Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers fans, are you ready for some football?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_642367.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers fans, are you ready for some football?

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 10, 2009

Get ready for some goose bumps.

The National Football League and NBC worked for nearly five months formulating a special introduction to tonight's season-opening game between the Steelers and the Tennessee Titans. When fans gather at Heinz Field or in front of television sets at 8:30, they'll hear:

Ladies and gentlemen, let's welcome America to the home of the six-time Super Bowl-champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

"That will ignite a pyro show all over the city," said Fred Gaudelli, producer of NBC's night-time football telecasts. "We're talking major fireworks."

As fireworks blast from a barge on the Allegheny River, from PPG Tower and other Downtown sites, the scoreboard will show footage of key plays from last year's Super Bowl victory over the Arizona Cardinals. Ex-Steelers including Lynn Swann, Rocky Bleier and Franco Harris will be shown sporting their championship rings, and a montage will appear of the franchise's three title-winning coaches -- Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin.

"The show will end up with a major pyro display in the stadium and the unveiling of the championship banner," Gaudelli said, "and it will culminate with the team running onto the field."

Sounds good to Steelers linebacker James Farrior.

"That stadium," Farrior said, "is going to be unbelievable."

More than 65,000 fans are expected to pack the stadium. Harry Connick Jr. is scheduled to sing the national anthem, and about 40 family members who lost loved ones on United Airlines Flight 93 in Somerset County during the terrorist attacks of 9/11 will be on the field for a moment of remembrance.

Former Steelers star and newly inducted Pro Football Hall of Famer Rod Woodson will do the ceremonial coin toss.

Just having the Titans in town might be cause enough for fireworks. It was only last season that the Titans pounded the Steelers, 31-14, in a regular-season game in Nashville and had the audacity to stomp on some Terrible Towels while they were at it.

"I think everyone in this city is amped up," Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. "We've been waiting to get the season back on -- and definitely against Tennessee, a team that beat us last year and kind of disrespected us a little bit by stepping on the towel."

Kickoff will happen about two hours after the Penguins are scheduled to meet President Obama in the White House to commemorate their Stanley Cup championship.

Back at Point State Park, an NFL-themed party has raged all week. The league's Kickoff Festival will culminate with a free concert featuring Tim McGraw and The Black Eyed Peas. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league expects as many as 50,000 people to attend the concert.

The park will open for admission at 4 p.m., when the NFL will show "America's Game: 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers," an NFL Network production chronicling the team's Super Bowl season. McGraw will perform for an hour at about 5:30 p.m., followed by 60 minutes with The Black Eyed Peas at 6:40. The two acts will perform again at 8 as part of a live show produced by NBC and the NFL Network.

Every year, the Super Bowl champion is invited to open on Thursday night at home with an NBC/NFL celebration. NBC executives anticipate a huge viewing audience. When the Steelers opened defense of their Super Bowl title in 2006 against the Miami Dolphins, 19.3 million viewers tuned in, a record for a Thursday night game.

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor likes basking in that kind of limelight.

"Man, everybody's going to be watching," Taylor said. "First game of the year, you got your family watching, your friends watching and people who don't even care watching just 'cause."

In each of their six Super Bowl-winning seasons, the Steelers opened with a victory, outscoring opponents by an average margin of 31-9.

The NBC telecast will be historic because it won't feature iconic analyst John Madden, who retired after last season. He was replaced by former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Cris Collinsworth, who will team with play-by-play man Al Michaels.

"I'm really excited about this," Collinsworth said. "This is an incredible opportunity for me; it's a chance to work with the very best in the business across the board.

"... The people I talk with around the country just want me to tell John thanks. They want me to say how much they appreciate what he meant to them and what he meant to their lives. He was part of the family."

Joe Starkey can be reached at jstarkey@tribweb.com or 412-320-7810.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Re: Steelers fans, are you ready for some football?

Yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

"The NBC telecast will be historic because it won't feature iconic analyst John Madden"

I'm so happy that fat, senile, Steeler hating psycho isn't doing this game. I'll be able to watch it with the sound up.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

OMG I CAN't WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
randy06
Team Captain

Member Number: 8046

Im stoked, however im debating if i should attend the concert and try to haul to the game after they both perform what do you guys think?
randy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

It's not just going to be football........

.........IT'S GOING TO BE PITTSBURGH STEELERS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
sherlock
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7836

Nah!...pretty indifferent about it all really....
Good Luck Steelers!!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

IM READY!!!!
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #9
Lock Down
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9857

I am pumped, let's go!!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Well... by the time I wake up tomorrow, we will only have a few hours left until the beginning of this game!

it is TIME for the title defense!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote