Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Ok. I just don't get the Davis hate--inform me.

Every game I have broken down, Davis has looked good. One of the better blockers on the team. He has sealed off blockers to form lanes. He has kicked blockers out.

Can this REALLY be just because he didn't catch the ball and maul through a couple tackles to get a first down int he playoffs two years ago? I am starting to think so.

Because I just don't see any reason why this guy should be cut. He is doing very well.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: Ok. I just don't get the Davis hate--inform me.

I don't have a problem with Davis either. So he's not John L. Williams...I can live with that. I think he's a good fullback.

The problem with the running game isn't Davis...but he seems to get bunched in with the problems we have had with the O-line.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

OK, so I don't watch every single block he throws, but he does not seem like the kind of impact blocker that Kreider was, not even close. We were more effective running the ball with McHugh in the game last year, that's for sure.

Also, it's frustrating that he brings NO production whatsoever when you get the ball to him. No rushing ability to speak of, not good in short yardage, and when he catches the ball it's for 2 yards and he goes down immediately when the smallest defender on the team gets a pinky on him. Yeah, I get that your fullback is not going to be your leading rusher or anything, but that position shouldn't be a complete throwaway. That's why people are excited about Summers.

So basically, he does only one thing, and he does it OK at best. Lots of room for improvement.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
OK, so I don't watch every single block he throws, but he does not seem like the kind of impact blocker that Kreider was, not even close. We were more effective running the ball with McHugh in the game last year, that's for sure.

Also, it's frustrating that he brings NO production whatsoever when you get the ball to him. No rushing ability to speak of, not good in short yardage, and when he catches the ball it's for 2 yards and he goes down immediately when the smallest defender on the team gets a pinky on him. Yeah, I get that your fullback is not going to be your leading rusher or anything, but that position shouldn't be a complete throwaway. That's why people are excited about Summers.

So basically, he does only one thing, and he does it OK at best. Lots of room for improvement.
Agreed. For me it's not just one time in the playoffs 2 years ago. It's every time it's 3rd and 2 or 3 and Ben dumps it to him and he gets brought down half a yard from the 1st down. I can't honestly recall him ever making a 1st in those situations. He may be a decent blocker, but that generally goes unnoticed. I doubt there are too many people breaking down game tape. So to the masses, Davis is just a waste of space.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Every game I have broken down, Davis has looked good. One of the better blockers on the team. He has sealed off blockers to form lanes. He has kicked blockers out.
I question your judgement

he is not a good lead blocker. McHugh was much better last year
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Can this REALLY be just because he didn't catch the ball and maul through a couple tackles to get a first down int he playoffs two years ago? I am starting to think so.

Because I just don't see any reason why this guy should be cut. He is doing very well.
Fair question Preacher.

I will try to be just as fair in my reply....For years we ran the same black and blue, three yards and a cloud of dust offense. That offense was predicated on a smash-mouth run game. When many of us think of Steelers Football we think of Tim Lester and Dan Kreider opening holes for the likes of Jerome Bettis.

Though many of us are not outwardly antagonistic towards Coach Arians new Steelers offensive style and in fact appreciate the wins that the coaching staff has brought to our team ...I think that Davis, as a smaller FB, epitomizes what we miss in the Lester/Kreider days. We would LOVE to see the passing game remain a factor but miss the smashmouth running style of the past.

So much of it is probably a romaticized notion that we may draft some big FB or RB that will take us back to those days...(probably why we love to see a John Kuhn or a Frank Summers get a shot with the team)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
I question your judgement

Based on what?

Preacher presented his arguement very well...what are your facts?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Men of Steel
Starter

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

davis sucks. he isnt clutch when we need him to be... which is hardly ever! but when called upon... yes.. .he sucks.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

I dont think he sucks necessarily but he hasnt been a big asset either.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Davis blows.

He is the lowest common denominator.

If there is a weak link on this football team who is upgradable in terms of talent and raw athletic ability, it is Davis.

Davis is undersized for an NFL Fullback.

Davis is relatively slow by NFL standards.

Davis can catch the football, but has absolutely zero ability to elude a tackler or break a play once he has the football.

If Frank Summers is given a chance to learn the role Davis currently plays, he'd do it better through and through. He just needs the time and the reps.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote