Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: I know...I know it's early, but I still think this team will miss Larry Foote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
good post.

I liked Foote but come on. Every time i see athread like this I wonder if the thread creater was a fan in the 90's when we lost probowlers almost every year. They just keep plugging in good young talent and coach them up
Relax SteelHead. I have been a fan since the mid 70's. I am fully aware of what happened in the 90's, before, and after that. You can put your fan police card back in your wallet.

I was making a general statement. Right now though, Fox looks better in the middle than Timmons does....and neither has been a full time starter before this season. Timmons has tremendous explosion and speed, but his speed has taken him out of some plays.

Like I said in the first post, I am not hating on Timmons. I just think the defense will miss Foote...perhaps only for the short term...but non-the-less, they will miss his steady play in the middle.

Last edited by BlastFurnace; 08-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: I know...I know it's early, but I still think this team will miss Larry Foote

Check this game tape out

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7417

Uh-Oh, Lawrence Timmons struggles against the run.

Two preseason games in the books and in both contests Lawrence Timmons has looked very shaky vs the run. We all thought it was odd last year when Timmons appeared ready to start yet remained on the bench on 1st and 2nd down. Larry Foote was clearly playing his last season with the Steelers yet still held down the starting job over Timmons.

We may be slowly starting to understand why Timmons was being “hidden” and only came onto the field on 3rd down and passing situations. He’s great at getting to the QB, he can drop into a zone, and is athletic enough to cover a RB, TE, or even a WR in coverage.

Two meaningless preseason games aren’t enough visual evidence to send us into a panic but the Steelers need Timmons to plug holes, track the ball, shed blocks, and tackle guys in the run game.

While Timmons has struggled a bit through two games, Keyaron Fox has looked fantastic. He is playing so well, in fact, that some people out there wouldn’t mind seeing Fox step into Foote’s old role as the ILB on 1st and 2nd down and then giving way to Timmons on 3rd and passing situations.

It’s a bit early to suggest a move as drastic as this, but it really wouldn’t be a bad idea if Keyaron Fox is able to keep up this level of play. I’m not ready to go this far just yet, but it’s nice to know that if for some reason Timmons struggles, Fox is a guy that is capable of stepping in and playing the role of Larry Foote. It’s also important to note that Fox is being given the chance to see some action with the starters in short-yardage and goal line situations. Obviously the coaches like the way he is playing right now.

Take a look at the 2 minute video we posted below. Timmons flashes his speed and skill a few times but he also has some incredibly ugly snaps. Fox is also featured and looks great. I think you will find that Timmons struggles when the ball is run right at him. When the ball goes the other direction, he is great at tracking down the ballcarrier with his speed. Fox on the other hand looks like a natural ILB and doesn’t care if the play is run at him or away from him. He sheds blocks, tracks the ball, and makes a play.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Relax SteelHead.
I am relaxed. Here was my first post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
I'm not worried at all

Timmons will learn the position. A lot of it comes with experience which he is getting now so he will get better every game. His upside is way better than Foote

Remember Foote sucked and was out of position a lot when he was a rookie. (not hating on Foote just that it took him a while to become a good player too)
I like Fox too. If Timmons isn't getting the job done, I dont think Lebeau will hesitate to put Fox in more. Fox is looking real good and he did come in with the 1st team D in the goal line situation and he stuffed Portis on 3rd and goal
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Whether it be Timmons or someone else, I still stand by what I said before; the Steelers are never short on LB talent. Holding on to Foote would have been more harmful in the long run even if losing him hurts a bit in the short. Keep in mind the Steelers have an easier schedule this season, although I guess playing the Titans the first game could be some cause for concern but it isn't until week 7 before they face another run juggernaut.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #25
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Has everyone forgotten that Timmons played more snaps in the playoffs than Foote?

And we all know how terribly that ended...
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #26
Fire Haley
Banned

As Tomlin would say: "Put it on tape"
Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
ANDYMISIU
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Check this game tape out

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7417

Uh-Oh, Lawrence Timmons struggles against the run.

Two preseason games in the books and in both contests Lawrence Timmons has looked very shaky vs the run. We all thought it was odd last year when Timmons appeared ready to start yet remained on the bench on 1st and 2nd down. Larry Foote was clearly playing his last season with the Steelers yet still held down the starting job over Timmons.

We may be slowly starting to understand why Timmons was being “hidden” and only came onto the field on 3rd down and passing situations. He’s great at getting to the QB, he can drop into a zone, and is athletic enough to cover a RB, TE, or even a WR in coverage.

Two meaningless preseason games aren’t enough visual evidence to send us into a panic but the Steelers need Timmons to plug holes, track the ball, shed blocks, and tackle guys in the run game.

While Timmons has struggled a bit through two games, Keyaron Fox has looked fantastic. He is playing so well, in fact, that some people out there wouldn’t mind seeing Fox step into Foote’s old role as the ILB on 1st and 2nd down and then giving way to Timmons on 3rd and passing situations.

It’s a bit early to suggest a move as drastic as this, but it really wouldn’t be a bad idea if Keyaron Fox is able to keep up this level of play. I’m not ready to go this far just yet, but it’s nice to know that if for some reason Timmons struggles, Fox is a guy that is capable of stepping in and playing the role of Larry Foote. It’s also important to note that Fox is being given the chance to see some action with the starters in short-yardage and goal line situations. Obviously the coaches like the way he is playing right now.

Take a look at the 2 minute video we posted below. Timmons flashes his speed and skill a few times but he also has some incredibly ugly snaps. Fox is also featured and looks great. I think you will find that Timmons struggles when the ball is run right at him. When the ball goes the other direction, he is great at tracking down the ballcarrier with his speed. Fox on the other hand looks like a natural ILB and doesn’t care if the play is run at him or away from him. He sheds blocks, tracks the ball, and makes a play.
I don't think he played as bad in these clips as one might think. Lets look at it play by play.

Play 1- He did his job and met the lead blocker in the hole allowing his boys to make the tackle.

Play 2- He controlled the back side of the play and was ready for any cut back. He stayed home, good play.

Play 3- He got blown the F up! no doubting that, however next time he needs to recognize who he's up against and take the lead blocker out by cutting his legs. Give him credit for trying to deliver a blow.

Play 4- He should have stayed home on this play, he was out of position. Should be corrected at this point by watching the tape.

Play 5- Made a great goaline play by shedding his block and tracking down the ball carrier.

Play 6- He did his job and took out the lead blocker forcing the back to run inside which allowed Fox to make that play. If he doesn't do that the back runs to the pylon.

Play 7- He makes a great play.

I think you need to know what your watching before you go making comments and articles about it. Is Fox playing great? sure, good for us to have depth. Foote and Timmons combined last year to make one heck of a linebacker, but Timmons is the better all around player. He may not be as sturdy against the run as Foote was, but his athleticism more than makes up for it. Timmons will allow Dick to create some pretty amazing blitz packages which won't be seen in preseason. Timmons will also create more turnovers and loss of yardage plays with his sacks. I think we gain more with Timmons in the game then we lose with Foote out. Timmons is only going to get better and is continuing to be coached at the position.

Nice try, but no cigar on this story.

I actually gained my confidence in Timmons back after watching those clips.
ANDYMISIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
I actually gained my confidence in Timmons back after watching those clips.
Everybody sees what they want.

I was actually encouraged by what I saw from Timmons too - yeah - he got pancaked, but he was aggressive and attacked the line. He's still a work in progress against the run, this will be his first year as a starter.

Of course, if all else fails, put Fox in there and let Timmons take back his blitz and nickle package role like last year on obvious passing downs. Time will tell. Defense is more than a collection of individuals, they all have to work together.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #29
Fire Haley
Banned

p.s. - the whole defense looked like they were ready for pizza and a movie instead of playing in that slop.

Keep them all healthy going into the season and I will be a happy camper.