Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Coach Tomlin Calling

Lawrence Timmons Blog
August 27, 2009
http://affiliate.kickapps.com/_Coach...widgetId=18061

Coach Tomlin Calling

I just got off the phone with Coach Tomlin. He calls all the time, he’s a real regular guy, very laid back. When he calls we don’t talk about football, he pretty much just wants to know what’s going on in my life and how he can help. He’s a guy who’s always willing to help out no matter what.

You gotta love playing for a guy like that. He’s just a good guy. Some coaches can be real mean, but Coach Tomlin tries to be a player’s coach and tries to relate more.

You have to respect and want to play hard for a guy like that.

It’s different when you’re on the field, though. One thing about Coach, he doesn’t get business and friendship confused. Just like when you go up against one of your friends in practice, on the field you have a job to do. Coach Tomlin won’t take it easy on you. It’s all about business, but for him it’s about being a player’s coach at the same time.

I thought training camp went very well. It was shorter than last year but overall I think we did good together as a team. I learned to get better in every facet, I went at it pretty hard and tried to take full advantage of my opportunity.

We didn’t do much rookie hazing but the Rookie Show was the best. A rookie named Andy Schantz did an impersonation of Chris Farley from Saturday Night Live, doing the “Van down by the river” thing. That kid did it almost as good as Farley, I couldn’t believe it. The rookies did a great job. The team also brought comedians in and that was amazing, too.

In the preseason we’re just trying to take it game by game, slowly get ready for the season. Even into the regular season you’re still growing together as a team, getting chemistry together, stuff like that.

Even though we have a lot of veterans, this team still has to vibe together more and get in the groove with things. We’re trying to do that now, we’re searching for it and we’re going to get it.

I also just want to thank all the fans who are reading my blog and those who came out to see us. You’ve been great to me, I’m loving everything and just giving it my all on the field.

Lawrence Timmons is a linebacker with the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. His blog for www.playerpress.com runs at www.timmons94.com. Follow him on Twitter @lawrencetimmons.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Coach Tomlin Calling

I really enjoyed that read! Coach T is most definitely a players coach and his guys love him even more then we do!

Gotta love Tims 'tude!

Quote:
Even though we have a lot of veterans, this team still has to vibe together more and get in the groove with things. We’re trying to do that now, we’re searching for it and we’re going to get it.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Boomerang
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7503

He has the respect of the players and that makes our team all the more determined to do well

"Don't doubt me, because that's when I get stronger.. ..Marvin Hagler
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Tomlin seems to be a complete differant coach and person from what we had here before.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
He has the respect of the players and that makes our team all the more determined to do well
I agree. The team will play their hearts out because they don't want to let Coach T down.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Coach Tomlin treats his players like he wants to be treated, with respect and dignity. And with that comes hardwork, that makes you want to go out and do the best you can.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

It seems that Tomlin is actually a split between Noll and Cowher.

I'll say one thing. I sincerely hope that we keep this guy for the next 20 years.

3 coaches over half a century... yeah, I really like the sound of that.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Reading these comments about Coach Tomlin, I was reminded of the sturm und drang surrounding his hiring, and of how many people had extremely strong opinins about it. I thought it would be interesting to go back and read some posts from that time. Enjoy...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14375
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
Reading these comments about Coach Tomlin, I was reminded of the sturm und drang surrounding his hiring, and of how many people had extremely strong opinins about it. I thought it would be interesting to go back and read some posts from that time. Enjoy...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14375
Good find. People calling for Tomlin's firing before he ever coached a down. Nothing if not predictable.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Good find. People calling for Tomlin's firing before he ever coached a down. Nothing if not predictable.
I remember watching video of his first press conference in Pittsburgh, and yelling at my computer screen "PLEASE HIRE THIS GUY - HE'S AMAZING!!!!!" I knew instantly that he was going to be exactly what he turned out to be - he was so obviously extremely bright, motivated, and utterly driven. I didn't expect it would be so soon, but it was immediately obvious to me that he was destined for greatness.

And I'm not just saying that in hindsight; there are many of my posts from that time which will back it up, LOL.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote