Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,212 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Fox Sports Predictions

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1...tions-for-2009

1. The Pittsburgh Steelers defense will be even better in '09 than they were in '08.

Just how dominant was the Steelers' D last year? Consider this: In 2008, league-wide scoring was at its all-time highest since 1965, and yet Pittsburgh gave up only 13.9 points per game. In '08, the Steelers faced the toughest schedule of the league's 32 teams and went up against five of the NFL's top 11 offenses. Not an issue. The Steelers allowed the fewest points, total yards and passing yards in football and finished second in rushing yards allowed. No team has led the league in all four categories since the NFL merger in 1970.

The 2009 Steelers might very well accomplish the feat.

Though they don't face a "cream puff" schedule by any means, this year Pittsburgh has a far easier slate than they did last season. Sure, they go against Baltimore twice and match up with Tennessee and San Diego. But they also face the likes of Cincinnati (twice), Cleveland (twice), Detroit, Denver, Kansas City and Oakland. Those are seven wins before even leaving the locker room.

More importantly, the Steelers have the majority of the '08 defense — including coordinator Dick LeBeau — returning in '09. Cornerback Bryant McFadden and linebacker Larry Foote are elsewhere, but both will be replaced with very formidable fill-ins. The Steelers' linebacker depth, long the team's strength, is downright scary this year. In preseason action, Pittsburgh has seen major contributions from third-year man Lawrence Timmons and second-year guy Bruce Davis. Expect both to make the "leap" in '09 like teammate LaMarr Woodley did in '08.

Sure, the Patriots are the Vegas favorites. And yes, everyone is falling all over themselves to line up for the '09 Chargers bandwagon. But let's not sleep on the defending champs. The '09 Steelers defense may be the best unit the league has seen since another starting 11 roamed the Steel City in 1976.

Lead the league in fewest points allowed, fewest total yards allowed, fewest passing yards allowed and fewest rushing yards allowed? Sure, why not? Maybe throw in most sacks and interceptions, too.

Yep, I'm that high on the 2009 Steelers defense.

Nice to read. Hope he's right.

10. Come February, Ben Roethlisberger will be hoisting his third Lombardi Trophy in five years.

Not bold enough for you? Check out who the Steelers will be playing in the Super Bowl and the rest of my playoff picks and 2009 awards:

Nicer to read.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Jackal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9460
Default Re: Fox Sports Predictions

Quote:
10. Come February, Ben Roethlisberger will be hoisting his third Lombardi Trophy in five years.

Not bold enough for you? Check out who the Steelers will be playing in the Super Bowl and the rest of my playoff picks and 2009 awards:

Nicer to read.

Baltimorons. What a bunch of douchenozzles.
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
In preseason action, Pittsburgh has seen major contributions from third-year man Lawrence Timmons and second-year guy Bruce Davis.
Not to be a smartass, but what "major contribution" has Davis made, exactly? Am I missing something here?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
feuerstarta
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14342

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Not to be a smartass, but what "major contribution" has Davis made, exactly? Am I missing something here?
He will free up a roster space for Logan, our return guy.
feuerstarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Can't say I agree with too many of his other predictions, but I'll take it.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

I have to say i like our chances now more than ever.....GAME ON!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote