Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers ready to unleash Timmons

Steelers ready to unleash Timmons
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...nleash-timmons
August 26, 2009 12:10 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

LATROBE, Pa. -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons laughs when asked to compare where he was two years ago as a rookie first-round pick to this season, which he is entering as a full-time starter for the first time.

"When I came here, I was really lost," Timmons said candidly. "It was different for me. I felt like I needed to make a big impact and I put a lot of pressure on myself. Now, I see it's not like that anymore. If you do your job there are more than enough plays to go around for everybody."

Timmons, who replaces veteran inside linebacker Larry Foote, is one of only two new starters for the defending Super Bowl champions in 2009. But he's also the biggest reason Pittsburgh feels optimistic that its defense has the potential to be more dynamic than the unit that finished No. 1 in the NFL last season. That makes Timmons our choice as the AFC North's Emerging Star for 2009.

Timmons' natural athleticism provides new freedoms for coverage and blitz packages that head coach Mike Tomlin and longtime defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau didn't have before. Timmons joins fellow 2007 draft pick LaMarr Woodley and Pro Bowlers James Harrison and James Farrior to form what many believe is the league's best linebacker corps this season.

"Lawrence fits right in with this group," Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said. "He's playing with some really good guys, and when you're playing with good guys you have a standard to uphold. We know we're going to be a good defense, and we just want him to do his part, and I know he will."

For nearly two seasons Timmons was that shiny new toy that remained on the sidelines. He played mostly special teams as a rookie. But things began to finally click for Timmons in his second year.

The coaching staff began finding ways to get Timmons on the field by replacing Foote in favor of Timmons in nickel situations and obvious passing downs. Timmons started two games and put up solid numbers mostly as a reserve, recording 65 tackles, five sacks and an interception. His pick was an 89-yard return that helped the Steelers seal a big win against the New England Patriots in Week 13.

Last week in a preseason game against the Washington Redskins, Timmons added another interception and five tackles before the starters were pulled. The Steelers are using him to cover a lot of ground in pass coverage in addition to blitzing him from all different angles.

Timmons' versatility is a major plus. He played multiple positions in college at Florida State and was the first sub at all four linebacking positions for Pittsburgh last season.

"I always try to do everything," said Timmons. "I want to be good inside and outside. You will see me this season blitzing from both, because I've always done that. I don't really see a difference between the two. Coaches always taught me if you do everything a team is going to use you. You can't be one-dimensional."

Lawrence Timmons
#94 LB
Pittsburgh Steelers
2008 STATS
TACK SOLO FF INT SACK
65 43 1 1 5.0

Under Tomlin, Pittsburgh has played and will play some Cover 2 defense. It puts a lot of pressure on the linebackers to cover ground in the middle of the field, but Timmons has made it look effortless thus far in minicamps and training camp.

Timmons is extremely fluid in his movements. He's able to shadow tight ends when in man coverage and drop back and turn his hips to easily get to his zone assignments. Timmons also happens to be one of the team's most explosive hitters when flowing to the football.

"I think he's just as good an athlete as Troy Polamalu," Farrior said. "And Troy is probably the best we got."

Farrior, 34, will be lining up next to Timmons, 23, at inside linebacker this year and is serving as his mentor. Farrior said everything that he is teaching Timmons is mental, because "There is nothing physical that I can teach him. He's got all those tools."

Timmons credits teammates like Farrior and his coaches for being patient with him. Pittsburgh's 3-4 scheme is complex and can be overwhelming for a young player, especially when you're trying to find your role and learn both inside and outside linebacker simultaneously.

This year LeBeau is installing a lot for Timmons as a new full-time starter.

"The coaches' confidence in me is so high, and my game is going up to the next level because the coaches are expanding everything with me," Timmons said. "It's just a beautiful thing and it's fun. I feel like I'm in college again."

Timmons may feel like he's in college, but the key is he no longer feels like a rookie. He understands his role in the defense and isn't playing too fast in order to make plays.

With Harrison, Farrior, Woodley, Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Ike Taylor among the names in a star-studded defense, Pittsburgh had the rare luxury of waiting for Timmons to come into his own as an NFL player.

Now, in his third season, the Steelers are finally ready to unleash Timmons on the rest of the league.

"Two years ago he was just a young rookie with a lot of athletic ability. Typical of any other rookie we bring in, he didn't really know a whole lot about our defense," Farrior said. "He had to come in and go through all the learning pains. I think he's done a good job of that and now he's ready to go."

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 08-26-2009 at 04:18 PM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers ready to unleash Timmons

I am so excited to see what Timmons can bring in this Lebeau defense. They can do things with him they never could with Foote. Foote was reliable which was good. But I think Timmons can be EXPLOSIVE. I will take that over reliable any day of the week. He may make a few mistakes on the running game but I think he will make up for it in blitz packages. He will allow Troy to roam back there and pick people off because there won't be those open TEs across the middle. Plus he can blitz which makes three blitzers that other teams have to account for. I just can't wait to see how Lebeau uses him. We needed to change things up a bit because other teams will study film and tendencies from last year. Timmons has the tools to be a monster out there.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

"Now, in his third season, the Steelers are finally ready to unleash Timmons on the rest of the league."

Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

but... Timmons is a bust?!

I am so confused.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I am so confused.
hes still on the team?

i thought arians cut him..
Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

I think without a doubt they're better with Timmons starting. I'm just curious to see how he handles runs up the middle on a regular basis. He's got the perimeter game down cold.
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:

I am so confused.
No, it's a secret plan to hide his talent from the league so as to enable us to actually be able to sign him to an affordable long-term deal later. We're doing the same thing with Redman, no longer playing him and just pretending he's our 7th string RB so we don't have to pay him.

Contributing to the team is NOT a factor...saving money down the road is.

Gosh, don't you READ these boards, preach?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers ready to unleash Timmons
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...nleash-timmons
August 26, 2009 12:10 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

LATROBE, Pa. -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons laughs when asked to compare where he was two years ago as a rookie first-round pick to this season, which he is entering as a full-time starter for the first time.

"When I came here, I was really lost," Timmons said candidly. "It was different for me. I felt like I needed to make a big impact and I put a lot of pressure on myself. Now, I see it's not like that anymore. If you do your job there are more than enough plays to go around for everybody."

Timmons, who replaces veteran inside linebacker Larry Foote, is one of only two new starters for the defending Super Bowl champions in 2009. But he's also the biggest reason Pittsburgh feels optimistic that its defense has the potential to be more dynamic than the unit that finished No. 1 in the NFL last season. That makes Timmons our choice as the AFC North's Emerging Star for 2009.

Timmons' natural athleticism provides new freedoms for coverage and blitz packages that head coach Mike Tomlin and longtime defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau didn't have before. Timmons joins fellow 2007 draft pick LaMarr Woodley and Pro Bowlers James Harrison and James Farrior to form what many believe is the league's best linebacker corps this season.

"Lawrence fits right in with this group," Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said. "He's playing with some really good guys, and when you're playing with good guys you have a standard to uphold. We know we're going to be a good defense, and we just want him to do his part, and I know he will."

For nearly two seasons Timmons was that shiny new toy that remained on the sidelines. He played mostly special teams as a rookie. But things began to finally click for Timmons in his second year.

The coaching staff began finding ways to get Timmons on the field by replacing Foote in favor of Timmons in nickel situations and obvious passing downs. Timmons started two games and put up solid numbers mostly as a reserve, recording 65 tackles, five sacks and an interception. His pick was an 89-yard return that helped the Steelers seal a big win against the New England Patriots in Week 13.

Last week in a preseason game against the Washington Redskins, Timmons added another interception and five tackles before the starters were pulled. The Steelers are using him to cover a lot of ground in pass coverage in addition to blitzing him from all different angles.

Timmons' versatility is a major plus. He played multiple positions in college at Florida State and was the first sub at all four linebacking positions for Pittsburgh last season.

"I always try to do everything," said Timmons. "I want to be good inside and outside. You will see me this season blitzing from both, because I've always done that. I don't really see a difference between the two. Coaches always taught me if you do everything a team is going to use you. You can't be one-dimensional."

Lawrence Timmons
#94 LB
Pittsburgh Steelers
2008 STATS
TACK SOLO FF INT SACK
65 43 1 1 5.0

Under Tomlin, Pittsburgh has played and will play some Cover 2 defense. It puts a lot of pressure on the linebackers to cover ground in the middle of the field, but Timmons has made it look effortless thus far in minicamps and training camp.

Timmons is extremely fluid in his movements. He's able to shadow tight ends when in man coverage and drop back and turn his hips to easily get to his zone assignments. Timmons also happens to be one of the team's most explosive hitters when flowing to the football.

"I think he's just as good an athlete as Troy Polamalu," Farrior said. "And Troy is probably the best we got."

Farrior, 34, will be lining up next to Timmons, 23, at inside linebacker this year and is serving as his mentor. Farrior said everything that he is teaching Timmons is mental, because "There is nothing physical that I can teach him. He's got all those tools."

Timmons credits teammates like Farrior and his coaches for being patient with him. Pittsburgh's 3-4 scheme is complex and can be overwhelming for a young player, especially when you're trying to find your role and learn both inside and outside linebacker simultaneously.

This year LeBeau is installing a lot for Timmons as a new full-time starter.

"The coaches' confidence in me is so high, and my game is going up to the next level because the coaches are expanding everything with me," Timmons said. "It's just a beautiful thing and it's fun. I feel like I'm in college again."

Timmons may feel like he's in college, but the key is he no longer feels like a rookie. He understands his role in the defense and isn't playing too fast in order to make plays.

With Harrison, Farrior, Woodley, Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Ike Taylor among the names in a star-studded defense, Pittsburgh had the rare luxury of waiting for Timmons to come into his own as an NFL player.

Now, in his third season, the Steelers are finally ready to unleash Timmons on the rest of the league.

"Two years ago he was just a young rookie with a lot of athletic ability. Typical of any other rookie we bring in, he didn't really know a whole lot about our defense," Farrior said. "He had to come in and go through all the learning pains. I think he's done a good job of that and now he's ready to go."
nice post........thanks
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,190 Times in 3,490 Posts
Default Re: Steelers ready to release Timmons

Quote:

I am so confused.
there was a misprint in the title. i fixed it though.

having timmons on the field all plays, opens it up for alot more cb and safety blitzes.

just imagine a rookie with keenan lewis' size or joe burnetts speed coming off the edge.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
No, it's a secret plan to hide his talent from the league so as to enable us to actually be able to sign him to an affordable long-term deal later. We're doing the same thing with Redman, no longer playing him and just pretending he's our 7th string RB so we don't have to pay him.

Contributing to the team is NOT a factor...saving money down the road is.

Gosh, don't you READ these boards, preach?
so its the ole bettis theory huh ???

Quote:
In the book, Bettis said Stewart had become too rich for them as he entered the last year of his contract in 2002 and they wanted him out.

"Anybody who tells you money isn't a factor in personnel decisions doesn't know the NFL," Bettis wrote. "I can't prove it, but in my heart I really believe that Kordell was set up for failure that season."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote