Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Former UCLA standout Davis wants to make impact in second year for Steelers

Former UCLA standout Davis wants to make impact in second year for Steelers
August 26, 1:36 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...-for-Steelers#

PITTSBURGH - His name is Bruce Davis, but he is more like Bruce Wayne. Both are millionaires, both are mysterious. If the analogy is strange, there's a catch.

A highly touted prospect last year out of UCLA, who has NFL bloodlines as his father Bruce Sr. played 11 years for Oakland and Houston, the Steelers used its first pick on the second day of the 2008 draft to select Davis who was a stud in college at defensive end and recorded 24 1/2 sacks.BRUCE DAVIS

Too small to play the position in the NFL, the hope was his skills would matriculate into the same kind of mold that Joey Porter and Jason Gildon did when they made the transition from a college DE to a linebacker in the pros.

It never happened. Instead Davis was like a light switch with his play -on and off - that he say action in just five games and it was a mustery why.

" Last season I feel I fell short," Davis said. " I want to make an impact this year. I definitely want to help out this team in anyway that I can and I am looking to take steps forward."

Although no one expected Davis to play like a Porter, the team was hoping he could spell relief as a backup for the two current outside linebackers - James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, also a DE transplant to linebacker.

Instead, it was Patrick Bailey, a rookie free-agent last year, who impressed the coaches with his play, and still sits ahead of Davis on the depth charts.

But Davis does have one thing going for him, Woodley. If that sounds bizarre also, considering Woodley has proven himself, it shouldn't. Davis credits him for helping his game.
" If I have to say there is someone who has helped me out, its 'Wood'," Davis said. " We've been roommates in training camp, last year he quizzed me on things, and he still stays on me and says there are no guarantees and that you haven't done anything yet. He always stays on me and makes sure I go hard in everything."

Woodley's mentoring has seemed to pay off, and so far Davis has looked good when it comes to game time action.

In the opener, not only was he on the field quite a bit, he had a tackle behind scrimmage and also recorded an interception. Against the Skins, he showed he could play special teams, something he struggled at last year too, and made a nice cross field tackle on the opening series.

Still while the Steelers desperately need some relief help at the outside slot, since last years top backup Lawrence Timmons has moved into a starting role at the right inside slot, for Davis, who is on the bubble, there are no guarantees but hard work.

"I make no bones about the pressure I apply to second-year men so that they jump forward in a big way," Tomlin said. "It is no different than what we asked of Lawrence (Timmons), (LaMarr) Woodley, (Matt) Spaeth, William Gay and those guys to do a year ago. We expect this class to distinguish themselves if they want to be a part of this thing."

The question now, will Davis step his game up enough the next two pre-season games to secure a spot on the team, or will be be like another third round pick from UCLA the Steelers took in 1999, Kris Ferris, who played all but three games in the NFL during his brief two year career.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467
Default Re: Former UCLA standout Davis wants to make impact in second year for Steelers

What is he waiting for...week 3 of preseason?
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: Former UCLA standout Davis wants to make impact in second year for Steelers

He actually played pretty good against the Cards. I think playing will help him out.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Don't talk about it, do it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,619 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
He actually played pretty good against the Cards. I think playing will help him out.
Actually he didnt play well against the Cards. Davis looked weak and didnt get any push in the pass rush and got pushed around in the run game. The sack he got was because he got stonewalled by the LT and the QB happened to get pressured into him.

Essentially, the sack he got was the hockey equivalent to scoring a goal in hockey by the puck ricocheting off your ass and into the net.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Don't talk about it, do it.

Yes, I agree. Time to step it up.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Actually he didnt play well against the Cards. Davis looked weak and didnt get any push in the pass rush and got pushed around in the run game. The sack he got was because he got stonewalled by the LT and the QB happened to get pressured into him.

Essentially, the sack he got was the hockey equivalent to scoring a goal in hockey by the puck ricocheting off your ass and into the net.
Ill have to rewatch it. I might have confused him with another player. I know he had the sack and I thought I heard his name several times and saw him around the ball alot.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

to Davis:

Well....We're waiting.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Steeldude
Living Legend

i didn't like this pick when they drafted him. IMO, he will be cut, but the lack of depth at OLB could be the one thing that saves him
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

If we were hoping for a good outside pass rusher, we're not going to get it from a linebacker who's built like a wide receiver. Porter, Gildon, Harrison, Woodley ... those guys were all fast, but they were also all strong enough to overpower whoever was trying to block them. Davis just gets swept along with the current.