Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Preacher's offensive first team breakdown play by play-vs. Skins.

1st Drive, 1st play.

Line up 2 wide left (top of screen) with a single back. 2 TE's on the right.

it is a screen pass to Willie. The TE's and Essex have thier guys sealed off nicely. hartwig lets his guy slip through a bit... but with enough for the play to develop. Either he sold the screen BEAUTIFULLY, or he struggled just a little bit... either way ti worked. Legursky steps in and chips Hartwigs guy giving him help, and then is already out to the left ready to take on the LB as a Lead block for Willie. Dang. I just can't help it, this Legurskey kid is just impressive.

And then...well, there is Starks. He just gets manhandled. THe RE works around him and gets a big mit up in the air... AND, Starks was holding as well.

Willie was going to be in the open, with the closest guy without a blocker 12 yards away and half way across the feild. The safety is over 15 yards upfield. Willie is standing on the left hash marks (center left of field) with a hole side to run to. BEAUTIFUL scripted play... Starks blew it up.

The rest of the right side of the line seemed to all release their guys on cue for the screen... great timing by colon and Essex. and the TE's.

Drive one, Play one (after penalty).

receiver split wide up top, ward down below on the inside of the nubmers. 2 back weakside offset with a TE on the left side of the line. The d line has four hands down and three lbs... they are shifting all to the top (strong side) and then start shifting back. there are 8 in the box at snap.

Interesting.. Essex is the first one off the snap.. quick reactions. He seems to be moving With the BALL.. dang.

Wow. How to explain this? It looked almost like a short pass to Willie. However, the Skins blitz six.

Ok. Starks gets used as a pylon again. No need to harp on it.
Legursk get pushed back about 3 yards, then steps in and gives a NICE shove. Thayt is the end of that rush... BTW, remember he is lining up acrossed from haynesworth. Hartwig. Sigh. Does a good job blocking. Then, he is 2 and a half yards downfield by the time the ball is thrown... technically, he should have been called for illegal man downfield. Essex seems to barehug his guy. He aint going anywhere. Nice job Essex. Colon comes off the ball and takes the LE. moving in. He then passes him off to hit the MLB on a stunt to the outside of the LE. He does a good job blocking both of them. However, there was no one there to pass off the DE too. The FB was sent on a passing route. Willie turned for the pass... so yeah, it was supposed to be a screen.. but it was blown up by the blitz. Just too many bodies around.

Drive one play 2

Trips left, in tight against the line. One man split out wide, low by the field numbers. Willie is in the backfield next to w Batch. 7 are in the box against them... four have their hands down and will come against the line.. 4 on 5 matchup. Charlie is in the shotgun.

Colon takes about 3 steps back before his guy engages him. Willie P. comes around and clips him, pushing him into Colon. Essex is on the other side with his guy. The D cross and both Willie and Essex switch off. The pocket has collapses somewhat, but there is still a black shirt between each skin and Batch... so there is plenty of protection, but no pocket.

Hartwig is the odd guy out, with no one to block. He keeps his head up, steps back in unison with the line. NICE... Starks pushes his guy (maybe a RE stunt to the inside) and Starks controls him coming over to Hartwig, who pops him. Together, they have complete control of the stunt. Nice too see.

Legursk is bullrushed by Haynesworth. 6 yards behind the LOS Leg. puts an end to it and begins to control haynesworth, looks like he is actually holding the arm and shoulderpad a bit.. nice work though. Haynesworth does NOT get a look at Batch. Leg is between them the entire time.

Batch decides to throw it to his outguy.. Willie P. It is high and willie has to go up to get it. Nice catch by Willie knowing a guy is barreling in on him.

Batch had 4.5 seconds to throw the ball, and if he moved back a few steps, he would have had even more time. This is a MASSIVE D line they are playing against... honestly, that was VERY good protection, either it was great coverage down field, or a bad decision by Batch.

Drive 1 play 3

Alright. trips left (TE part of it) Holmes split right. Batch in shotgun with Mendy (I think) to his side.

colon has his guy solid. He backs up about 3 steps and when he engages his guy, his guy goes no further trowards Batch. The LT stunts to the outside and Mendy gives him a NICE pop... WOOOOWWW... Nice job right side of hte line. ....

Ok. the LT stunts outside. Essex let him go. Colon released his guy to Essex who jams him up... LE is not going to get to Batch. Mendy comes in and pops stunting LT, which gives Colon the half second needed to reengage... he is going no where either. BEAUTIFULLY played and orchestrated. WOW.

Hartwig-- Can't say much. He hiked the ball, didn't have anyone come through to him.. so he backs up to give the right side help. Played it how it was probably drawn up.

Legursky is playing against a MONSTER. leg drives Haynesworth to the left, pushing him beyond Batch. If you can't stop them, then use their momentum agianst them. Nice job. I would rather seem him stop Haynesworth cold... but good luck. Hartwig came in and popped Hayneworth at the end for some extra help. Beatiful line play here. Starks is infront of his guy the entire time. There is a nice yard hole opened up for Batch to step through and run or throw. matter of fact, IMO, Ben would have been able to run through it ot the side and extend this play for at least another 4-5 seconds.

Batch had about 3.5 to 4 seconds to throw the ball, and had he stepped back or up through the hole, could have extended it even more. GOOD JOB O LINE (did I really say that??????).

This was the play that was thrown over the head of Heath and then the penalty was called on the late hit.

Drive 1 Play 4

I formation. TE to the right. Split out left bbeyond the numbers. 8 guys in the box and a ninth just outside it.

Well, that is what happens when you try to run against 9 in the box. O line Leg and a couple others got a decent push... but it was stalemated at the LOS. Kind of tough when you have 9 D engaging the play within a second and a half of the snap.

Ok. Starks is on the inside of his guy, but there is no hole the FB Davis has to come up and put a block on the LB coming through, but that clogs any lane.. to the left. Parker has to cut back right. He gets a hand around his ankle behind the LOS, another guy wrapping him up AT the LOS, and a third guy undercutting him half a yard BEYOND the LOS. Parker still moves it about 3 yards... honestly, that was very impressive for Parker for how many people got a hand or body on him at the LOS...
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Default Re: Preacher's offensive first team breakdown play by play-vs. Skins.

Drive 1 play 5

Penalty... I formation again. Let's try again

Drive 1 Play 5 part deux

Singleback. 3 receivers with Ward in the slot, and two others split wide on top and below. Batch under center. TE on the right side.

Play action fooled NO ONE.

Somthered at the LOS.

Only thing I can say here... Colon is a monster driving his guy YARDS off the LOS. Leg. had his guy on his knees and starting to bend over backwards. Unfortunately, with know where to go, parker was trying to run right by Haynsworth and was wrapped up by him and another player.

I don't know why Willie is running into the tackles, but it seems that if he tried bounce quite a few of these outside, he would break a lot more runs. It looks like he is being told to go inside... when he should be going outside on mANY of those plays.

Drive 1 play 6

Ok.. I gotta give Starks Credit when it comes do. let's back up though. Trips right (TE included in trips) guy split to the left. Batch in shotgun with Willie next to him. 7 in the box with 2 more very close. The RE stunts inside of the RT. Hartwig and Essex has picked up the LG. Leg. gets driven back by Haynesworth, but again stuffs him up. THe RE comes around on the Stunt and Legurs gives him a push as Legursk. reaches and then falls to the ground. However, Starks has stepped backa nd tracked him coming through the crowd. He meets him coming around legursky and at the last second hits the RE, allowing Batch to step up and throw the ball. VERY nice job by Starks on not giving up on that play.

Colon. Solid as a rock. BTW, there is 3 seconds before batch has to step out of the pocket to extend the play. That is probably the worst line play yet... AND it was a stunt.. AND it was picke dup pretty well.

BTW, the pass was the one where Santo grabs the ball as it bounces off the ground and runs with it. However, Santo shows he is ABSOLUTELY in the game mentally with that grab and run. If Plaxico had his mental alertness, Plax would have been unstoppable.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Drive 2 play 1

(Dang Logan... we gotta make room for him. Ok, on to the offense).

THERE WE GO!!!

receivers are to the left, in tight. Strong side right, offset weakside I formation. Ward goes in motion. 8 men in the box against them.

Ward stops and is now lined up as an upback. There are virtually 9 men in the box.

Ok, at first I thought Legursky felt about as used as a wingman on a date. However, it seems he came in and sealed off the DT along with Hartwig. Hines and Heath take care of the DE. That allowed the Colon and Essex to move into the second level and take on two LB's. Nice play, but there is a BUTTLOAD of bodies piled up, with Hayneworth, who came behind Legursky chasing from the backside. it seemed that this was almost designed, as Willie started out right and kept going that way. BTW, Starks Stones his guy. It seems that he just needs a first drive to warm up. It was the same way last week.

LOLOLOL. Ward gets kicked back about 5 yards.. bounced back like a big red rubber ball. However, Willie turns on the jets and gets round the corner for about a 7 yard gain. I have to wonder if the coaches were purposely running Willie inside for a while, just to see what was going to happen. Now they are giving him some freedom maybe? Who knows. but that was nicely done.

Drive 2 Play 2

Dang. They bring 7. Ok. Two receivers at the top, Hines at the bottom. Willie in the backfield alone. Batch under center. Mass blitz here.

Well, forget what I said about Starks. He is again used as a pylon. Just round right around the guy. Dang. That forces Batch to step up into a pocket that is being forced back. Haynesworth is driving legurskey back... and Batch has to step up passed him. Haynesworth reaches out with a hand touches Batch. not sure I can blame legursky for that... maybe 50 percent. He WAS driven back a decent way. however, he is ALSo playing possibly the BEST 4-3 DT in the NFL.

Hartwig on the other hand, was owning his guy... until a spin move left Hartwig's jock laying on the ground a la Starks last week. BEAUTIFUL MOVE.

Colon got pushed to the ground, but STill was able to stay between the guy and Batch. Good job. Essex did a great job blocking. Heath completely drove his guy beyond Batch. BTW, it was a Play action that just didn't pan out. A shame, because if he DID hand it off, Willie could have gone quite a ways with it.

OH MAN. THere was a GERAT hole... and Willie only had one man to beat. A SHAME it wasn't an actual hand off.

You know, I have to start wondering if there is a tell... because Nobody is bighting on anything. I gotta keep my eyes open for it.

DRIVE 2 Play 3

Blitzing 7 BEAUTIFUL pickup by the entire line and RB corp. :clap:

Ok. Starks is one on one with his guy and takes him beyond Batch. Leg. is pared up with Haynesworth and has him under contorl. essex and Hartwig are double teaming and have their guy about to be folded in half. Colon Stones his guy, and another blitzer runs right into them... He in effect stoned two guys!! I thnk it is Heath Miller as a HB along with whom? I think it is mendy. two split wide left and right with another in the slot right.

Heath puts a nice stop on his guy. The other RB.. Mendy I think, steps across and drives his guy COMPLETLY out of the play.

Batch has at leat 4 seconds to get the ball out. Could have stepped to his right a couple steps and extend the play a few more seconds.

Ladies and gentlemen, The offensive line of the 70's, or 90's could not have picked up that blitz any better. It was PERFECTLY executed.

Great job line.

Nice pass to Santo Holmes who went upstairs to get it just beyond the first down marker.

2nd Drive, Play 4

WOW. Batch coulda smoked a cigerette back there before he threw this ball.

Ok, Skins rushing four. Heath steps up and clips Starks guy, giving him help. Starks has control of the guy after that. Nice job. The middle three are just a freaking WALL. Beautiful. Colon is great too.

Batch is under center, and throws the ball away about at the three count, but could have waited at least another 2-4 seconds... heck, maybe even longer. Incomplete... 50 50 that could have been passing interference. Oh. That was Mike Wallace. Wow.

People. If we give our QB that kind of time... We are going to have plays go IN THE AIR for 50 or 60 yards...if Ben can throw that far. These guys are so fast and scary. Wallace had his guy beat and the CB interfered with him.

2nd Drive Play 5

Just know,,, quick throw to Ward.. throw is low. However, it is out from the QB within 2 seconds. 3 step drop and boom. These kind of playes will REALLY slow down LB's from blitzing, as they will have to stay back to jump routes if we utilzie it. However, line was still pretty good... no one looked beat when the ball left Batches hand. MATTER OF FACT... Stark's first punch on his guy sent his guy backwards with both hand flailing in the air. Nice job Starks.

/RANT You know, starks is KILLING ME. If he played every time like he did this play, and two other plays on this drive, he would have been worth MORE than this last contract payed him.

Yet, on some other plays, he looks VASTLY OVERPAID. CONSISTENCY PLEASE STARKS!!!! I too have heard that about him since he came out of college. Sigh. RANT off.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Drive 2 play 1

THERE WE GO!!!
(Dang Logan... we gotta make room for him. Ok, on to the offense).

--- He is very direct and stealthy when he runs. he almost keeps the tackler close enough to him to think he is going to tackle logan, then logan fades off the guy.
kinda like a greased pig move..

THERE WE GO!!!

You know, I have to start wondering if there is a tell... because Nobody is bighting on anything. I gotta keep my eyes open for it.

--- I have been wondering about this thru last year.... but i think it is just 8-9 d in the box and rushing so it just lloks like a tell....... it is really just being out numbered....

Just know,,, quick throw to Ward.. throw is low. However, it is out from the QB within 2 seconds. 3 step drop and boom. These kind of playes will REALLY slow down LB's from blitzing, as they will have to stay back to jump routes if we utilzie it.

--- 87 and 86 would do fine for these plays.. We need to do this way more often.... this is part of the Patriots / Colts main staple.... Colts dont even use a running back...

However, line was still pretty good... no one looked beat when the ball left Batches hand.

--- These plays will help our OL more than anything
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Funny thing... Joe Theisman talking about it taking two to protect against Haynesworth, and Legursky is doing a GREAT job in this slo mo illustration of doing it himself. I do like the fact however, that there is NO redskins helmets around Batch.

2nd drive play 6

Wow. Boys and girls. We could be DANGEROUS if our line plays like they have in the last 2 or three plays.

Four wide. Halfback to the side of Batch. Almost four seconds before Batch throws the ball, and there is a VERY nice pocket around him. No one touches him. STarks does a GREAT job of picking up Haynesworth stunting to the outside. DANG YOU STARKS PLAY LIKE THIS THE ENTIRE GAME!!!!!!!! Leg. slides over to pick up Stark's guy and frees him up. SMooooooooooooooooth transition. Colon stones his guy again as he is trying to go outside. Essex gives about 2 or 3 yards and then puts on the breaks. Very good job by him. Hartwig back up looking for a place to help out, but doesn't find anywhere. Nothing on him, just everyone else was doing a great job. Ward makes a BEAUTIFUL catch going up top to grab it.

2nd drive play 7

Well. Steelers line up 5 wide. And guess what? Line has NO PROBLEM blocking. Starks has his guy locked up. The middle three are all on Haynesworth.. ROTFL... he is going no where. The defensive LT drops into coverage, and colon has his guy blocked perfectly. Heath runs a flag pattern into the flat and takes the ball up to a first down. Gotta admit. Gorgeous play all the way around.

Hey, Heath.. How did you like that Farmer's tan you got over in Latrobe? You look a little red there buddy!!

2nd Drive play 8
TE is to the right. I formation offset strong side. receivers spread left and right (2 of them). Ward moves in tight behind the TE. Because they are on the 3 yard line, there are 9 in or very close to the box. They begin by blitzing 5, but drop one guy in coverage. Starks has his guy kicked out to the left. No where NEAR Batch. The rest have their guys all piled together in one big jumble. None of them are going to get through. Batch seems to rush the throw instead of letting something develop. Matter of fact. it would have been interesting to throw it to willie in the opppositi flat and see if he could have beat his man to the endzone. Oh well. Ball was incomplete to the TE in the strong side flat... not a good throw.

2nd Drive, play 9

Ok. Willie scores on a run to the outside right. First. Colon pulls out and lays out a NICE block. People. I urge you all. Give Davis a second look. No, he doesn't blow guys up, but Willie followed him in, and Davis sealed off the corner and Willie just followed him into the endzone. NO WAY........... Sweed comes in and take on the RE.. Sweed looks about HALF the guys size... but he does a GREAT JOB blocking him. Sweed...make SURE Ward Sees this in your film study.

Everyone does a pretty good job. One guy knifes through but willie just out runs the guy.

Now, more on Davis. He meets his guy a yard before the endzone, and drives him about 4 yards back into the endzone. That was paramount in Willie scoring. Gotta give the man his due here.

Good eyes by willie on the run too.

GIVE LOGAN A PLACE ON THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd drive first play.

2nd quater, change of sides, and the camera men SUCK. It is hard to see much right now.

However, lots of pressure. Looks like a blitz of 6. mendenhall picked up his guy, but not completely. Essex guy finally got through. and Colon's did great. It was a well conceived defensive play. It wasn't completely picked up by the offense, but it looked NO WHERE near liked what the Philly game looked like either

3 seconds before Batch is under pressure. I don't know. I think I have to just give this one to the defense... Batch was able to slip through and throw one incomplete.

Ok. Slo mo from another angle is real interesting. Two guys are comin hard around the right side of the line. Starks and Leg trade off guys and they cross, and Starks is able to get his hands back on him as he comes at Batch. You know, not bad.

3rd drive second play

Ok.. this camera angle REALLY SUCKS.

So realy quick. Mendy gets hit behind the LOS. They blitz just about 8 people. There HAS to be some type of tell happening.

Oops. Wallace caught holding! that's not good.

3rd drive, Fourth play.

Much better camera angle. Two TE set to the left. one back. Batch up under center. Receiver split right, one split left, Wallace slot, moving back behind the te. Rushing four, all TE's receivers, and RB's run routes.

Starks drives his guy to the ground. Leg. drives his guy (Still Haynesworth) behind Batch. The right side of the line is solid. Essex is getting pretty impressive over there. Colon is a stud. Wallace had a nice catch.

4 seconds to throw AT LEAST.

3rd drive Fifth Play

How much am I going to say this? great protection in a 3 wide plus TE play. And it seems this is STILL agianst all the starters for the Skins. Come one Sweed. You gotta catch those!!!!!!!

punt. Sure is nice to see SEP punting.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

So how do I grade this?

Starks: Sigh. D +. WHen he is on, he does great. When he isn't, he is a pylon. Period.

Legursky. Ok. He was pushed around a little bit.. However, he was pushed around by Albert Haynesworth... and STILL held him to no sacks IMO. A pressure or two, but both of those were because other players (STARKS!!) really schrewed up and pushed the QB up the pocket to Haynesworth. All in all, I gotta say B-... but then I think it was Hayneworth, and gotta bump it up to at LEAST a B.

Hartwig. He did decently blocking. juked out of his jockstrap on a spin move and was upfield on a pass... should have been a penalty. So what do I grade him? Well. I'll give him a C. it was average. However, it WAS ONLY his first game back. So C is very much good enough right now.

Essex. Did very well comparatively. Didn't see much of a problem with him at all. C + to B-.

Colon. B+ to A-. Just can't grow a few more inches. But this guy is going to be here a long time.

Willie seems to be starting to see the outside.. and he has the speed to get there again. Davis played decent again. Didn't blow any blocks. Mendy seemed ok. It will take a bit longer for these guys to really get going. But its going to be ok.

I do think that this year, the pass is going to be come the primary element of this geam, and it will set up the run. I also think that is going to be a good thing.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

I did a little of OL breakdown in game one too and the worse player on the line was Starks... He has to be getting ripped in the film session. I am going to say that our first round pick will be left tackle in 2010...
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
So how do I grade this?

Starks: Sigh. D +. WHen he is on, he does great. When he isn't, he is a pylon. Period.

Legursky. Ok. He was pushed around a little bit.. However, he was pushed around by Albert Haynesworth... and STILL held him to no sacks IMO. A pressure or two, but both of those were because other players (STARKS!!) really schrewed up and pushed the QB up the pocket to Haynesworth. All in all, I gotta say B-... but then I think it was Hayneworth, and gotta bump it up to at LEAST a B.

Hartwig. He did decently blocking. juked out of his jockstrap on a spin move and was upfield on a pass... should have been a penalty. So what do I grade him? Well. I'll give him a C. it was average. However, it WAS ONLY his first game back. So C is very much good enough right now.

Essex. Did very well comparatively. Didn't see much of a problem with him at all. C + to B-.

Colon. B+ to A-. Just can't grow a few more inches. But this guy is going to be here a long time.

Willie seems to be starting to see the outside.. and he has the speed to get there again. Davis played decent again. Didn't blow any blocks. Mendy seemed ok. It will take a bit longer for these guys to really get going. But its going to be ok.

I do think that this year, the pass is going to be come the primary element of this geam, and it will set up the run. I also think that is going to be a good thing.
excellent job Preacher...
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

i said last week that the Steelers O-line can't do screen passes

sure enough the very first play was a screen and it was a total cluster-f***
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Just know,,, quick throw to Ward.. throw is low. However, it is out from the QB within 2 seconds. 3 step drop and boom. These kind of playes will REALLY slow down LB's from blitzing, as they will have to stay back to jump routes if we utilzie it.
These are the plays for McDonald and Ward to initiate that will keep QB's standing
watch video.

I know its not a steelers video. but this is the best sampling i can find