Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers: Logan is wild card in roster battle

Steelers: Logan is wild card in roster battle
F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...teelers-column

By the time the third preseason game rolls around for most NFL teams, many of the major personnel decisions have already been made.

Barring injuries, the jockeying that is going on at this point is for those final four or five roster spots.

But much of who fills those spots for the Steelers will depend on a player who is easily the smallest guy on the team.

Kick returner Stefan Logan, all 5-7, 185 pounds of him, burst onto the radar as a possibility to make the Steelers' roster by averaging 12 yards on four punt returns and nearly 40 yards on four kickoff returns last week against the Washington Redskins.

"I think Stefan has gotten our attention. He deserves an opportunity to be seen again," said head coach Mike Tomlin.

The problem - albeit a good one - for the Steelers will arise if Logan again impresses tonight against the Buffalo Bills.

Logan is listed as a running back, but has worked little with the players at that position since mini-camp, when he began playing wide receiver. As a wideout, even Logan admits he's very raw.

The former Canadian Football League standout also is 28 years old.

Because of his lack of a true position, for Logan to make this team it must be strictly as a return man.

The trouble is, the Steelers' 2009 draft and rookie free-agent classes have been impressive enough that the team is considering keeping as many as eight or nine on the final roster rather than try to sneak a few onto the practice squad.

To be placed onto the practice squad, a player must first clear waivers. Then, even after he's been added to the practice squad, he can be signed by another team at any time.

That has happened to the Steelers several times, most notably with center Hank Fraley. Before the Steelers could add him to their practice squad, Fraley was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles and has been a solid starter for nearly a decade.

On a veteran team coming off two Super Bowl victories in four seasons, finding eight or nine spots for rookies was going to be difficult enough. Finding a spot for a 28-year-old who might only have one or two good seasons in him is an added headache.

But with a number of starters and key backups set to become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season, the Steelers have to keep an eye on the future. That's why they're considering keeping so many rookies.

However, this is a team built to win this season. And if Logan can help them do that by being the kick returner the Steelers have been missing since Antwaan Randle El left following the 2005 season, then they have to find a spot for him.

If that means releasing a veteran such as defensive end Travis Kirschke or keeping one less offensive lineman, then so be it.

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 08-29-2009 at 09:37 AM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Default Re: Steelers: Logan is wild card in roster battle

It's a difficult choice. Should we keep Logan to win now or build for the future. No matter what happens next year our depth is going to be hurt. We will be competive but I don't see us as being as good due to lack of depth.

Stashing Logan on the practice squad would be pointless given his age even assuming that another team would not pick him up.

If I had to make a prediction I would say that we will build for the future.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

couldn't you just post this article in one of the other 5 threads about Logan?

Logan can make the team tonight
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,773 Times in 885 Posts

I doubt that I will see the defending SB champions "build for the future". The future is now and they are working with the goal to compete.

Stefan Logan appears to be the best returner the Steelers have on the roster and maybe could be one of the better returners in the league. I'm pretty confident that he makes it and if the Steelers need to find a spot for him, they do so by cutting a mediocre LB (Davis, Bailey, Arnold Harrison, Woods) and putting them on the PS.

What is more important? 50+ more return yards a game or a reserve LB that may be part of "the future"?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
couldn't you just post this article in one of the other 5 threads about Logan?

Logan can make the team tonight
This thread is about why or why not Logan will make the team not about how well he is doing. It also contains new information on him. If the admins want to move the the thread fine. However you are not a supporter so your complaints mean nothing to me.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

I'm still rooting for him. Bring the wood against Buffalo
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
It's a difficult choice. Should we keep Logan to win now or build for the future. No matter what happens next year our depth is going to be hurt. We will be competive but I don't see us as being as good due to lack of depth.

Stashing Logan on the practice squad would be pointless given his age even assuming that another team would not pick him up.

If I had to make a prediction I would say that we will build for the future.

i know i didnt pay any money so my opinion is not worth much, but we should keep the best available player on the roster to help the team correct?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
I'm still rooting for him. Bring the wood against Buffalo
I understand rooting for him but I suspect it will come down to between him and Wallace. If Wallace can return almost as well as Logan I doubt we will keep Logan. If Logan is greatly superior then we may keep him.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
This thread is about why or why not Logan will make the team not about how well he is doing. It also contains new information on him. If the admins want to move the the thread fine. However you are not a supporter so your complaints mean nothing to me.
Thank you Mesa for posting this article where we all can find it.

Lolley is a good beat writer. Very informative.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I doubt that I will see the defending SB champions "build for the future". The future is now and they are working with the goal to compete.

Stefan Logan appears to be the best returner the Steelers have on the roster and maybe could be one of the better returners in the league. I'm pretty confident that he makes it and if the Steelers need to find a spot for him, they do so by cutting a mediocre LB (Davis, Bailey, Arnold Harrison, Woods) and putting them on the PS.

What is more important? 50+ more return yards a game or a reserve LB that may be part of "the future"?
Right on the mark El!
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote