Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rushing Game Problems for Pittsburgh Steelers are in the Back Field.

Rushing Game Problems for Pittsburgh Steelers are in the Back Field.
by Nick Signorelli Columnist
Written on September 12, 2009
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ield/show_full

PITTSBURGH, PA - SEPTEMBER 10: Running back Willie Parker #39 of the Pittsburgh Steelers runs with the football against the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field on September 10, 2009 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Steelers defeated the Titans 13-10 in overtime. (Photo by Scott Boehm/Getty Images) (Photo by Scott Boehm/Getty Images)

The biggest weakness of the Pittsburgh Steelers entering the 2008 offseason was the offensive line. After the Steelers management made no real effort to improve the unit, many believed the Steelers were in for a long year.

It is debatable that the reason for the Steelers rushing game finishing 23rd in 2008, was that the offensive line was just not able to do their job. Starting out the 2009 season, the real culprit reared its ugly head, and the true identity of the weakness is no longer a secret.

The running game of the Pittsburgh Steelers, if you want to call it that, was non-existent in the season opening game Thursday on NBC. Starter Willie Parker carried the ball 13 times for 19 yards.

To make matters worse, one of those carries was for eight yards. His average minus his long run was less than one yard per carry.

Former first round pick Rashard Mendenhall had four carries for six yards, with a long of three, meaning other than his long, he averaged one yard per carry as well.

In the fourth quarter of the game, when the Steelers went to the "Lightning" package (no huddle offense), Mewelde Moore was the only running back on the field, and he managed eight yards on five carries. After his long of four yards, he also averaged one yard per carry.

Frank Summers started his first game at full back, and to say he did not play well, would be a compliment. On two separate third-and-one situations, the Tank plowed over nothing but himself, missing two critical blocks, that cost the Steelers two first downs.

A cold hard reality now face the Steelers, what happens next?

"Fast" Willie Parker looked anything but fast. Every time he touched the ball, he seemed to run directly into the defense of the Titans.

Not taking anything away from the Titans, their defense played a fantastic game, but "Fast" Willie did not look very fast. Nearing the dreaded age of 30, Willie Parker can no longer rely on his speed to just out run everyone on the field.

Playing in his contract year, Parker needs to show that he still has what it takes to be the feature back in the NFL. If tonight is any indication of how the year will go, Parker could be in his last year in the NFL.

Rashard Mendenhall, who was the Steelers 2008 first round pick, has done less than Parker. A players first year with the Steelers, they normally do not get a lot of quality playing time. Mendenhall was lost for the season five games into his rookie year.

In the preseason, while Parker was nursing injuries, Mendenhall got the start, and his chance to show that he was ready to take over the featured back role. What he showed, was he was afraid of getting injured again.

Every time Mendenhall was about to get hit, he seemed to duck, or fall, or run out of bounds. That is not what Steelers running back do.

The Steelers have a long history of having punishing running backs. From Franco Harris, Barry Foster, Bam Morris, and Jerome Bettis, the Steelers have big backs to pound of defenses, to wear them out, and win at the end.

Rashard Mendenhall is not the typical Steelers big back.

Mewelde Moore was brought to Pittsburgh to be a third down back. That is his role, that is his job. Catching passes out of the back field is where Moore excels, and when he is asked to do that, and only that, he does it well.

But, Moore is not a starter. He is not a runner that scares defensive coordinators, at least not rushing the ball.

If Moore is asked to carry the ball, he will never last an entire season, and the Steelers ground game will get no better.

Where do we go from here?

The Steelers next game is in Chicago, against the Bears. The Bears are another team that prides themselves on punishing people with their defense, as were the Titans.

So, what does Pittsburgh do about their ground game? Simple, start from scratch.

The Steelers identity is no longer the power running game, and punishing defense. The defense is still punishing, but the ground game is just not there.

It is time to cut the trends, realize that these Steelers are not your parents Steelers, and start from scratch.

Right now, there is a man that played with the Steelers this preseason, his name is Isaac Redman, and he is currently on the practice squad. He needs to be signed to the active roster immediately.

Is he the next Jerome Bettis? Doubtful. Could he do worse than Parker and Mendenhall? How much worse than one yard per carry could he be?

Redman was signed this offseason as an undrafted free agent. During the preseason, he carried the ball 37 times for 145 yards (3.9 per carry), and three touch downs. What was most impressive, his touch down run against the Carolina Panthers came with the Steelers second team in the game, and the Panthers first team defense.

On the run, Redman piled into the Panthers secondary, broke four tackles, and plowed his way into the end zone. One of those broken tackles was Julius Peppers.

Redman also scored in practice three times out of six, during the Steelers goal line drill, pitting first team offense against first team defense. If he can pound it in the end zone against the Steelers defense, then he can do it against anyone.

Justin Vincent is in his second go around with the Steelers, and like Redman, is also on the practice squad. Vincent did no where near as well in the preseason as Redman did, but the heart and determination he displayed, should at least get him a shot. Vincent could spell Redman, or play if Redman is injured.

I will be the first person to tell you that I am not sold on starting a rookie, and having even one in the back field makes me nervous. But at this point, what do the Steelers have to lose?

As long as the only options the Steelers have are "Slow" Willie Parker, and Rashard "Don't hit me" Mendenhall, I will take a running back that is not afraid to stick his neck out, and get the job done. Even if he is a rookie.

There is an old saying, those that do not learn from their mistakes, are bound to repeat them. The mistake the Steelers made this off season (and it is the only one I have noticed), was not bringing in someone that could push Mendenhall and Parker for playing time.

Keeping them could be a mistake that eventually costs the Steelers Lombardi No. 7.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Rushing Game Problems for Pittsburgh Steelers are in the Back Field.

Seriously, has anyone ever seen so many negative articles after a Steelers victory? Damn near EVERY article I've read has been nothing but doom and gloom.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts
Default Re: Rushing Game Problems for Pittsburgh Steelers are in the Back Field.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

No doubt he's trying to mix something up by setting himself apart from the unanimous voice of all the other analysts

He's either got a lot of balls or just isn't too bright to make a call like this based off of one game. Anyone doing a prognosis of where our OL would get us after the Eagles raped us last season would have suggested missing the play offs all together, but things obviously happened differently.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Seriously, has anyone ever seen so many negative articles after a Steelers victory? Damn near EVERY article I've read has been nothing but doom and gloom.
i like how these fools seem to dismiss the fact that the Dlinemen are in the backfield before the rb's take a step... but i'm sure a rb that runs a 4.7 forty would do much better...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
GridironWarrior
Starter

Member Number: 9565

If we had the Titants oline Wille and Rashard would be slash and dash or whatever nickname they want. Those 5 up front of hurting the running game. i don't know if the scheme or their general lack of talent.
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Kinda weird first game of the season.....Seems every other first game Willie ran for a ton of yards........But then again that was Houston a couple of times, the old Titans that sucked, and Cleveland........The Titans might have the best D line in the league this year........We never run well against the Ravens either.........You just gotta get back at next week and try to run over da Bears.......We'll see.........Now we know how every other team we play feels.......Except they got an excuse, they played th #1 D......Like I said, if the Titans keep this up ,they will be the best line in the league..........
Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

I feel dumber having read this article
Old 09-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

man i am so sick of hearing "the steelers are in trouble" weve "been in trouble" for years now these writers just copy each others articles about the steelers run game then add some smart ass remark extra. im with x terminator, ive never heard so much trash talking after a victory in my life for any team
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Good run defenses bring the worst out of teams that are supposed to be running teams.

I've got no hard data, but I can remember long ago watching games where Franco just didn't get much yardage. He too had his regrettable games occasionally.

It's OK for the Steelers defense to shut down 31 other NFL rushing attacks regularly. But God forbid when a good stout NFL rush defense shuts down our RB's.

I love the way Redman runs. And I like to pull for the underdog. I'd love to see him get his shot some day.

For now, everyone will STFU when Parker gashes a softer defense. Parker's a gamer and he wears his pride on his sleeve.
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote