Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default I know...I know it's early, but I still think this team will miss Larry Foote

Foote was always in position against the run. I don't know how many of those runs in the 1st defensive series were up the middle, but I seem to remember several. Foote wasn't spectacular, but he was steady.

Timmons may be faster and a bigger hitter, but I'm not sure he will be as consistent as Foote was.

I'm not hating on Timmons at all. Just saying that Foote was an important and steady cog in our defense.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183
Default Re: I know...I know it's early, but I still think this team will miss Larry Foote

I don't know if what you are talking about is a result of being out of position, but if it is... I would think that is correctable. LB Coach will watch film and if that is the case get it corrected.

The upside of Timmons is far greater than Foote, and if we miss Foote it will be the near short term not the long term.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521
Default Re: I know...I know it's early, but I still think this team will miss Larry Foote

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
I don't know if what you are talking about is a result of being out of position, but if it is... I would think that is correctable. LB Coach will watch film and if that is the case get it corrected.

The upside of Timmons is far greater than Foote, and if we miss Foote it will be the near short term not the long term.
most of the big runs came off our right side , their LT
Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I loved Larry Foote as much as most Steelers fans, but 2 preseason games and limited playing time for Timmons really isn't enough time, imho, to really make any kind of assessment on how he is going to fare replacing Foote. I thought Timmons has done OK thus far and I really believe he is going to be a standout on that D very soon.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I loved Larry Foote as much as most Steelers fans, but 2 preseason games and limited playing time for Timmons really isn't enough time, imho, to really make any kind of assessment on how he is going to fare replacing Foote. I thought Timmons has done OK thus far and I really believe he is going to be a standout on that D very soon.
I couldnt agree more.

Timmons is a force. Let him get a few games under his belt and he will get rid of theose jitters that might make him hesitate ...and get him back to just covering his assignment.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

It is still way too early to come to judgements on Timmons. It's only the 2nd preseason game. He will be a force to be reckoned with come regular season.

Preseason doesn't mean much to vets other than a tune-up. Preseason is more about giving other guys a shot to build some depth on your team.

But, I do miss Foote. He just kind of always quietly did his job. Always there making or helping to make plays. I was sorry he had the feelings that he did and how he left. He probably could have gone anywhere, but chose to go back to his hometown on arguably the worst team in the league. I wish him well and hope he can whip those guys into shape.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Foote will B missed in our hearts as a Steeler, but I personally think that his plays won't B missed, since Timmons looks like he'd do just fine.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

The way Timmons was getting pancaked by RB's it might be wise to put him back on ST and 3rd down plays and put Keyaron Fox in there for a look. Fox made a beautiful play at the goaline coming up and stuffing the guy. THAT'S how you do it!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
wadester47
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2745

Larry was my favorite D player, no offense Troy- but I will miss him. But Being a steelers fan you know how the routine goes, when a player is loosing a step , missing plays and has Timmons behind him- it's time to move on.
Enjoy those rings Foote!
wadester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
ANDYMISIU
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13987

I've really backed Timmons in 100's of arguments against him being a bust. I've justified his pick and have been a big supporter. However, he looked horrible last night and not very good in the first game. He's getting man handled in the trenches, he can't get off a block, he over pursues, and he always seems to be out of position. the Redskins went right at him!! As it stands now, he is a big liability in our run defense. You can butter it up all you want ("he'll get better, it's coachable") all you you want, but right now, I'm worried.

I have his Jersey! and watch him on almost every play to see how he's handling the new job. It's not looking good.

I still have faith in him, but instead of being sure that he can get the job done, now I'm hoping he can get the job done.
ANDYMISIU is offline   Reply With Quote