Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Who was it that damn near cost us that Super Bowl with a holding call that cost us 2 points and possession?

Huge upgrade my ass. Hartwig is a stopgap.

And while I agree that Mahan did blow, I also don't think he was the whole problem with the OL.


It's very refreshing to know that someone other than me and a few others around here was really paying attention instead of joining in on the scapegoating that went on with Mahan. Mahan was not - I repeat WAS NOT - a natural center. He was a guard and not everyone can play both positions. Yes - Hartwig is a teenie weenie upgrade over Mahan, but only by one pubic hair on a monkey.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,322
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,940
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,548 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

if a pubic hair on a donkey is the difference of winning a superbowl and a 1st round playoff exit, i would like to order a whole bushel full of monkey pubes.

mahan played with veterans such as smith and simmons.

as it turns out, all three sucked and are better off replaced.

(not a slam on simmons or smith- the rooney way is to remain loyal to those who remain loyal to them- both got a second ring)
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,485
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 180
Thanked 966 Times in 367 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if a pubic hair on a donkey is the difference of winning a superbowl and a 1st round playoff exit, i would like to order a whole bushel full of monkey pubes.
I think going into the playoffs almost completely healthy with a bye week to boot ('08) as opposed to being a traveling M.A.S.H. unit ('07) had something to do with it too.....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,322
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,940
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,548 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I think going into the playoffs almost completely healthy with a bye week to boot ('08) as opposed to being a traveling M.A.S.H. unit ('07) had something to do with it too.....
most definitely.

but being that mahan is currently on the street, doesnt make him any better than he was.

and as my first post on the subject suggests, i havent completely ruled him out in regards to the steelers considering him for a look-see as a dirt cheap back up swing player at G/C (although i seriously doubt it- he is familiar with the system though)
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
He was the worst player on the O-line. Did we win the SB with Mahan? nope. Hartwig was a huge upgrade

Why do you think we signed him to a 5 year deal and then traded him after 1 year for a measily 7th rd pick? use some common sense


And Hartwig was the worst starting center in the NFL for sacks-- giving up 6.5 sacks http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009pit.php

Funny, because Mahan also gave up 6.5 the year before http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/06/10/w...-up-the-sacks/

Watching people slice through Hartwig to get into the backfield on runs... You actually beleive he is HUGE upgrade.. while giving up the same amount of sacks?

Goodness. Now maybe I understand your hatred for Davis. Cause if 6.5 is a vast improvement over 6.5... ANYTHING is possible.

talk about common sense. I always thought 6.5 was EQUAL to 6.5. Who knew??
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,250
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 363
Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,117 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Look at it this way. Darnell Stapleton is a younger version of Sean Mahan. A guy that is somewhat undersized and lacks the strength and power to handle big D-linemen, but is athletic enough to get to LB's and play in a zone block offense.

Bucs fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by bigger DT's in the NFC South, but thought he would be a better Center.

Steeler fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by NT's and would be a better guard. The short of it is that he would probably be better playing center in the NFC where they have fewer 3-4 schemes.

Finally, I hope Stapleton finds a home in the NFC next year too, or he will be the new whipping boy on the Steelers.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Look at it this way. Darnell Stapleton is a younger version of Sean Mahan. A guy that is somewhat undersized and lacks the strength and power to handle big D-linemen, but is athletic enough to get to LB's and play in a zone block offense.

Bucs fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by bigger DT's in the NFC South, but thought he would be a better Center.

Steeler fans complained that Mahan got manhandled by NT's and would be a better guard. The short of it is that he would probably be better playing center in the NFC where they have fewer 3-4 schemes.

Finally, I hope Stapleton finds a home in the NFC next year too, or he will be the new whipping boy on the Steelers.
I hope you don't think any of my previous posts were directed at you (well, except the ones where I quoted you... ). You, I think, are someone in agreement that the coaches were able to deal with Hartwig's suckage more than Mahan's suckage. Not Hartwig was a "vast improvement" over Mahan.

As far as Stapleton is concerned... I actually hope he sticks around. he helped stabililze the right side of line last year just a little bit. It is sad that he was actually an improvement over Kendall Simmons last year. He'd be a good backup to come in on spot duty. But I know that won't happen.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,250
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 363
Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,117 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I hope you don't think any of my previous posts were directed at you (well, except the ones where I quoted you... ). You, I think, are someone in agreement that the coaches were able to deal with Hartwig's suckage more than Mahan's suckage. Not Hartwig was a "vast improvement" over Mahan.

As far as Stapleton is concerned... I actually hope he sticks around. he helped stabililze the right side of line last year just a little bit. It is sad that he was actually an improvement over Kendall Simmons last year. He'd be a good backup to come in on spot duty. But I know that won't happen.
Preach, I commend you for breaking down games this year, but I dont think you did last year. I did break down every game a couple times and Hartwig did not suck. I have no agenda or Hartwig jersey in my closet, I just call it like I saw it.

What I saw was Hartwig doing the job of handling big NT's like Shaun Rogers, Jamaal Williams and Ty Warren among others. I saw him give up sacks between he and Kemo, mostly because Kemo never seemed to recognize blitzes and they were not on the same page. I also saw Darnell Stapleton pass protect well with his quick feet, but get bull rushed badly and get no push in the rushing game.

I called each preseason game last year like I saw it and can still remember the Buffalo preseason game where Leftwich throws a hitch to Nate Washington in the right flat from a 1 step drop. Jon McCargo of the Bills pushes Mahan into Leftwich and he almost doesnt get the pass off. That was the quintessential flaw in Mahan's game......he was too weak at the point of attack.

I think your "Hartwig suckage" theory is still sour grapes for those that wrongly blamed Mahan for the entire debacle in 2006, but if you broke down those preseason games as much as this year you would have seen that Mahan was often overpowered.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #19
KeiselPower99
Living Legend
 
KeiselPower99's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkersburg West Virginia
Posts: 3,583
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Hartwig is able to control the big NT where as Mahan couldnt.
__________________
]
KeiselPower99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,250
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 363
Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,117 Posts
Default Re: Mahan released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Hartwig is able to control the big NT where as Mahan couldnt.
Bingo!!!! We have a winner!!

Good luck to Mahan catching on in maybe Indy, St Louis or some other team that sees a lot of 4-3 defenses.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts