Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Views of the Steelers loss to Washington

Views of the Steelers loss to Washington
August 23, 7:23 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...-to-Washington

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Pittsburgh Sports Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use.
Email Address

While there was some good, some bad and some ugly as is expected in a Pre-season contest, here's some that stood out.

Stefan Logan - He was all everything in Canada. The Steelers took a gamble and signed him to see what he could do, and it appears they have found their return man. He showed his speed on his first two kickoff returns averaging 26 yards. But on his third he was on fire. Logan not only fielded the kick, but he raced 60 yards.He also looked impressive taking back punts. The one return that really impressed me was in the second quarter with five minutes remaining. He did a good job using his head on a 15 yard return that enabled the Steelers to start from their 38 yard line and eventually take a 10-3 lead into half. Very impressive in his first action as an NFL player.

Dennis Dixon- When he was drafted in 2008, people scoffed. Why do we need another quarterback, and one who was injured his senior year. Then there was the thought, OK, we have another Antwaan Randel El. Well, Dixon not only has showed signs of brilliance in his first two games, but against the Skins, he showed great poise on the field.

Charlie Batch - You have to mention Batch, if only for the fact he was starting and it was a chance to see if he still has what it takes to lead the first team.Last year when the Steelers played the Redskins on Monday night, Ben Roethlisberger went down, and the Steelers backup Byron Leftwich came in and did a more than adequate job of moving the offense. With Roethlisberger sidelined, good guy Charlie Batch got the nod as starter, and well after a rough start, where he had five incompletions, Batch settled down and helped engineer the Steelers first scoring drive. He did have a 47 yard pass to

Doug Legursky - He was signed as a free-agent out of Marshall last year, and the Steelers got to see what he was made of, as this week instead of being at center, he took Chris Kemeoto's place, who was out with a rib injury and had to face Pro Bowler Albert Haynesworth. The verdict? Not a bad job. He came off the ball well, and sure he got pushed back a few times, but what I liked was on the Steelers scoring drive, he did a nice job holding his own against the Pro Bowler.

Keiwan Ratliff - He had a tremendous camp, a nice first game and continues to impress. Ratliff had some monter hits, and also had a 20 -yard interception return.

Bruce Davis - On the opening kickoff he did a great job of crossing the field and chasing down the Redskins return man. I'd like to see more of this guy, and don't know why he doesn't get more reps. Still believe he is on the bubble, but he has made the best of his time on the field this year.

Shaun McDonald - He has yet to see action with the first team, but out of the slot, he has caught everything but the kitchen sink.

Dan Sepulveda - So you still think Dan Sepulveda wasn't worth a fourth round pick? After a stellar performace in his first game back, he followed it up with yet another great night on the field and in sloppy conditions.

Goal Line stance - A three receiver look with a fullback in the backfield seemed to confuse the Steelers first team defense on the first series and the Redskins moved the ball with ease, it enabled the Skins to get their running game moving. But when it came to punching it in, it was nice to see the Steelers goaline defense hold the Skins to just three.

Tony Hills- Twice during the first half he was flagged for illegal formation. Yes, he is learning, but if he is to make the 53 or practice squad he needs to show somthing. The Steelers need help on the line, but Hills days in the Black and Gold appear to be drawing to a close.

Twin backs - It was nice to see Rashard Mendenhall and Willie Parker lined up in the same backfield for the first time since the Philadelphia game last September. Parker made a nice run, behind some good blocking by Willie Colon while Mendenhall looked much improved over last week.

OVERALL PLAY- C - There were some nice individual performances and there were some sloppy ones. So why a C? The reason for this is simple -execution. In the first half, the Steelers had 10 penalties. Part of it was officiating, but in the regular season this could be a problem if it continues. The Steelers defense also allowed 167 yards rushing, which is uncanny of them. If there was a positive, it was the secial teams play, although Jeff Reed did miss two in a row, after being given another chance due to a penalty.

Last edited by HometownGal; 08-23-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Removed double posting of article.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Views of the Steelers loss to Washington

All I can say is a few years ago we were having serious issues with punting, returns & special teams in general. It is great to see how far it appears we have come in two years.

Dixon may be the real deal & kudos to Logan.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Glad to hear Legursky did really well againest Haynesworth. Ratliff and McDonald appear to be the guys no one is talking about but are impressing.Logan has gotten alot of praise after 1 game kinda like Redman. Lets see what happens next week to cement that roster spot.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I have decided to take only the positives from that mess on the field.

Sepulveda is a God and we found our kickoff returner. Logan was dazzling.

That is all
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I have decided to take only the positives from that mess on the field.

Sepulveda is a God and we found our kickoff returner. Logan was dazzling.

That is all
Yeppers! You nailed it.

Other than the abudance of penalties and the final score, I really couldn't take much negative out of this game. Coach T and his coaching staff have one difficult task ahead of them when trying to trim the roster. These guys are really battling it out to make this team and most of the youngins have been quite impressive in these 2 preseason games.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I love what I saw from Logan as well and just wonder why he wasnt out there in the first game. He seems to be the real deal at returning anyways and looks like someone that might be better off getting some touches on offense as well. He looks like he would be hell to get a hold of on trick or gadget plays.
As far as our Offensive Line... it is still a Joke. I know this Redskins defense is stoubt and all, but they looked terrible last night.. they have not improved at all.
Sepulveda will make this whole team better in my opinion. Dixon is destined to be the backup QB in Pittsburgh and the Steelers should consider saving some $$$ and letting Batch find work elsewhere.
This Is My First Bost For Offensive Line Coach Larry Zierlein to be promoted to Janitor as well... he is Not Getting the Job Done... Its time for him to go
Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
mcopenhaver
Water Boy

Member Number: 13164

What about Sweed? A brilliant catch on one hand but a drive-killing drop on the other. Still not so sure about him...
mcopenhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcopenhaver View Post
What about Sweed? A brilliant catch on one hand but a drive-killing drop on the other. Still not so sure about him...
Reminds me of Washington...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Sweed is good over the middle, don't throw to him on the side. Not too many balls will be thrown his way with Ward and Holmes on the field anyway.

Special teams with Logan and Sepulvida will give us field position. We are way deep in receivers. Running game is fine. Defense is the class of the NFL. We also have a pretty good set of QBs. OL needs to protect the QB. There was no BB running around, it was strictly pocket collapsing all around.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Number 1 dropping Batch is not an option. We need the Vet experience behind BB. Not sure that we are way deep on recievers. And our running game is not fine. Danny S is a stud. and Logan is a keeper.