Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Stephania Bell on Timmons and Smith

Stephania Bell on Timmons and Smith
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
September 3, 2009 12:00 PM
Posted by ESPN.comís James Walker

When it comes to explaining sports injuries, no one does it better than physical therapist and ESPNís own Stephania Bell.

Thursday the AFC North blog checked in with Bell to breakdown a pair of recent, key injuries within the division involving Lawrence Timmons of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Andre Smith of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Lawrence Timmons
Injury: High ankle sprain
Date suffered: 8/29

Bellís analysis: Surgery obviously is not needed for Timmons but nonetheless the ankle ligaments need to heal enough to maintain stability in that joint, and he has to be able to move -- run, plant, pivot, cut -- without pain and at full speed. Timmons is ruled out for the last preseason game but appears questionable for Week 1. The first game would only be 12 days post-high ankle sprain which would be a pretty quick return for this type of injury. There are varying degrees of severity of sprains which better allows for prognosis. Without knowing the severity of Timmons' sprain, it makes it difficult to accurately assess. While nothing is impossible and having to assess the player's healing on a daily basis, the fact that he's in a boot now, which is designed to limit mobility and promote healing, makes next Thursday's return appear unlikely. I would more likely project him to Week 2 or even Week 3.

Andre Smith
Injury: Foot fracture
Date suffered: 8/30

Bellís analysis: Without knowing which bone, it's tough to provide any definitive guidelines. I will say that if the bone is healing well, he can return sooner. I believe [Bengals coach Marvin] Lewis said he'd miss a few weeks. But there may be some issues with his conditioning that they want to work on before throwing him back into the football mix. Even if he's in a protective phase now as far as weight-bearing, he can ride the bike, work out in a pool, and other cardio activities. And he can use the time to learn the system, playbook, etc. since he missed so much time in camp. Even if he heals quickly, I would expect that he'll need some additional time to get into 'football' shape both mentally and physically. Again, there is not enough information for me to give a really accurate prognosis. But it would not surprise me if we don't see him for a few weeks.

Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers, preseason, Andre Smith, AFC North, Lawrence Timmons, NFL, Stephania Bell
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503
Default Re: Stephania Bell on Timmons and Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Stephania Bell on Timmons and Smith
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
September 3, 2009 12:00 PM
Posted by ESPN.com’s James Walker

When it comes to explaining sports injuries, no one does it better than physical therapist and ESPN’s own Stephania Bell.

Thursday the AFC North blog checked in with Bell to breakdown a pair of recent, key injuries within the division involving Lawrence Timmons of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Andre Smith of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Lawrence Timmons
Injury: High ankle sprain
Date suffered: 8/29

Bell’s analysis: Surgery obviously is not needed for Timmons but nonetheless the ankle ligaments need to heal enough to maintain stability in that joint, and he has to be able to move -- run, plant, pivot, cut -- without pain and at full speed. Timmons is ruled out for the last preseason game but appears questionable for Week 1. The first game would only be 12 days post-high ankle sprain which would be a pretty quick return for this type of injury. There are varying degrees of severity of sprains which better allows for prognosis. Without knowing the severity of Timmons' sprain, it makes it difficult to accurately assess. While nothing is impossible and having to assess the player's healing on a daily basis, the fact that he's in a boot now, which is designed to limit mobility and promote healing, makes next Thursday's return appear unlikely. I would more likely project him to Week 2 or even Week 3.

Andre Smith
Injury: Foot fracture
Date suffered: 8/30

Bell’s analysis: Without knowing which bone, it's tough to provide any definitive guidelines. I will say that if the bone is healing well, he can return sooner. I believe [Bengals coach Marvin] Lewis said he'd miss a few weeks. But there may be some issues with his conditioning that they want to work on before throwing him back into the football mix. Even if he's in a protective phase now as far as weight-bearing, he can ride the bike, work out in a pool, and other cardio activities. And he can use the time to learn the system, playbook, etc. since he missed so much time in camp. Even if he heals quickly, I would expect that he'll need some additional time to get into 'football' shape both mentally and physically. Again, there is not enough information for me to give a really accurate prognosis. But it would not surprise me if we don't see him for a few weeks.

Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers, preseason, Andre Smith, AFC North, Lawrence Timmons, NFL, Stephania Bell
I listened to Timmons talk about his injury on ESPN Radio with Stan and Guy and he said his sprain wasn't very severe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/e...d=junkersavran
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

no need to rush Timmons back, he sits out game 1 for sure IMO

we have that long 10 day rest before game 2 (nice advantage) so he might be back by then

besides, Fox has been playing like a freakin animal anyways!!!
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,332 Times in 3,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
I listened to Timmons talk about his injury on ESPN Radio with Stan and Guy and he said his sprain wasn't very severe.

which is playerspeak for "i am kendrell bell and my career is obvioulsy done"

- PANIC!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
which is playerspeak for "i am kendrell bell and my career is obvioulsy done"

- PANIC!!!

You must really have a Fox complex.