Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Notes: Legursky making his case

Steelers Notes: Legursky making his case
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...1640421502.txt
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:14 AM EDT
LANDOVER, Md. — Remember the name Doug Legursky. He just might be one of the 53 men on the Steelers’ opening-day roster.

A former star at Marshall University, Legursky has been seeing plenty of action with the first-team offense this preseason.

He started at center in the first exhibition game, a 20-10 win over the Arizona Cardinals, because of injuries to Justin Hartwig (toe) and Darnell Stapleton (knee).

On Saturday against the Washington, Legursky started at left guard in place of Chris Kemoeatu, who was held out with bruised ribs. Then in the second quarter, Legursky moved to center for one series with the second-team offense.

Last year, Legursky went to training camp as an undrafted free agent. He then spent most of the season on the Steelers’ practice squad.

But so far this summer, Legursky is playing well. Combined with his position flexibility, he’s making a strong bid to make the opening-day roster.

LOGAN’S RETURNS

Stefan Logan, who played last year in the Canadian Football League, was the Steelers’ primary kickoff and punt returner and performed quite well.

He averaged 39.3 yards on four kickoffs. Two of his returns went for 60 and 45 yards. He also averaged 12.0 on four punt returns, including a long of 18 yards.

STEELER INACTIVES

Besides Kemoeatu and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, two other Steelers were held out with injuries.

Mewelde Moore, the Steelers’ third-down back, didn’t play as he continues to rehab from a hamstring pull. Rookie running back Frank “Tank” Summers also sat out with a sore hamstring.

Roethlisberger didn’t play because of an Achilles’ tendon/heel injury.

Stapleton is still out indefinitely with his knee injury.

X’s and O’s

- The Steelers were penalized 13 times for 89 yards. They were flagged seven times for 70 yards last week against Arizona.

“We did not do enough good things to win,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “Some of the things that come to mind were that we had 10 first-half penalties.”

- Rookie Mike Wallace was used as the No. 3 wide receiver instead of second-year pro Limas Sweed.

In the second quarter, Wallace was called for a holding penalty, and a few plays later, Sweed dropped a pass on third-and-9 that would have given the Steelers a first down.

- Rookie center A.Q. Shipley, a Moon Area High School graduate, entered the game late in the second quarter.

- Hit of the game: On a running play in the second quarter, Redskins fullback Mike Sellers flattened Steelers inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

- Rookie defensive end Ziggy Hood, the Steelers’ first-round draft pick, saw action with the third-team defense. Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke were the D-ends on the second-team defense.

Hood recorded two sacks and has three so far in two preseason games.

- There were two interceptions in the game, both by the Steelers. Cornerback Keiwan Ratliff had one, linebacker Tom Korte had the other.

- Reserve cornerback Anthony Madison missed the game due to the death of his father. Madison’s dad died on Tuesday.

- The game was played under slick conditions due to heavy rains throughout the day in the Washington, D.C. area. The rain did stop just before kickoff.

- After an off day today, the Steelers return to the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on the South Side of Pittsburgh on Monday for meetings and a review of the game against the Redskins. They resume practice on Tuesday.

They play again this coming Saturday at Heinz Field against the Buffalo Bills.

The first cut is on Sept. 1 when rosters must be reduced from 80 to 75.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers Notes: Legursky making his case

I think Legursky will make the roster. I was watching him and he was playing quite well. He played left guard and center last night. We need someone flexible to move around on the line in case we have injuries. I think we will see him in Black and Gold on opening day.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Postion flexibility. The key to Legursky. Im counting the days til I can officially get his jersey.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

That is a huge plus for the Stillers, Having a FA come thru on our weakest position
Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

I am rewatching the game right now (live in DC)

Theisman is running his mouth about how it takes 3 people to block HAynesworth and then Batch is in shotgun in a 5 wide set and Legursky man handles Haynesworth 1-on-1 !!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY

Legursky is a beast....they should keep him in uniform on Sundays as backup guard and center. he's better than Stapleton maybe
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post

Theisman is running his mouth about how it takes 3 people to block HAynesworth and then Batch is in shotgun in a 5 wide set and Legursky man handles Haynesworth 1-on-1 !!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY

Legursky is a beast....they should keep him in uniform on Sundays as backup guard and center. he's better than Stapleton maybe
MAN...I love to hear that!!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:

Yep. I only saw one time where Legursky was bullrushed by Haynesworth. Even then, Haynesworth ONLY got in on the play because Starks allowed his guy to come around him and force Batch way up into the pocket.

I think the interior of Kemo, Hartwig, Legurskey is going to be SOLID. Colon seems to be doing pretty well too, which means that the only place we are really struggling in LT. Starks just keeps getting worked over there. Hopefully, Essex can slide over and take that position.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yep. I only saw one time where Legursky was bullrushed by Haynesworth. Even then, Haynesworth ONLY got in on the play because Starks allowed his guy to come around him and force Batch way up into the pocket.

I think the interior of Kemo, Hartwig, Legurskey is going to be SOLID. Colon seems to be doing pretty well too, which means that the only place we are really struggling in LT. Starks just keeps getting worked over there. Hopefully, Essex can slide over and take that position.
Legursky is so solid in the lower body, that his percieved lack of height is actually an advantage. He is a solid knee bender and gets such good leverage that DT's have an impossible time in getting under his pads.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:

I disagree. Legursky is better than Stapleton......DEFINATELY!

Good to see the kid progress, because he looked awful at this time last year, but is a naturally solid kid that carrys his 325lbs well.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I disagree. Legursky is better than Stapleton......DEFINATELY!

Good to see the kid progress, because he looked awful at this time last year, but is a naturally solid kid that carrys his 325lbs well.
ok you convinced me, I agree :)
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote