Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default revefsreleets............Bruce Arians

Well it was about time that I break out of my off season hibernation. Last we talked I stated about providing an argument against Bruce Arians. After doing some serious thinking I came to the conclusion that this argument should be put to rest between us 2.

I only say this because you are very much a big supporter of Bruce Arians and I on the other hand can't stand Bruce Arians as an OC. No matter what the Arians haters say that is not going to change your mind or other supporters on how you truly feel about Arians. Of course no matter what the Arians supporters say that will not change how I or others feel about him.

I truly believe that we won the Super Bowl last season despite having a really bad OL and IMO a very bad OC in Arians. No matter what anyone says I feel that our defense and Ben carried us last year. Now the good news is that our OL can only go up. Hopefully Trai Essex at RG will help improve our OL and Hartwig, Kemo, Starks and Colon playing together for another season gets us better too. The other side of the coin is that Arians should be able to improve as well. Whether that happens or not, we will soon find out.

I am not sure if you have ever checked out the website of www.stillers.com. I do check it out during the regular season because it gives a fan's point of view with breaking down each game. Yes I am aware that some of the comments are over the top, but they also point out some good things when breaking down each game and that includes the coaches. Check it out when you have a chance and let me know what you think.

The 2009 regular season is set to begin on Thursday night and we are the defending World Champions. It's time to get the 2009 party started. Now I am aware that the Arians debate will continue in 2009. But no matter what is said on both sides that will not change your or my feelings for Bruce Arians. It is what it is. Here's to an amazing 2009 season and going after ring #7!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503
Default Re: revefsreleets............Bruce Arians

Bogus.

What about the WR's wide open all over the football field?

Tell me the Steelers route runners aren't getting open.

Tell me the Arians offense doesn't create mismatches for defenses across the NFL. (watch what Sweed does to this offense! ... Hines and Santo will be wide open because of Sweed matching up to an elite CB).

Tell me Willie Parker wasn't leading the NFL in rushing in 2007 before going down on the 1st play in Week 16 with a broken leg.

Tell me that in 2007 Ben didn't set a Steelers single season TD record.

Don't tell me the Steelers won in spite of the Bruce Arians offense last year. Bull sh!t!

Because I'll say you aren't really watching the games.

Last year the o-line blew. They were hurt, unseasoned and very pathetic. The offense scored 16 rushing TD's in spite of them! (16 rushing TD's is normal for a Pittsburgh offense but they diod it behind a line that blew.)

Arians is a damn genius! You just don't see it.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

some people will never look at a glass as half full instead of half empty. The fact that a QB excels in a particular offense is partly due to the OC. How much credit to give the OC is up to the individual. To deny Arians any credit is asinine. Third and one, we couldn't convert regularly rushing or throwing. How many times did Carey Davis drop like a cheap hooker on third or fourth and short. A RB needs to get yards after contact, not exactly Arians fault. A good running game makes an OC look like a genius. We didn't have it last year, yet still managed to win.
You stated Ben carried us, that is correct. Why would you want to get rid of Arians when Ben is comfortable in his offense and has a great relationship with the guy. That is half the battle right there. Its not all X's and O's. I was frustrated at times last year with play calling, but you have to take the bad with the good. We had an average FB, below average line, and injured running backs with a third down back starting many games, as far as I am concerned Arians pieced together a pretty good offense with all the obstacles he faced.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
some people will never look at a glass as half full instead of half empty. The fact that a QB excels in a particular offense is partly due to the OC. How much credit to give the OC is up to the individual. To deny Arians any credit is asinine. Third and one, we couldn't convert regularly rushing or throwing. How many times did Carey Davis drop like a cheap hooker on third or fourth and short. A RB needs to get yards after contact, not exactly Arians fault. A good running game makes an OC look like a genius. We didn't have it last year, yet still managed to win.
You stated Ben carried us, that is correct. Why would you want to get rid of Arians when Ben is comfortable in his offense and has a great relationship with the guy. That is half the battle right there. Its not all X's and O's. I was frustrated at times last year with play calling, but you have to take the bad with the good. We had an average FB, below average line, and injured running backs with a third down back starting many games, as far as I am concerned Arians pieced together a pretty good offense with all the obstacles he faced.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
#1 Big Ben Fan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14127

Arians isn't the worst OC out there. He isn't Bill Walsh either but this team has won with him as the OC. Now he does have calls that drives me nuts at times but every OC the Steelers have had in my lifetime has made calls that drive me nuts.

Its beating a deadhorse really. The Steelers are not going to fire Bruce Arians after the team has won two AFC North Titles and a Super Bowl.
#1 Big Ben Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I had a bet with somebody that he'd still be the OC this year...since there are so MANY of these misinformed Arians haters, I can't remember whom exactly it was, and I'm sure they either moved on or have also "forgotten" themselves...

Whatever. I still maintain that there's only one real way to look at this: If you don't like Arians, that's fine, but if you don't ACCEPT Arians, you are REALLY suggesting that the Steelers are stupid and know less about running an offense than you do, because they continue to retain his services. They are the Steelers, it's not like they can't go hire just about anybody else available if they so deigned.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Not an Arians fan by any stretch. BUT, I agree that the players need to execute better on those third and shorts. I wish this team could run screen plays better but they telegraph the heck out of them. That has to be partly the coaching staff's fault and partly the players. I don't think Ben is the best play action QB out there by any stretch. He seems to telegraph what the play is a little too much. That doesn't help much. So Arians, you are the man whether some of us like it or not. Good luck and here's hoping we get back to a top 10 type offense this year.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I had a bet with somebody that he'd still be the OC this year...since there are so MANY of these misinformed Arians haters, I can't remember whom exactly it was, and I'm sure they either moved on or have also "forgotten" themselves...

Whatever. I still maintain that there's only one real way to look at this: If you don't like Arians, that's fine, but if you don't ACCEPT Arians, you are REALLY suggesting that the Steelers are stupid and know less about running an offense than you do, because they continue to retain his services. They are the Steelers, it's not like they can't go hire just about anybody else available if they so deigned.
Thanks for replying revefsreleets! For the record that bet was not with me I was even intelligent enough to realize that Arians would be our OC in 2009. You do know that I am not an Arians fan, but I can accept it since he is part of the Steelers team. Like I said in my original post the offense can only improve from the performance in 2008. Last year is done with and it's time to begin things for 2009. I am not here to begin another Arians debate. I just wanted to send a post out to you because like I said the last time we were going back and forth it was over Arians and I promised a rebuttal. I was trying to keep my word and that was the only reason this thread was generated.

I totally respect your opinion and just wanted to start off again on a positive note. Besides we get to witness the Steelers defend their title on Thursday night against the towel stomping Titans. And just to keep things a little humorous, you do realize that Chan Gailey is available again I look forward to talking Steelers football with you this season. Take care revefsreleets!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
shinoff2183
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13979

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
Bogus.

What about the WR's wide open all over the football field?

Tell me the Steelers route runners aren't getting open.

Tell me the Arians offense doesn't create mismatches for defenses across the NFL. (watch what Sweed does to this offense! ... Hines and Santo will be wide open because of Sweed matching up to an elite CB).

Tell me Willie Parker wasn't leading the NFL in rushing in 2007 before going down on the 1st play in Week 16 with a broken leg.

Tell me that in 2007 Ben didn't set a Steelers single season TD record.

Don't tell me the Steelers won in spite of the Bruce Arians offense last year. Bull sh!t!

Because I'll say you aren't really watching the games.

Last year the o-line blew. They were hurt, unseasoned and very pathetic. The offense scored 16 rushing TD's in spite of them! (16 rushing TD's is normal for a Pittsburgh offense but they diod it behind a line that blew.)

Arians is a damn genius! You just don't see it.

With Arians Ive had a love hate thing, but I think you just made me think a little bit and sway me. The only thing im not to fond of still is the damn 3rd and longs and he decides to run it.
shinoff2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoff2183 View Post
With Arians Ive had a love hate thing, but I think you just made me think a little bit and sway me. The only thing im not to fond of still is the damn 3rd and longs and he decides to run it.
That's not an Arians thing, or even a Steeler thing, that's just a football thing. You'll see a lot of teams spread the field on 3rd and long and run a draw or simple screen or something along those lines, and there's a lot of good reasons for that. Sometimes the runner actually breaks a long one off, and it's a lot safer than throwing the ball. Sometimes it's just to manuever for a punt, and often times, if the offense is deep in their own territory, it's just a prudent call to save the possible turn-over and ensuing either cheap score for the opposing D or short field for their offense...

Oh, and, markymark...thanks for being cool and classy about this...