Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin says Steelers to play September football against Bills

Tomlin says Steelers to play September football against Bills
August 27, 5:52 PMPittsburgh Sports ExaminerMatt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...-against-Bills

PITTSBURGH - When it comes to playing Buffalo on Saturday, look for September football from the Steelers.

The reason?

Not only does the team have a game plan set for Saturday,but they focused on situational football, much like a Friday practice during the season, and fine tuned it for Saturday's game during Thursday afternoon's practice.

"Just some of the minute details that ultimately comprise the highlight reels on Sunday night," Tomlin said. " Like I told the team, quite honestly, its the difference between being good and great or winning and losing."

As for how much action the starters will get, Saturday nights game against the Bills will be the most action they see until the opener in September.

"We are going to get a the very least a half of play,we'll analyze it at half and decide where we are going to go from there," Tomlin said. "But we are not worried about a snap count or anything More than anything we want to see 30 minutes of Steeler football and determine the rest at half."

A big question heading into game is who will be the return men. Stefan Logan, the former CFL standout lit up the field when he got his shot against the Redskins. No. 41, as Tomlin referred to him, averaged 39.3 yards on four kickoff returns and 12 yards on four punt returns.

Tomlin said he will get his shot again, but the opening kickoff honors belong to rookie Mike Wallace, who downed his only shot in the pre-season opener.

"Stefan has gotten our attention, and he deserves to be seen again, But also looking at this football game we the first half it will be Mike Wallace, this is a guy who has a resume from Old Miss, he returned three back, Mewelde Moore may return a punt or too, but other than that you'll see No. 41 Stefen Logan."

Willie Parker continues to have problems with his hamstring and Tomlin hasn't ruled him out of Saturday's game, but even if Parker were of full health, Rashard Mendenhall would get his fair share of reps with the starters.

"We'd like to get an extended look at Rashard whether Willie plays or not," Tomlin said. " We would like him to be a feature runner type of guy. We want him to run similarly to the way he ran in DC. He was decisive, he ran violently if you will. This guy has had a good camp and pre-season we just ask of him to do more of the same."

As for the injuries, Tomlin has ruled out just three players, Dennis Dixon, Sean McHugh and Darnell Stapelton.

"McHugh will be down for four weeks or so, and of course Dannell Stapelton is marching back but he's not ready to participate at this point," Tomlin said. "Some other guys who I would characterize as questionable, but we like to leave the door open with some of these men since it is the pre-season - Steve McClendnon he has a sore elbow, Jeff Reed, Santonio Holmes still has a sore back, Willie Parker's hamsting is still sore, and Frank Summers is probally most questionable of all."

According to Tomlin, Reed stepped in a hole there a couple of weeks ago, and the team is still looking at it. "We'll see what he looks like at game time, but in no way are we concerned about giving Piotr Czech to kick for us if need be."

Summers, who came into to camp with high hopes has played well but missed a lot of time with his injury. Tomlin said even if he were healthy, he would be hesitant to put him in the game.

"Frank being where he is in terms of his career, even if he got to the point where he is healthy enough, you'd be hesitant to send him out there for a limited number of snaps," Tomlin said. "You would be setting him up for failure."

Also look to see a lot of action rom Mewelde Moore, who will one again be the third down back and also return some punts.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Tomlin says Steelers to play September football against Bills

I look forward to seeing if Logan can put on another show like he did against Wash...

I want to see if we can run the ball against Buff...
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Starks has had 2 bad games, I would like to see him show some improvement...
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,590 Posts

Quote:
"Frank being where he is in terms of his career, even if he got to the point where he is healthy enough, you'd be hesitant to send him out there for a limited number of snaps," Tomlin said. "You would be setting him up for failure."
WTF ??? ... is he saying summers just isn't nfl ready ? i thought the whole point of preseason was to determine who is nfl calibre and who isn't

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
WTF ??? ... is he saying summers just isn't nfl ready ? i thought the whole point of preseason was to determine who is nfl calibre and who isn't
Summers, who came into to camp with high hopes has played well but missed a lot of time with his injury. Tomlin said even if he were healthy, he would be hesitant to put him in the game.

i think he is saying, he hasnt practiced for a few weeks, he would be out of sync just playing a couple plays with no practice all week... and may not look good being a rookie with zero practice ime tfor two weeks. so why ruin his confidence..

maybe he actually likes him...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

Sounds like ole Mike has some high expectations of Frank .
How can ya get into his head , and the way he portrays his superbowl winning team to perform ?
As far as Logan goes ,i was at the game last Saturday sitting in section141 row 25 seat 1 gate H , lower level . He shut up the crowd big time on more than one occassion ,except for all of the othe Steeler fans i was surrounded by .
Tomlin took on a mighty task when he agreed to coach the best team in Pro-football .
I am sure he knows what he expects to see from his players . I for one , will not question his take on our team. He's just thinking to himself thats all.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I really hope he likes Summers. Davis must GO FAR AWAY. Maybe go play for the Clowns or Bungles. He is their type of player.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

No surprises here...3rd preseason game is always the most important for the starters...