Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
thesteelersreport.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 14312
Default Hampton bothered by not having new deal

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...-new-deal.html

PITTSBURGH ó Casey Hampton doesnít want to leave Pittsburgh. But he holds little hope that heíll still be a Steeler past this season.

The burly nose tackle has come to that conclusion because the Steelers failed to include him in the mix of veterans who have received contract extensions this summer. He figures heíll be forced to test the open market as a free agent.

Hampton is not happy about that.

He has been a standout for the Steelers the last eight seasons. Former coach Bill Cowher used to call Hampton the best nose tackle in the NFL. Heís been to the Pro Bowl four times. Two years ago, he was named to the Steelersí 75th Season All-Time Team. Heís helped Pittsburgh advance to four AFC championship games and won two Super Bowls.

So, itís easy to understand why Hampton feels unappreciated and unwanted.

ďIíd be lying if I said it didnít bother me,Ē Hampton said. ďBut thatís part of the business. Iím not going to worry about it. Iím not going to (hold) a grudge or say I canít understand why they didnít sign me. I understand itís a business.

ďBut being here this long and just playing here for this period of time, Iím not going to lie and say it doesnít bother me because I do want to be here. I would like the security of being here. But it is what it is.Ē

Since winning Super Bowl XLIII, the Steelers have re-signed six starters to contract extensions. The latest to do so was defensive end Brett Keisel, who got a new five-year deal reportedly worth $18.885 million that includes a $5 million signing bonus on Monday.

Other returning starters whoíve re-signed this year are wide receiver Hines Ward, tight end Heath Miller, tackle Max Starks, guard Chris Kemoeatu and linebacker James Harrison.

Because the Steelers historically havenít negotiated contracts once a season starts, Keisel is likely the last player to get an extension.

Advertisement That means running back Willie Parker, tackle Willie Colon, center Justin Hartwig, free safety Ryan Clark, kicker Jeff Reed and Hampton could be unrestricted free agents following the upcoming season. They could re-sign with the Steelers, but they may get more lucrative offers elsewhere.

When asked if he expects this to be his last year in Pittsburgh, Hampton said, ďYep, itís coming down to that. If they let me get to free agency, everyone knows what itís going to be.Ē

If the Steelers donít extend Hamptonís contract between now and the season opener or next year before free agency begins, thereís a chance they could put the ďfranchiseĒ tag on Hampton.

A franchise player gets a one-year deal with a salary thatís the average of the top five salaries at his position. The average of the top five defensive tackles in the league last year was $6.06 million.

This year, Hampton will be paid $3.075 million.

When he signed his existing contract in 2005, Hampton agreed to a five-year deal worth $22.75 million that included a $6.975 million signing bonus.

Hampton, who turns 32 on Thursday, says that despite his disappointment over his contract issues, heís primed to regain his Pro Bowl form of 2003, í05, í06 and í07.

ďThereís no question in my mind,Ē he said. ďI know what Iím capable of doing. I mean, I was nicked up last year, all banged up and played through it. Never said nothing, never complained. And Iím feeling really healthy this year, and I feel like when Iím healthy, it could get ugly (for the centers he plays against).

ďSo, weíll see. I feel real good. Iím feeling all right. Iím just trying to win another Super Bowl, man. Thatís my main thing.Ē

Wednesday September 2, 2009 12:24 AM
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: Hampton bothered by not having new deal

Yea Casey.......You was all nicked up bro......You get healthy this year and go back to the islands in Februrary.....I see you there.......Casey to stay in the burgh you gotta really want to stay in the Burgh, cause it will be alot easier to get a deal for more loot in another town......You won't have to do nothing ...but get to free agency, and that is what will happen......To stay , at your age, you gotta work it out like Hines and Smitty did.......This way is a little harder cause you gotta do some negotiating, but that is what it takes to keep a championship team together..............Going with the flow will get you right out a town, like floating down the river.....The river will take ya but the towns gonna stay, and you can watch it go as you cruise down stream........Some times you gotta row that boat brother.......That will keep you in the burgh......Whatever you want bro..........It's all good........
Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I would franchise Casey. He's too valuable in the middle to let go.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I would franchise Casey. He's too valuable in the middle to let go.
I doubt he'd be down with the franchise tag. Do that and we'll have a mess. If he is truly that valuable then he's worth offering an extension.

Sign the guys still producing or develop and replace. It's the Steeler way.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
I doubt he'd be down with the franchise tag. Do that and we'll have a mess. If he is truly that valuable then he's worth offering an extension.

Sign the guys still producing or develop and replace. It's the Steeler way.
Right now though, we don't have a replacement for him. We got away with it in 2004 with Hoke, but hoke was 29 then, not 34 like he is now.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
steelers05
Water Boy

Member Number: 7839

Hamptons future with Pittsburgh will probably be determined during the upcoming seaon with the play of Ziggy Hood
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
MONTANA GRIZ
Water Boy

Member Number: 7369

Casey is very valuable to our D, but we need to hold up on signing these extensions to guys in their 30's. It's not how the Steelers roll.
MONTANA GRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
thesteelersreport.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 14312

I'll leave it to the experts....

I bitched and moaned when they cut Kirkland and was proven wrong. And there have been other quesionable moves over the past few years (i.e. Faneca). But, we've got 2 rings in 3 years.

Whatever the outcome with the Big Diet, Colbert & Tomlin have my support. That's why they get paid the big bucks.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

let's look at the good news.....since this is a contract year for Hampton, i think we'll see a dominant all-pro year from the Big Snack
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
let's look at the good news.....since this is a contract year for Hampton, i think we'll see a dominant all-pro year from the Big Snack
Yep, that's the way I'm approaching it. I don't think they'll meet his salary demands and I also agree with WW that he won't cop to being franchised and might cause a problem in the locker room if he is.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote