Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393
Default Re: Steelers leaning on Parker, Mendenhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
It sounded pretty clear to me. If Mendenhall is for real he and Parker will be splitting carries, not Mendenhall spelling Parker.
yeah but it's still called a "1-2 punch" for a reason. one guy is the starter and gets more carries (even if it's only a few)

I like Mendenhall but Parker is still the man imo
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Mendy who?

Isaac Redman is better.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
UltimateFootballNetwork
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9674

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
You really need to cut the crap already and stop hijacking EVERY thread with the "Arians sucks" BS. This thread has NOTHING to do with Arians.
I'd like to agree with mmalone and Steel head. I think this has everything to do with Arians. His comments in this article are just bizarre.
Quote:
"We know what Willie is," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said last week. "If Rashard proves to be a real (No. 2 back) we'll do it. If he doesn't, then he'll spell (Parker). We'll just see how that goes."
Sorry, but I still do not understand this, even if I am interpreting it correctly.

As good as FWP has been over his career, he is not good enough that he doesn't have anything to prove at 29 and coming off an injury plagued, mostly ineffective year. Heck, Ladanian Tomlinson (29) is having to prove that he still has it or else lose carries to Darren Sproles and Clinton Portis (27) is losing carries to Ladell Betts and those guys are HOF RBs.

But the rest of the comments is where it gets weird.

Quote:
"History shows that if you get 300 carries for three or four years," Arians said, "your career ends quick."
OK, and FWP has averaged exactly 299.5 touches over the past 4 seasons so, logically, it would be wise to keep him fresh as possible....

Quote:
Parker has spent extra time catching passes from Wilson during practices dating to the offseason. And the Steelers seem intent on getting him more involved in the passing game after he had just three receptions last season.

Parker had averaged 24 receptions a season from 2005-07.

"If you get him out in space," Arians said, "that's where he's at his best."
So he's going to get more touches in the passing game?

FWP had 210 carries and 3 receptions in 08. So if they target him for 25-30 more receptions does that mean that they are reducing his number of carries by that amount? Even though his split depends on Mendenhall's development?
Quote:
Parker had just seven touchdowns the last two seasons combined, so the sixth-year veteran could be forgiven for getting a little excited after he followed Carey Davis around right end and scored easily at the end of the first quarter.

"I want to make that a habit," Parker said of scoring touchdowns. "I want to keep doing it, keep doing it, keep doing it so the coaches don't have any other goal-line set and I'll be the goal-line guy."
So he wants to take on goal line carries too? Does anyone really think short-yardage is really FWP's strength?

It looks like while Arians says he understands the need to reduce his workload, he's looking at getting him involved in the passing game and at the goal line too. Arians goes out of his way to indicate that he understands the problem of "overuse" for a RB and then goes on to provide quotes where he shows that he wants to increase Parker's role.

Arians seems to learn nothing and make no adjustments and I think the Steelers offense will continue to be a problem this season as a result.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Yeah, thank you very much, Mr. Tool, for encouraging the broken record that is mmalone. Now we have yet ANOTHER Arians bashing thread on our hands.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 AM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yeah, thank you very much, Mr. Tool, for encouraging the broken record that is mmalone. Now we have yet ANOTHER Arians bashing thread on our hands.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Ignore feature: Use it!

mmalone knows VERY little about football, so why bother even reading what he says?
UFN has smashed any credibility with his insane Melwelde Moore pimping.

As for Arians comment, it was crystal clear: They will either be a 1-2 punch (and maybe share the backfield as they did in the Skins game) OR Mendy will be used in much the same fashion that Moore was last year, simply the first guy off the bench if Willie needs a break.

Moore gets the looks in long downs/3rd downs/passing situations and the like.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFootballNetwork View Post
Arians seems to learn nothing and make no adjustments and I think the Steelers offense will continue to be a problem this season as a result.
Well, considering that you spent the majority of last season predicting that Willie would cost us a playoff berth, and then a Super Bowl berth, and finally a Super Bowl win only to be wrong in each case, mark me down as not really giving a rat's ass what you think about the matter.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Ignore feature: Use it!
Believe me, if I wasn't a mod, I would, and there would be a slew of people on my list.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote