Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Trying Something New Here...

OK, mods, bear with me for a second...this article is NOT about the Steelers, but I can relate it to the Steelers if you give me a second, and hopefully it will help prove a point.

This article was in the local paper. It's about my Zips preparing to open their new stadium BUT, more importantly, it's about the PREPARATIONS the coaches go through getting ready for the game, watching film, making a gameplan, etc, etc...

What I'm hoping people will do is read the article and think about how it applies to the Steelers coaching staff, the preparations THEY make for game, the film THEY watch, how intricate and detailed and well-thought out every detail is. Bear in mind, Akron is mid-tier D-1 school, and the coaches don't have the rime and the resources the NFL coaches do, so it's safe to guess that BA and Tomlin and the assistants probably put in MORE hours and spend MORE time and have a keener eye for detail and preparation than the coaches in this article.

My overall point is, for the casual fan posting here, how can you possibly think you're in a better position to draw up game plans than the coaching staff of a professional football team? MOST importantly, I guarantee, I GUARANTEE ANYTHING anybody here has ever though of or suggested or criticized has been watched on film, identified, discussed, analyzed, etc, etc...the coaches know more than you. They just do, and they've already figured out what's wrong and how to fix it...

Please read this extremely long article and see if it doesn't help give you (an you know who I'm directing this to) a LITTLE healthier perspective on what is REALLY going on....

(edit) This is a great article for ANY football fan to read, regardless...

http://www.ohio.com/sports/58504077.html

An excerpt...
9:30 a.m.
The offensive staff is back, coffee flowing freely.
As coaches study more tape and come up with plays to counter what they expect to see, the language becomes something only those inside the team can understand.
''We can put the hawk stuff in so we can go 98.''
''We could keep it the same as long as we change the acute.''
''We could run sluggo too.''
''We've got to stay out of that dover hole.''
''How about the sprint creek out of the double flip?''
''What is Z doing on the backside of the poster?''
''You want to treat punch like skirt?''
At one point, a staff member comes in to show the staff the new signals. Each play is signaled from the sideline by three people — and only the offense knows which is active.
It's almost like watching a game of charades.
''We've only got about 4,000 of them,'' Montgomery quips.
Zips coaches also recognize they must change some signals because former UA quarterback Carlton Jackson starts for Morgan State.
At one point, Callahan gets up to write down the plays that will be used in certain formations. He picks up a brown marker and asks if brown is OK.
''Did we use brown last week?'' Montgomery says. ''Let's change it up. Until we start winning. Shake it up.''
When some wonder about a set of plays, Brookhart says to practice them. ''We've got three days to get it right,'' he says.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Trying Something New Here...

Great article! It's always easy to second guess
Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Great read---and you're absolutely right about the "armchair" coaching staff we have here...

I don't always agree with BA's calls---sometimes find myself screaming at the TV---but then I realize that he may be trying to set something up down the road, or he may have gotten a "read" from the coaches booth, or...a thousand other things that cause him to call something the way he does...
Tomlin likes him.
The FO likes him.

Good enough for me 'cause there are a whole bunch more trophies in their "house" than in mine!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,180 Times in 2,659 Posts

this reminded me of Sherlock trying to learn and asking about tomlin, and what he actually does during the games. often times he is just standing there while lebeau and arians are calling the games.

i forgot to answer but this article helps. a perfect example of what tomlin does during the games is james harrisons 100 yard play in the sb (arguably the greatest play in nfl history)

we know lebeau called the defensive play that put james in the perfect position. nfl films sideline shot of tomlin reveals that he told lebeau what offensive play the cardinals were going to run. through countless hours of study of the cardinals at that down and distance in the redzone he knew they would not run it and that it would be either a quick slant or fade to a wr.

he put lebeau in the perfect position to make the call, just like lebeau put his players in the perfect position to make what seemed to be a miracle play. it was all preparation.

also in regards to this single play tomlin reveals in Americas Game, that he had trouble sleeping on a weds night. his players were picking off alot of balls in practice but he felt they were a little lacidasical in "getting offensive" and turning into blockers to run the pick back.

so in the middle of the night tomlin was cutting up film of practice to show to the players in the morning. he didnt say much. he told them they would need 1 if not 2 of those run back to beat the cardinals. he said the last time he coached in the superbowl, his guys ran back 3, and he thought that [the bucs] was a great defense. this kinda sent the message home and lit a fire under the steelers ass. he said the rest of the week they got after it and were getting out front, the rest of the week.

Americas Game also has a clip of the steelers leaving the field for halftime right after the play. tomlin is running off behind woodley. woodley is jubilant and thumping his chest and barking to the cameras as if they had already won. "thats how the steelers do it" or something to that affect. tomlin yells "hey, we still got 2 more," at which point woodley say "oh yeah" and yells out "but it aint over yet".

in a final act of coaching the nfl films sb highlight dvd reveals tomlin on the sideline with woodley on the cardinals final drive, telling him personally to go make a play and bring us home.

woodley forces a fumble, steelers recover, game over.

so the point is, countless hours went into preparation for this single play that won us the game. and this is just one example. the same can be said for every play on bens final drive and santonio's spectacular catch. tomlin had to have known exactly what defense the cardinals would run and how to attack it.

for the head coach, all the real hard work is done mon-sat, to the point where the actual 3 hours spent "in stadiums" on sundays are really the 3 easiest hours of the work week.

if prepared the coach can sit back, let the coordinators do their job and make sure the lamaar woodleys dont get profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery or complacent.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Dont forget Arians has the confidence of # 7. Ben is the biggest supporter of BA.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Funny, and all this time I thought the coaches put in 80+ hours a week just to get away from their nagging wives....

/sarcasm
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

great read thanks for posting! At times we forget how lucky we are

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Good read....but I guess we had might as well shut down the forum.

If we are not allowed to be armchair quarterbacks and have our own opinions, no matter how amateur they are, we had just might as well set up a cheerleading forum.

That is all.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Good read....but I guess we had might as well shut down the forum.

If we are not allowed to be armchair quarterbacks and have our own opinions, no matter how amateur they are, we had just might as well set up a cheerleading forum.

That is all.
There is a very big difference between being an armchair qb (or OC) and actually speaking as if you know better. The former is fun, the latter is pompous and arrogant.

I love discussing and debating sports and football. There are times I wonder why Arians does the things he does. Times I get mad at him for doing those things. However, I understand that he knows better than me what is really happening. He has a STRATEGY while I am just looking for 4 or 5 yards.

Maybe it is because, in many ways, I am in the same boat he is in as a pastor. I try and lead my church. I see things way out in the future. I see things that we need to avoid. I see things we need to do. I also see things that aren't that important, even though others think it is important, mainly because in the end, those things do not help with the overall strategy and objective.

People in my church disagree with me. They may think I am wrong. But the do not have the depth or breadth of understanding concerning all the ins and outs that I do.

When I was an associate pastor--or even a member of another church after being a pastor, I STILL don't have all the pieces. So while I can make observations, wonder about things with more accuracy, etc., fact of the matter is, It would still be pompous and arrogant to assume that I know as much or more than the coaches.

We can all see it isn't working. What YOU and I and OTHERS don't know, is what is happening behind the scenes. That means everything and makes all our armchair predictions garbage.

So have fun, make armchair predictions and assessments... heck, I do. But when it comes to reality.. keep in mine the amateurs watch the game, the professionals coach and play the game.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
keep in mind the amateurs watch the game, the professionals coach and play the game.
this statement sums up everything ive been thinking after reading the endless negativity on this website the past couple of days.....well said Preacher, well said