Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default This team has major problems... of the good kind

It seems like the coaching staff has some serious decisions ahead of them. Yes, it has been debated here and there... but I want to look at it all in one thread.

Who will disrupt the 53 man roster?

1. Legursky. This kid is an absolute stud. I watrched him VERY specifically tonight. You all DO realize he was going up against Haynesworth tonight right? There was only one time that he got pushed to the point where Haynesworth could disrupt the play. Even there, it was as much another lineman screwing up, making Batch step up into Haynesworth. Legursky deserves to be given a shot with Kemo and Hartwig, either at center or at RG. He is going to cause serious headaches in the 53 man roster.

2. Logan. Ok, I know what everyone is saying. This kid is good, but why give him a spot if he can only return kicks? Well, I have to say one thing. 39 YARD AVERAGE! Now, as I said in another thread. I want to see him in another game against other ST's. However, this kid should send ripples through the 53 man roster. I think he will beat out someone simply because in the end, the yardage he picks up is going to be worth more than what some others can bring.

3. And yes, this is going to be controversial-- Davis. He is blocking, he is leading, I haven't seen him put a wrong foot on the field...and quite a few right feet. He is not going to go anywhere, which means that backfield is going to get REALLY interesting, ESPECIALLY with Logan.

So who gets knocked out? I don't know, but I can tell you all this much. It sure is a nice problem to have.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503
Default Re: This team has major problems... of the good kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

So who gets knocked out? I don't know, but I can tell you all this much. It sure is a nice problem to have.
Well it's still too early to say ....

They could just keep Logan as 1 of the 4 RB's and a FB, but I'm not sure they would do that after last year's injury plague in the backfield. They have to keep a big durable RB on the depth chart behind Willie and Rashard.

Mundy becomes expendable at Safety so long as either Deshea or Roy can play dual positions.

Or they may cut down by one LB and let Davis and A. Harrison go to make space????

That would open the spot for Logan if the Steelers keep 5 RB's and a FB.

But it's CB that then becomes a major battle too.

Ike, Gay, Keenan ... then who? .... Ratliff looks strong! ... Deshea could finally become expendable this year if Roy gets kept. They won't keep 6 CB's and that means Madison is gone too, as is Burnett.

Burnett is heading to the practice squad from what I can figure out. He played himself out of a roster spot for a season.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

I think Dixon is another good probelm to have. Do we keep 3 QBS? Maybe Batch can go and his spot can go to Logan.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Not a chance.

Not to mention that Dixon may have sprained his AC joint.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Yeah, the Logan situation is a strange (but extremely welcomed) sight to behold - the notion of the Steelers with an exciting return game feels like a fantasy. I hope he's the real deal and if he is they better find a spot for him.

I'm already excited about having health back in the run game as well as not having to put up with a bum punter, to have a return game on top of it all after just winning a Superbowl is very exciting to think about.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Definiti0n View Post
I think Dixon is another good probelm to have. Do we keep 3 QBS? Maybe Batch can go and his spot can go to Logan.
i would rather have a proven QB be the backup QB. i don't not want to see the kordell days revisited.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
i would rather have a proven QB be the backup QB. i don't not want to see the kordell days revisited.
without Ben we lose anyway..... so play Dixon as #2 and let him grow.

our offensive system is not a Patriots system.. Plug and Play..

They run a system of plays were Orton could run and win games...

We run plays that Ben is the master of, without the big Ben scramble going on noone else can take the reigns and win consistently on our offense.

We are not a plug and play offense.... I wish we were, but hey we won a SB...

Arians runs a Hike and Pray........
Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I disagree we lose without Ben . . . don't get me wrong, he is one, if not the best QB in the league, but we won just fine with (forgot his name dammit) and Batch in the past filling in. We should keep all 3 QB's. I also think we keep Townsend because he can play corner or saftey and Tomilin likes players that can fill 2 roles. I bet we drop one of the RB prospects to the PS and fill Logan in there. I agree with the notion of good starting field position is more important than a RB who will not see the field!
Rotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

We have a log jam at CB also.

With Burnett and Lewis looking like legitimate players...and with signing Keiwan Ratliff we now have:

Burnett
K.Lewis
Ratliff
Madison
Gay
Taylor
Townsend
R. Lewis

This may be the end of Townsend!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
I'm not sure I'm getting where you're coming from here, Steeldude. Who is the "proven QB" - Batch? The only thing he has proven to me in all the years I've watched him play with Detroit and the Steelers is that he can hand off a ball pretty well. He has a noodle arm, happy feet and folds when pressured. Don't get me wrong - I like the guy as a person and think he would make an excellent coach somewhere on the Steelers staff, but a "proven QB" he is not. Besides - my stomach can't take the roller coaster ride when he is called upon to replace Ben.

Good points Father. We really have some nice depth at key positions and it's going to be difficult for Tomlin and his coaches to get down to the final 53. Imho - Logan is a must-have and will really give the ST's a huge boost, along with having DSep back and booting that pigskin.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote