Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Mike Tomlin talks about the Steelers performance against the Titans

Mike Tomlin talks about the Steelers performance against the Titans
September 11, 4:55 AM
Pittsburgh Sports ExaminerMatt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...nst-the-Titans

Talking about the game: Coming into this game we talked about things we needed to do to be successful. We talked about big men and blades of grass Ė winning the trench warfare. We didnít do that. I thought we had to take care of the football and win the turnover battle because Kerry Collins is great at taking care of the football. We didnít do that. We talked about out-hitting them. Chances are the more violent team usually wins. The jury is out on that. The last thing we talked about was not riding the emotional roller coaster and being prepared to play 60-plus minutes of football. We did that. We did a great job of it.

How serious is Troy Polamaluís knee injury?
I donít know at this point. It is a MCL sprain. They are reading the scans and so forth. Those things have a range of three-to-six (weeks). It is speculation at this point.

Is there a chance it could be worse?
Iím sure there is a possibility of it but I donít have any concrete evidence that there is anything more than that.

How do you think your defense adjusted to not having Troy?
The standard is the standard for the 11 men on the field for us. They made some plays on us because they are a good football team. Their quarterback is good with the football. Their running game got clicking there at times cutting the ball back on us with some of their zone-scheme blocking. It is just a tough get when you play good people. Our guys hung in there. Fortunately we were able to be victorious.

Do you attribute some of your struggles with the running game to the team you were playing?
You always give credit to worthy opponents. They did a nice job. It is obvious that we have to do a better job as well. There is no question they did a nice job tonight of stacking our running game up. As good of a defense as they are and as good of a front seven as they are, we have to do better than that if we want to consistently be in the victory lane.

How did Ben Roethlisberger do with the no-huddle?
He was Ben. When rubber meets the road he is at his best. In those moments he sees (the field) with great clarity. He provided quality plays for us time and time again.

Did Hines Wardís fumble last in regulation make you decide to kick quickly in overtime?
No, we were just waiting until we were comfortably in range, and when we were, we were going to kick it.

Did you say anything to Hines after the fumble?
No, Hines is a veteran football player. We are not going to lose confidence in Hines because of that play. More than anything, that guy always wants to deliver for his teammates. Of course he wasnít able to do it in that instance. Such is life Ė we donít always get it the way we envision it.

Why were you so patient with the running game?
We are going to continue to do that. We are not going to abandon anything we set out to do on any given week. I ask our guys to play like that so I have to coach like that. They do so we do.

Why did you use Mewelde Moore in short-yardage behind Frank Summers late in the game?
He was the guy who happened to be in the game. I think we talked about that leading up to the game. I think until we get great clarity about who can distinguish themselves in that area in regular-season football, we are going to go with the guys who are in the game. He happened to be in the game.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,985 Posts
My Mood: Angelic
Default Re: Mike Tomlin talks about the Steelers performance against the Titans

Why didn't he just say, "Troy didn't play the 2nd half"?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote