Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
Water Boy

Member Number: 14217
Default #14

You can say sweed has a couple drops here and there, but the truth is he makes spectacular catches. I understand it's not cool to drop the ball, but why bash sweed when hines and ward drop some balls as well? IMO Sweed drops the ball because of concentration or in other words he drops the ones he has too much time to think about. Sweed will be a very solid number 3 reciever this year, and will eventualoly be a great number two. Mark my word. I know wallace has been doing good, but he still seems kind of lost out there. Mcdonald has only gone up against 4th and 5th stringers so far, but i still think he will be a good insurance policy.
STEELTOWNBEATDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Hotrodder07
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13485
Default Re: #14

There's a difference between dropping a ball here and there (Ward) and consistently dropping at least 1 ball every game (Sweed). That said, I believe he will be a solid #3 this year, because the talent is there. He won't drop any more balls than Nate Washington would have. I think it's just a confidence issue. I still believe that he is crazy nervous, and he has too much time to think about catching the easy passes, but the difficult ones, instinct just takes over, and he makes a great play. I think he'll improve, it will just take a little more time.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
Water Boy

Member Number: 14217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodder07 View Post
There's a difference between dropping a ball here and there (Ward) and consistently dropping at least 1 ball every game (Sweed). That said, I believe he will be a solid #3 this year, because the talent is there. He won't drop any more balls than Nate Washington would have. I think it's just a confidence issue. I still believe that he is crazy nervous, and he has too much time to think about catching the easy passes, but the difficult ones, instinct just takes over, and he makes a great play. I think he'll improve, it will just take a little more time.

Just my opinion.
Yea i agree. He gets open more than our other receivers and has so much time to think about it. He just needs to polish his overall game. I think he is too worried about making the big play, therefore he is slacking on the easy grabs. He will get it with more reps and hard work. I'm a longhorn fan and Sweed is gonna be great. I say half way through the season he will be #2 receiver caliber.
STEELTOWNBEATDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELTOWNBEATDOWN View Post
You can say sweed has a couple drops here and there, but the truth is he makes spectacular catches. I understand it's not cool to drop the ball, but why bash sweed when hines and ward drop some balls as well? IMO Sweed drops the ball because of concentration or in other words he drops the ones he has too much time to think about. Sweed will be a very solid number 3 reciever this year, and will eventualoly be a great number two. Mark my word. I know wallace has been doing good, but he still seems kind of lost out there. Mcdonald has only gone up against 4th and 5th stringers so far, but i still think he will be a good insurance policy.
Sweed will be fine he does a good job at getting open. But I am still yet to see Wallace lost he is running some good routes and getting open and catching everything in site. Just my opinion.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Sweed will be fine he does a good job at getting open. But I am still yet to see Wallace lost he is running some good routes and getting open and catching everything in site. Just my opinion.
if he makes sure he holds the 3rd down balls, everyone will love him.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

Sweed will be a love 'em and hate 'em guy. He's going to make long spectacular catches over DB's then will drop a 3rd and 9 out or curl route.

This time next year I fully believe Wallace will be touted as the jewel in his draft class and will have overtaken Sweed... if he doesn't this year. I too don't see him as being lost. That catch on that slant route in the last game is a catch you just don't see a rookie making.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

I like the progress Sweed had made. I also like what I've seen from Wallace and McDonald

The 5 -WR set is coming back this year, prepare yourself!!!
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #8
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Wallace is doing fine. A hell of a lot better than where Sweed was at this time last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he passes Sweed on the depth chart
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
Sweed will be a love 'em and hate 'em guy. He's going to make long spectacular catches over DB's then will drop a 3rd and 9 out or curl route.

This time next year I fully believe Wallace will be touted as the jewel in his draft class and will have overtaken Sweed... if he doesn't this year. I too don't see him as being lost. That catch on that slant route in the last game is a catch you just don't see a rookie making.
You make some good points here. Although I believe these are two different animals. Sweed is built imo as more of a SE, and runs routes better on the outside. While Wallace is a guy that seems to thrive in the slot. This, I think, will give him more playing time over Sweed in the long run, because they will need to move Ward inside when he is on the field. Something Ward will do, but don't think he would want to take those hits that often anymore.

Either way, these are good problems to have. That is, worrying about how much playing time the 3, 4 and 5 receivers will get.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
You make some good points here. Although I believe these are two different animals. Sweed is built imo as more of a SE, and runs routes better on the outside. While Wallace is a guy that seems to thrive in the slot. This, I think, will give him more playing time over Sweed in the long run, because they will need to move Ward inside when he is on the field. Something Ward will do, but don't think he would want to take those hits that often anymore.

Either way, these are good problems to have. That is, worrying about how much playing time the 3, 4 and 5 receivers will get.
its a great problem. but yes... mcdonald, ward, wallace love that slot.

sweed and holmes should strech em out nice.

it will be nice to see all the new plays that fit this armada of receivers. look out
we will be strong.