Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Holmes eyes big season

Holmes eyes big season
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...ady-for-opener
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer

dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - Santonio Holmes was a guest on the Tonight Show and attended star-studded events in the months after winning Super Bowl MVP honors following his game-winning touchdown reception against the Arizona Cardinals in February.

Now, the 25-year-old Holmes has one more event he'd like to attend - a Pro Bowl.

To achieve that, the Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver will have to do something he never did in high school, at The Ohio State University or in his first three years with the Steelers. And that's have a 1,000-yard season.

That's right, not even at Ohio State, where Holmes was a first-team All-Big Ten selection in his final season.

"I think that one still kind of eats me up inside," Holmes said Monday as the Steelers prepared to open the 2009 season Thursday at Heinz Field against the Tennessee Titans.

"That touches me more than having the touchdowns, having the catches, just doing that one time in my career. Whenever it happens, I'm going to be excited and push for more."

Regardless of his statistics, Holmes enters the 2009 season with a little more attention from opponents, the fans and media.

That's what happens when you make one of the greatest game-winning touchdown receptions in NFL playoff history to go with a nine catches for 131 yards in the Super Bowl.

"Everywhere I go, even on MySpace, I get, 'Man, that was a great catch. That was a great game.' It's been a big part of my life ever since that happened," Holmes said.

"That's going to be a tag for the rest of my life. When I'm dead and gone, guys are going to remember that Super Bowl catch that helped the Steelers win their sixth title. That's definitely a great legacy to leave behind, but I still have a long way to go to finish off the rest of my career."

The first three years of Holmes' career have been filled with ups and downs.

Holmes was arrested twice following his selection in the first round of the 2006 draft - once for domestic abuse, the other for disorderly conduct - and again last season after he was pulled over in a traffic stop and marijuana was found in his vehicle. Charges in all three cases were eventually dropped, but Holmes saw his image take a hit.

Now, instead of those arrests, he's known for something different.

"It's been a lot of fun, a lot of issues, good and bad," said Holmes of how the Super Bowl changed things for him.

"I'm getting more of an opportunity to spend time with my family. It's been a lot of fun because those guys have been able to experience what I've been going through."

Holmes hopes that experience includes a better year than he had in 2008. Even though he set career highs with 55 receptions, he saw his touchdown total fall from eight to five, while his yards dropped from 942 to 821.

"The kid just works his tail off," said fellow wide receiver Hines Ward. "I know he wanted to have a big year. But I told him, you're only as good as your opportunities. Don't really look at your stats. I'm not really big on stats. Stats are really for fantasy football players."

They are words Holmes has taken to heart.

"Hines has reiterated that to me tons and tons of times throughout my four years here. 'Don't go out expecting the big numbers. Just go out, play hard and have fun, take it for what it's worth,'" Holmes said. "I've been in systems like that before in high school and college, only averaging about 30, 35 catches a season and still putting up good numbers. I'm not really comparing myself to the 100-catch guys with 1,500 yards. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, I won't be mad at myself."

Odds and end zones

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons was walking without a boot on his injured ankle but did not practice Monday. ... The Steelers signed defensive back Tuff Harris to their practice squad. Harris, a third-year player, spent 2007 with Miami and 2008 with Tennessee.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Blitzburgh 34
Banned

Member Number: 14463
Default Re: Holmes eyes big season

Good to hear that even though he wants big #s he won't get too worked up over them. That's always been one of the downfalls with Pittsburgh since I've been watching....the receivers aren't content with a running/defensive oriented team philosophy.
Blitzburgh 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

I see him having a breakout season this year.

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Id love to see a 1,000 yard receiving season for Holmes with 8+ TD's. We all know he is capable and I look for him to only improve as each season comes along and him and Ben only grow more connected and become a one-two punch in the NFL.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,344 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Id love to see a 1,000 yard receiving season for Holmes with 8+ TD's. We all know he is capable and I look for him to only improve as each season comes along and him and Ben only grow more connected and become a one-two punch in the NFL.
Agreed I would love for Holmes to reach a 1,000 Yards this year. The only kick back is you know Ward will get his share of catches along with Sweed and Miller Plus you have to throw Wallace in the mix as well. I think it will be hard for him to do it unless he breaks off some big plays this year.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Boomerang
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7503

I think he is ready to have a good go at 1000 yards and it all depends on how well the O line and the run are playing.

"Don't doubt me, because that's when I get stronger.. ..Marvin Hagler
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I just love Santo - always have. He strives to be the best and like most of the Steelers - sees that there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Quote:
Don't really look at your stats. I'm not really big on stats. Stats are really for fantasy football players."
Me thinks a few around here need to take Hines' advice.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I know stats may not mean much but a friend I'm in a fantasy football league with made a side bet.

He thinks that Braylon Edwards will have more fantasy points at the end of the year than Holmes. I took the bet.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,043 Times in 416 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I know stats may not mean much but a friend I'm in a fantasy football league with made a side bet.

He thinks that Braylon Edwards will have more fantasy points at the end of the year than Holmes. I took the bet.
well now that you have taken the bet and santonio does not have a good year we will all blame you
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

Hasn't there been a thread like this for the past two years also? I could care less as long as Santo brings it when it matters most like he did last year.

He is CLUTCH!