Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
thesteelersreport.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 14312
Default NO CAP in 2010......

What a disaster....but it is looking more and more like next year will be the Wild West in the NFL.

I perish the thought of an MLB like group of the haves and have nots. The cap is one of the many reasons the NFL is far more enjoyable to watch vs. MLB (although baseball would be painful to watch even with a cap).
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,516 Times in 688 Posts
Default Re: NO CAP in 2010......

Yes. That will take a little of the fun out of it. I think it will basically leave 2 philosophies rampant around the "no cap" idea: 1) team owners with the heaviest pockets trying to "buy " the best team possible (like the Cowboy's Jerry Jones way). And 2) There will be the Steeler Way: get slightly above average players at a fair price and TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN them into champions.... you can almost say the Steeler's Way is "no cap proff " .....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

I don't believe that 2010 will be the Armageddon that some foresee it to be. The CBA has several rules in place that will still keep things in check. For example, players that would have been unrestricted free agents will now be restricted free agents; they have to wait a year longer to become a FA in the uncapped year. That's going to result in less free agents being available than in typical off-seasons. Players like Shawne Merriman, Greg Jennings, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall and others would have been unrestricted free agents, but now are restricted free agents instead.

The owners appear to be committed to a lockout in 2011 if they cannot reach an agreement with the NFLPA prior to then. With that in mind, I don't expect a lot of owners to be spending boatloads of money on new players and signing bonuses a year before they could potentially have zero revenue. This year there were fewer teams than ever that were at or near the salary cap, while many were far below - in fact some were in danger of being below the cap minimum spending level for a while. To me that is a sign many owners are preparing to spend far less in 2010, when there is no salary cap floor. 2010 will be as much about having no salary floor as it will be about having no salary cap. It would not surprise me to see the Bengals slash their payroll by $30 - $40 million, for example.

In regards to Jerry Jones, my guess is that with the debt service he has on the new stadium, he's not going to try to buy a championship. I can see Dan Snyder doing that, though even he may give himself a budget, given the money he spent on Haynesworth, Hall and others.

The most prominent part about the uncapped year in my opinion is the "final eight" and "final four" plan. Essentially the final eight teams in the playoffs will only be able to sign a new free agent after they lose one to another team. This doesn't affect the Steelers very much since the team doesn't usually sign many veteran free agents, but it could affect other teams and their ability to sign the free agents they are looking at. So if anybody does try to 'buy' a championship, they could be no better than the 9th best team in 2009 - meaning they would have to do a lot of buying since the team probably does not have a very solid foundation to build upon if they are ranked that low.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

It is possible that there will be no cap next year but I wouldn't get to excited yet. There is still time for them to negotiate. The unions and the league running around saying there will be no cap at this point is simply a negotiating ploy. The idiot sports media will blow up every rumor as the end of the NFL just to generate controversy.

Last time this was settled at the very last minute so I expect the same thing to happen again. We will continue having dire predictions of disaster from all sides until we get a deal.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughC View Post
I don't believe that 2010 will be the Armageddon that some foresee it to be.
i agree
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

There was an article the other week that I read which stated that the owners are not that worried, for many of the reasons stated by above.

The no cap doesn't affect a player who is still under contract. Plus, with the requirement that years of service to obtain free agency, goes from 4 to 6 years the number of players able to take advantage of the "wild West" drops considerably. Add to that the extra franchise tag and things we be relatively calm I believe.

The depressing part is that because the owners are not worried, I don't think there will be an agreement until at least the beginning of the 2011 season, which puts that season in jeopardy, since these agreements aren't usually reached until the pressure is intense.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

I dont think anyone has mentioned this but I think a big reason that a new CBA was not agreed to is because Dan Rooney is not around.

Dan Rooney is the one that got the last deal done (after the deadline) a couple years ago
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

don't forget that there is no salary floor when the cap is gone. with the salary cap the teams had to spend 84% of the cap.

teams will have 2 franchise tags and 2 transitional tags.

also, the top 8 NFL teams would only be permitted to sign free agents at the rate they lose them each year.

it won't be all roses for the players or the big money teams
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
I dont think anyone has mentioned this but I think a big reason that a new CBA was not agreed to is because Dan Rooney is not around.

Dan Rooney is the one that got the last deal done (after the deadline) a couple years ago
It is an excellent point. Dan had the gravitas to keep the likes of Mike Brown and Jerry Jones in line.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Actually, reading some of the info that would happen if their isn't a salary cap hurts the players. One of the em being players who normally would be unrestricted free agents after year 4, then would go to 6. And since the Steelers are 1 of 3 teams in the NFL that have mastered the draft, that only means that's they have their players for an extra 2 years should they leave.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote