Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Biggest Difference in the Steelers under Tomlin vs Cowher

This is not a Cowher bashing thread. I loved Cowher as a Coach....and I still think he's one of us...but...there are things that Tomlin has brought to the table that I absolutely love with the team. There were many things that Cowher brought to the table that Noll's team did not. But for Tomlin and Cowher, I feel there are some differences...such as:

1. Roster spots are truly open on this team - I think there are fewer givens on this team than before. Sure, there are players that will make the roster no matter what, but there are also plenty of veterans that truly have to earn their positions every single year.

2. Special Teams - I don't ever remember ST being a strength under Cowher. I feel it is now.

3. Confidence - until 2005, I always felt that the team played tight in big games. I don't see that with Tomlin. The Steelers play with an edge...an unwavering confidence now.

I do feel I need to be fair with Cowher though in this respect...Cowher didn't have a QB like Ben for most of his tenure. When Ben came along, the Steelers were 15-1 in 2004 and won the SB in 2005. Who knows what a healthy Ben would have done in 2006. Tomlin has the benefit of having Ben in his prime during his tenure.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Biggest Difference in the Steelers under Tomlin vs Cowher

Cowher also had no problems getting rid of an inefective coach...He fired Kenny Jackson as WR coach after 1 season as i recall
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
steelers05
Water Boy

Member Number: 7839

Cowher and Tomlin are different coaches, bottom line is we Steeler Fans are very fortunate with our Head Coaches
Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

As for playing in big games with swagger and confidence, that's dead on! I hated (dreaded) heading onto a big game when Cowher was here. You just knew something was going to go critically wrong.

As for the special teams being a "strength" under Tomlin, at least on the surface it appears to be the goal, but last year is not exactly a glaring example. The coverage teams are solid, but that's been the extent of it thus far.

I have a very high opinion of Tomlin. I think he's the perfect coach for the Rooney's to have hired in a town with such high demands for excellence.

Cowher was a great motivator of his defenses, but he was a lousy in-game decision maker. I hear people complaining about the play calling under Arians, but under Cowher there were some gawdawful moments where I was just sick to my stomach. Tomlin doesn't give me those same feelings ... not yet anyways.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

i loved cowher too (except in championship games), but he never tried to get a decent quarterback (rumor is cowher wanted an o-lineman instead of ben).

their answer was to draft a project in the second round named kordell stewart and stick with him way too long.

i understand getting a very good QB in the draft is a crapshoot, but they didn't even seem to try.

also, there were more exciting/entertaining wins last year than in all of cowher's 15 years.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

don't get me wrong, i thought cowher was great for the team and the best option for us for 15 years, but tomlin is quickly making me forget the chin.

kind of like james harrison has out portered joey porter.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

In 92 the team was suffering.......Chaz was getting tired and couldn't do the things he used to and sometimes your heart just leads you into a new direction.........Along came Cowher.......He brought new life into the team with his youth....He was the highest stunrg guy in the league and the burgh needed him........He never had a great qb........Great qb's win titles.....He never had the offensive mind either.....He was a linebacker and that is just how it was........The defense got back to its old ways.......Then along came Jerome and really helped things out on that side of the ball......But deep in the playoffs you gotta have the balance that we never had then and we suffered, cause the best d's in the league in those deep playoff games can stuff the run........And that is what we were, just like the early 70 Steelers before Swanny And Stalls........By 05, finally Coach figured out how to let go of the reins a bit and let his O cooridinator and his other coaches lead a little more.,...He figured out the winning methods of the great coaches in the past and was not such a control freak like in the past.......Plus he had a fresh young qb who could pull stuff out of his @$$ that the greats always did so this made things more comfy for ole BIlly Boy......In 06 you could tell he and his family were over it, and the team needed a new direction.........Mikey freshened things up a bit and brought some old school things back to the mix that were lacking....along with alot of new school stuff.......You could see it in the players disposition that first 07 season......Tyrone Carter's is the first that comes to mind to me.....He was all tense all of the time on Bill's teams, now he looks alot more relaxed and I think the whole team is that way......Plus everyone is growing and learning how to play in the pinch without panicing, like we used to when we were behind late in the game.......Remember we all are just people who learn alot even as coaches and owners and players and whoever.......as life goes on........Just keep on learning from everybody and teach when you can and that is how we all become fullfilled with our lives.........I love football.....Its the greatest game ever.........
Old 09-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
In 92 the team was suffering.......Chaz was getting tired and couldn't do the things he used to and sometimes your heart just leads you into a new direction.........Along came Cowher.......He brought new life into the team with his youth....He was the highest stunrg guy in the league and the burgh needed him........He never had a great qb........Great qb's win titles.....He never had the offensive mind either.....He was a linebacker and that is just how it was........The defense got back to its old ways.......Then along came Jerome and really helped things out on that side of the ball......But deep in the playoffs you gotta have the balance that we never had then and we suffered, cause the best d's in the league in those deep playoff games can stuff the run........And that is what we were, just like the early 70 Steelers before Swanny And Stalls........By 05, finally Coach figured out how to let go of the reins a bit and let his O cooridinator and his other coaches lead a little more.,...He figured out the winning methods of the great coaches in the past and was not such a control freak like in the past.......Plus he had a fresh young qb who could pull stuff out of his @$$ that the greats always did so this made things more comfy for ole BIlly Boy......In 06 you could tell he and his family were over it, and the team needed a new direction.........Mikey freshened things up a bit and brought some old school things back to the mix that were lacking....along with alot of new school stuff.......You could see it in the players disposition that first 07 season......Tyrone Carter's is the first that comes to mind to me.....He was all tense all of the time on Bill's teams, now he looks alot more relaxed and I think the whole team is that way......Plus everyone is growing and learning how to play in the pinch without panicing, like we used to when we were behind late in the game.......Remember we all are just people who learn alot even as coaches and owners and players and whoever.......as life goes on........Just keep on learning from everybody and teach when you can and that is how we all become fullfilled with our lives.........I love football.....Its the greatest game ever.........

ever heard of a period? sentence? paragraph?
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Who wants Tyrone Carter to be relaxed?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

What I really love about Tomlin is his approach to answering questions. He has a very straight forward philosophy and clearly has thought through the challenges.

In the Cowher days he didn't think the whole thing through and when he answered or dodged questions it wasn't based on first principles.

I also think Cowher was more of a hot and cold emotional motivator vs Tomlin.

I love that clip of when Cowher almost tackled that guy running down the sideline.