Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
Stevo
Banned

Member Number: 12164
Default Wilbon Index: Top NFL Teams... Steelers #1

Great post by my boy Michael Wilbon from PTI. Finally, somebody with some sense.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/worl...l?hpid=topnews

The Wilbon Index: Top NFL Teams

Every week, I'll post a top 10 poll for both pro and college football. The NFL is particularly difficult to gauge the very first week, but here goes:

1) Steelers - Why people are picking the Patriots over the defending champs is beyond confusing to me; it's stupid. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls since New England has won it all. The Patriots have lost five key defenders from the team that lost in the Super Bowl two years ago. The Steelers have 19 of 22 starters back to defend their championship. I said last year I'd take Ben Roethlisberger over any and all NFL QBs, and Tom Brady's return doesn't change that.

2) Vikings - Not only does Minnesota have Adrian Peterson but Brett Favre is passing the ball to Bernard Berrian (20.1 yards per catch last season) and the Vikes can work versatile rookie Percy Harvin into the offensive scheme wherever they want. Oh, and the defense is real good.

3) Falcons - History says Falcons can't do it; the franchise has never had back-to-back winning seasons. Michael Turner, don't forget, trailed only Peterson in rushing last year, with 1,699 yards. Like that the team used seven of eight draft picks on defense. NFC South won't be as tough since Tampa and Carolina look to be on the slide. Matt Ryan will get better, having Tony Gonzalez to throw to.

4) Chargers - Most talented team in the league. It all comes together this year and they reach the AFC title game.

5) Patriots - Coming back from a serious knee injury isn't a given, even for The Golden Boy, Tom Brady.Trade of Richard Seymour could suggest superior scouting or incredible arrogance, that whoever the Patriots put out there will be just fine. Careful, careful.

6) Cardinals - I know, I know, I know. Seven of the last eight teams to lose in the Super Bowl didn't make the playoffs the next year. But if this team doesn't have a chip on its shoulder, something's very wrong. Ken Whisenhunt is going to emerge after going to the Super Bowl, strangely enough, as a really top-drawer NFL coach. Cards have the best offense in the NFC and they begin the season knowing everybody thinks last season was a fluke.

7) Giants - Need their Steve Smith and rookies Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden to evolve quickly into big-time pass catchers. They won't be as good as their 11-1 start last year suggested but the NFC East will be tight, very tight.

8) Colts - How much will Tony Dungy's departure hurt Indy? Nothing suggests that Jim Caldwell is going to come in making a bunch of wacky changes. Peyton Manning didn't leave with Dungy, and neither did Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, or most importantly the architect, Bill Polian.

9) Bears - The schedule is too difficult for the Bears to be more than 10-6, with 9-7 more likely. Jay Cutler has no No. 1 receiver. But, he is a legit No. 1 QB, which is rare in Chicago. And a competent offense will take pressure off the defense. Matt Forte accounted for a greater percentage of his team's yards from scrimmage (35) than any back in the league.

10) Eagles - Lot of changes for a conference finalist, some of them unwelcome, including the death of defensive coordinator supreme Jim Johnson. But finally, Donovan McNabb has some worthy targets in DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant and Kevin Curtis, plus tight end Bret Celek.

Next Five: Ravens, Texans, Packers, Saints, Titans
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618
Default Re: Wilbon Index: Top NFL Teams... Steelers #1

Where are the Bengals and Browns?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Where are the Bengals and Browns?

You'll have to scroll down until about February of 2011 if you want to see the Bengals and Browns.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

These rankings aren't bad because the Steelers are on top. I think that the Vikings and Falcons are rated a bit high. I would be hesitant to rank any NFC team ahead of the Chargers and Patriots. The Ravens were probably disrespected a bit. Oh well, thanks for the respect shown to Roethlisberger and the Steelers Michael.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I, too, believe the Falcs are rated too high, but at this point, who really knows?

Nice to see our Steelers on top of yet another list.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

It's really nice to see a writer referring to the constant Cheatriot knob polishing that infects most of the media as "stupid".
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Good to see the Steelers on top of course, but why the Falc are that high is beyond me.
I like the fact that he addressed even with Brady back, he would take Big Ben over him anyday!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

I live in DC, and Wilbon's opinion on anything other than basketball is pretty much irrelevant.

Football is bad enough, but Mike on baseball is embarrassing; Wilbon and Kornheiser have superficial understandings of pretty much every sport apart from the one which they each over.

I'm not being defensive here, just pointing out the obvious.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnet View Post
just pointing out the obvious.
I think "the obvious" is pretty obvious. The Ravens got dumped on, and you're angry.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
I think "the obvious" is pretty obvious. The Ravens got dumped on, and you're angry.
Why would I not have responded to all the other rankings that have disregard the Ravens, then?

I read this board regularly, and had every opportunity to "point out the obvious" in other threads as well.

These rankings are flawed as a whole in my opinion, but I apologize for speaking up.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote