Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers lucky to have Batch

Steelers lucky to have Batch
Sunday, August 23, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09235/992771-66.stm

LANDOVER, Md. -- It's still hard to say Ben Roethlisberger is the best quarterback in the NFL, that miracle drive to beat the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII and the Steelers' two world championships in the past four years notwithstanding. It's always going to be hard as long as the New England Patriots' Tom Brady is in his prime.

But this isn't the least bit difficult to opine:

The Steelers have the best set of quarterbacks in the league.

Go ahead, try naming a better pair than Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch.

I'm saying you can't do it.

I know I'll take Big Ben over any quarterback not named Brady. That's why it was so nice to see him laughing on the FedEx Field sideline last night, seemingly carefree, as he watched in sweats as the old Batch -- sorry, Charlie -- and young third-stringer Dennis Dixon lead the Steelers to a 10-3 halftime lead in what turned into a 17-13 exhibition loss to the Washington Redskins. The city of Pittsburgh was briefly in a panic Thursday afternoon when Roethlisberger went down late in the final training-camp practice at Saint Vincent College with some sort of right foot injury. But it's almost certainly a minor problem even if he did walk with a slight limp last night. The guess here is he would have played if it were the second regular-season game instead of the second exhibition game.

But even if Roethlisberger has to miss a game somewhere along the way this season, the world won't necessarily end. Batch is capable. He showed just a bit of that in his quarter-and-change work as the starter against the Redskins.

That is an incredible luxury for the Steelers.

Really, quarterbacks are so precious.

Did you happen to watch Redskins starter Jason Campbell? It's pretty obvious the Washington club isn't thrilled with him. It tried hard to trade for Denver's Jay Cutler in the offseason before he ended up with the Chicago Bears, then tried hard to trade up in the NFL draft to get Southern California's Mark Sanchez, who wound up with the New York Jets. The only surprise is it didn't try to beat the Minnesota Vikings to Brett Favre, speaking of another team that's really desperate for a quarterback.

Campbell was 1 for 7 for 10 yards last night.

No matter how much you appreciate the Steelers having Roethlisberger, I'm thinking it's not enough.

And Batch might be even more unappreciated in his backup -- yet extremely important -- role.

Batch's numbers last night -- 5 of 14 for 63 yards -- weren't all that impressive, but that was because of a predictable slow start. He played just five plays in the exhibition opener against the Cardinals Aug. 13 -- long enough to throw a 45-yard pass to wide receiver Limas Sweed -- which meant his playing time against the Redskins was his first serious action in more than a year. His collarbone was broken in the first exhibition game last season.

Batch was errant on five of his first six passes but looked better on the Steelers' nine-play, 50-yard scoring drive late in the first quarter. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes helped him out big time with a nice catch for a 16-yard gain, then wide receiver Hines Ward did the same by leaping to pull in a 24-yard reception. There was also a 10-yard pass to tight end Heath Miller.

Wouldn't the Redskins love to get that kind of production from Campbell?

Batch played one more series, which was aborted by what appeared to be a third-down drop by Sweed. All in all, it was a good night for a quarterback who is, as they say, just one play away from being the man.

Dixon played into the fourth quarter -- with so-so results -- before leaving with a right shoulder injury and going immediately to the locker room. There has been some speculation this summer that he might beat out Batch for the backup spot, hard to imagine even before his injury, the severity of which wasn't immediately known. The Steelers are a veteran team, one that appears to be more than qualified to take a big run at repeating as Super Bowl champs. In the unfortunate event of a Big Ben injury, coach Mike Tomlin isn't likely to turn over that type of club to an inexperienced, second-year player who still is trying to get his arms around the mental challenges of the pro game.

Batch has to be the guy.

The Steelers are very lucky to have him in their prized stable of quarterbacks.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09235...#ixzz0OxxLs69o
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
onefortheotherhand
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13520
Default Re: Steelers lucky to have Batch

good read mesa

and yeah i really like batch because hes the quintessential veteran who will prolly retire to be a QB coach. He also went to EMU which is where im planning on going
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Charlie might not last much longer

"OW!"

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Haha great photo there. I read somewhere that Dixon may actually be positioned as the #2 for Wildcat type stuff, but Batch would still be the one to come in in the event of an injury . . . not sure if being listed #2 or #3 changes when QB's can enter a game or not, but just thought I would add what I had read.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Charlie is a great guy and teammate, is a very intelligent guy and is OK for a couple of drives here and there, imho, but beyond that, I'm just not comfortable with him behind center and I never have been. How I wish we could have found a way to keep Lefty (who had a really rough game last night). He fit the Steelers mold perfectly and I never had gremlins doing the jig in my stomach when Byron came into the game.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Charlie is a great guy and teammate, is a very intelligent guy and is OK for a couple of drives here and there, imho, but beyond that, I'm just not comfortable with him behind center and I never have been. How I wish we could have found a way to keep Lefty (who had a really rough game last night). He fit the Steelers mold perfectly and I never had gremlins doing the jig in my stomach when Byron came into the game.
I totally agree with ya, HTG. But yet I'm still happy to have Charlie over many of the other #2 guys I've seen out there. I'd love to still have Byron, but people in Cincinnati want ice water, too.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
But yet I'm still happy to have Charlie over many of the other #2 guys I've seen out there.
I'll have to respectfully agree to disagree here me fellow Steelers babe. As a #3 mentor and input guy - yes. As the heir apparent to come into a game or have to fill in for Ben for multiple games - hell NO. I'd rather take my chances with Dixon.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Steelers | Dixon suffers shoulder injury Saturday

Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:22:16 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon (shoulder) suffered an AC joint injury to his right shoulder Saturday, Aug. 22. It depends on the degree of separation as to how much time Dixon might miss.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Steelers | Dixon suffers shoulder injury Saturday

Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:22:16 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Dennis Dixon (shoulder) suffered an AC joint injury to his right shoulder Saturday, Aug. 22. It depends on the degree of separation as to how much time Dixon might miss.
Jeez - what is it with our backup QBs and preseason? First Batch busts his collarbone in preseason last year and now this.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

I was pleased with the promise held from what Dixon did last year, and this year thus far I have only seen encouraging things. His mobility and athleticism bring a whole new dynamic to the position that opposing teams would have to prepare for whereas Batch, while capable, doesn't really bring anything but an unarguable downgrade from what Ben can offer.

Right now I think Batch is most useful for his experience and providing a second set of eyes, whereas for game time performance I would also trust risking Dixon more so than Batch.

I also don't like how the term "Wildcat" is thrown around far too often, as it is supposed to refer to specific offensive formation that implies direct snaps to RBs, usually with an unbalanced OL. Talk of using players like Vick and Dixon specifically in the Wildcat is a little silly, they're best utilized in a broader spectrum of gadget plays that exploits the dynamic threat of their ability to run AND pass. I think we're far more likely to see Dixon line up as a WR (or perhaps have Ben line as a WR and Dixon as QB) and be used in gadget plays much like how Randle El was sometimes used and Kordell when he was "Slash".
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote