yard one in Baltimore on Dec.14 last year.

And then there was what he did in the Super Bowl.

On the Steelers game winning drive he completed 5 of 7 passes for 84 yards and throwing the winning touchdown to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds remaining. It was the sixth time he did it in 2009.

In all Roethlisberger has brought the team back 19 times in the fourth quarter since being drafted by the team.

REDMAN CONTINUES TO IMPRESS

First he scores two touchdowns in the pre-season opener against the Cardinals. Then he goes against the Steelers vaunted first team defensive roster and scores not once, but twice on them and a total of five times during goal line drills.

So who is this guy? In actuality he's undrafted rookie Isaac Redman from unheralded Bowie State. And yo have to love his attitude.

"I always knew I could play with anybody at any level," Redman said. "I'm just making the best out of every opportunity I get."

STAPELTON HOPES TO BE BACK SOON

When will Darnell Stapleton return, and when he does what will his role be? Stapleton who was underwent surgery last week, had his stitches taken out over the weekend.

"Hopefully in a week or so I'll be back out there," Stapleton said. "There's no doubt in my mind I will come back to play this season."

INJURY REPORT

Troy Polamalu left the field early with a what is being deemed a calf injury. Travis Kirschke also left the field, his being an ankle injury. Darnell Stapelton was still out, as were the following players: Brandon Williams, Mewelde Moore and Tyler Grisham. Rookie Kraig urbik was held out due to a cornea injury.

FROM THE SIDELINES
Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis will help Rocky Bleier host the "9/11 We Will Never Forget" dinner, which will take place at Heinz Field on Sept. 11 to raise money for the Flight 93 National Memorial.

Team president Art Rooney II, we join the three at the event.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote