Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Harrison pushing Starks to be better

Steelers' Harrison pushing Starks to be better
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_640245.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 27, 2009

Left tackle Max Starks didn't apologize to Ben Roethlisberger for injuring the Steelers quarterback's right foot after stepping on the back of it.

"No need," Roethlisberger said Wednesday.

Indeed, that wasn't just anybody that pushed Starks back into Roethlisberger near the end of the Steelers' final practice of training camp last Thursday. James Harrison, who bull-rushed Starks during an 11-on-11 drills, is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

If what happened to Roethlisberger, who has a bruised Achilles heel but will play Saturday against the Buffalo Bills, is the downside to Starks getting a steady dose of Harrison, there's also an upside.

Going mano a mano with Harrison on a regular basis is perhaps the best preparation Starks could get for his all-important job of protecting Roethlisberger's blind side.

"It makes me more acute because practicing against him, you have to always be on your toes," said Starks, who started the final 14 games at left tackle last season and signed a four-year contract during the offseason. "You get to game day, and you've been on your toes three days straight going against James. And now, bam, you get into a game, and it's like there's nothing this guy can throw at me that James hasn't already done to me repeatedly in practice."

Or in games to opposing left tackles.

Harrison set a Steelers single-season record with 16 sacks last season.

"Any time you go against the Defensive Player of the Year and the things he brings to the table, he will make anybody better, whether it's a back, tight end or tackle," Roethlisberger said. "I know if you ask Max, he will tell you every day he has to go against James, it's a challenge."

Yeah, just a little bit.

What makes Harrison even more difficult for Starks to handle -- and most left tackles, for that matter -- is that he's 6-foot tall. Starks is 6-8, making it difficult to offset the natural advantage Harrison has in getting leverage, as Harrison did when he drove the 345-pound tackle back into Roethlisberger.

"Having to go against a guy that's shorter, obviously, that makes me focus more on my technique and what I have to do in order to ward off a defender," Starks said. "He has all the components you look for in a great pass rusher, so he's going to give you a multitude of different moves."

Fortunately for Starks, he's used to adjusting.

He played right tackle during the first half of his career with the Steelers and started there in 2005-06.

The sixth-year veteran lost his starting job to Willie Colon in 2007 but proved to be an invaluable reserve. That was particularly true when back problems sidelined starting left tackle Marvel Smith at the end of the 2007 season and for most of last year.

That Starks never put himself before the team after losing his starting job -- and the work he did while starting the last 14 games of the 2008 season at left tackle -- convinced the Steelers that they should include the former Florida standout in their long-term plans.

Starks got an early wedding present in June when he and the Steelers agreed on a four-year, $26.3 million contract that includes $10 million in guaranteed money. Starks, 27, signed the contract just a couple of days before he got married.

The deal allows him to stay with the team that took him in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft, though sometimes, that may not seem like such a bargain. Not with Harrison lining up opposite him in practice.

Starks, however, always has been a glass-half-full sort of guy, so he looks at practice as a way of improving his game.

"Max is getting better than he has been in previous years," Harrison said. "Different guys present different challenges."

None more so than Harrison, as Starks can attest.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

(Let's hope Ben survives while Starks is learning. - mesa)

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 08-26-2009 at 11:20 PM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Steelers' Harrison pushing Starks to be better

Good. Kick his ass until he decides to start blocking on every play. That's the way to do it.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
And now, bam, you get into a game, and it's like there's nothing this guy can throw at me that James hasn't already done to me repeatedly in practice
then why doesn't it show in games? or maybe starks means, "hey, this guy manhandles me like harrison does all week".
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

I would think a guy in his 6th season who made the average salary of the top 5 O linemen in the NFL last season...............would be able to push himself to be better.

Instead he got worked by Calais Campbell and Philip Daniels the past couple weeks.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

"Going mano a mano with Harrison on a regular basis is perhaps the best preparation Starks could get for his all-important job of protecting Roethlisberger's blind side."

I hope this helps him even more.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Either that, or it's going to erode Harrison's skills because it's so easy to get past Starks...
Old 08-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Memo to James Harrison: Push Harder (just away from Ben).
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Either that, or it's going to erode Harrison's skills because it's so easy to get past Starks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I would think a guy in his 6th season who made the average salary of the top 5 O linemen in the NFL last season...............would be able to push himself to be better.

Instead he got worked by Calais Campbell and Philip Daniels the past couple weeks.

Exactly!!
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Innocent

Someone needs to push Starks to be better...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,422 Posts

a freakin D 9 dozer couldn't push starks to be better... the fatass got his money , don't expect as much from him from here on out....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote