Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Official Juarez drug war death count thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
1) you now need a passport.
5) a donkey show simply isnt worth the risk.
1) I have a passport.
5) I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much.

Seriously though, I doubt I'll go. I've never been to Mexico, but it looks like now is not the time, and Juarez is not the place. Going to Jamaica this spring, so I guess I'll break out the passport then.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,751 Times in 2,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
1) I have a passport.
5) I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much.

Seriously though, I doubt I'll go. I've never been to Mexico, but it looks like now is not the time, and Juarez is not the place. Going to Jamaica this spring, so I guess I'll break out the passport then.
word.

i still need to cross "see donkey show" off my bucket list.

but with my blond hair and blue eyes, im still not sure if i would feel safer strolling the streets of juarez or baghdad.

that is enough of a deterrent for me.

not that i wouldnt do it. i let my mom take my daughter south of the border (yuma/algadones) earlier this year.

i have been to algadones, nogales (south of tucson) and juarez multiple times. it is really fun, cool, and a bit of a culture that everyone should experience atleast once.

but im thinking wazoo may be the murder capital of the world right now.

i wanted to take my 2 cousins down there last summer (who were visiting from pgh) but i knew my family would kick my ass.

DO IT!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i still need to cross "see donkey show" off my bucket list.
See the movie Clerks 2.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
tony hipchest

Killings in Juárez: Girl, 9, among 35 homicides in first 4 days of October

http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez/ci_13486037

Quote:
The wave of killings has not slowed in Juárez, with more than 35 homicides in the first four days of October.

Victims include a 9-year-old girl, a female police officer and five men killed in a Saturday afternoon shooting at a gas station.

The girl, identified as Laisa Flores Carrillo, and 24-year-old Elvia Lopez were killed Thursday night when gunmen fired 31 rounds at a Dodge Ram 2500 in the Paseos de Zaragoza area in east Juárez, Chihuahua state police said.

A man, another woman and a boy were wounded in the shooting.

On Friday, Chihuahua state police crime scene investigator Claudia Elizabeth Valdez Reyes, 27, was shot and killed Friday on a sidewalk, officials said. She had started to work for the state police in January.

At about 1 p.m. Saturday, five men were killed at a gas station in colonia Altavista. One man was next to a red 2003 Hummer H2 while the other victims were shot to death in the station's restroom, police said.

Police said that only one victim, Javier Mercado Castańeda, 47, had been identified.

The number of murders is on pace with last month. September ended with an unofficially tally of at least 300 homicides. There were more than 300 homicides in August.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #15
tony hipchest

yeah, no donkey show for me. this hits a little too close to home...

http://www.alamogordonews.com/alamog...ws/ci_13716695

Airman killed in Juarez
HAFB Staff Sgt. David Booher one of six shot in Mexican bar

Quote:
A medic from Holloman Air Force Base may have been attempting to treat wounded victims in a shooting when he was targeted and killed by gunmen inside a Juárez strip club, a friend of the airman said.

Staff Sgt. David Booher, 26, was among six men killed just after midnight Wednesday in the Amadeus strip club, Chihuahua state police and Holloman Air Force Base officials said. Booher was with the 49th Fighter Wing.

The strip club shooting was part of another violent day in Juárez in which at least six other killings took place including four young men who were lined against a wall and executed outside an elementary school.

Booher, who has family in El Paso and Juárez, was on his day off and had gone with friends to Juárez, said his friend Eric Estrada, who was not part of the group.

Estrada, 28, said his friends told him what happened when gunmen burst into the Amadeus, a neon-lit strip club billed as "El Imperio del Placer" (the Empire of Pleasure) on Avenida Ejercito Nacional.

"They (the shooters) went in there acting as federal agents. They told everyone not to move or they would kill them," Estrada said. "Nobody saw exactly how they killed him (Booher) because they were all face down. ... My other friends who were with him think that because he is a combat medic when he moved to try to help someone they shot him."

Estrada described Booher as a likeable guy who because of his military training did not worry about visiting Juárez. Booher's good looks had gotten him a spot as an extra in a "Transformers" movie filmed at Holloman Air Force Base.

Chihuahua state attorney general's spokesman Arturo Sandoval said the hitmen fired 30 rounds. Estrada said Booher was shot six times.

Also killed were club employees, waiter Luis Fabian Carbajal Hernandez, 24, and security guard Omar Osvaldo Garcia Cabrales, 32. Three other men killed had yet to be identified.

Authorities initially said 10 others were wounded but Sandoval said there was only one other person wounded, who was identified as Jaime Alberto Arguelles.

Due to the violence, the 12th Air Force, which includes the 49th Fighter Wing, earlier this year restricted personnel from travelling to Mexican border cities and the entire state of Chihuahua. Fort Bliss has also banned its soldiers from visiting Juárez.

The Amadeus shooting was part of a plague of violence spurred by a war between drug cartels in Juárez that has included several mass shootings inside bars, restaurants, drug rehab centers and other public sites.

Some of the shootings have been linked to extortion attempts, gang warfare or targeted businesses that were drug-trafficking fronts. The violence continues daily.

Also on Wednesday, four men were lined up and shot execution style against a wall outside an elementary school around 12:30 p.m. in south Juárez. The men, who appeared to be in their early 20s, were shot in the head, Chihuahua state police said.

There were two more murders as of early Wednesday evening raising the death toll past 30 for the first four days of November.

There have been more than 2,000 murders in the Juárez area this year, surpassing the 1,600 killed when the cartel war began last year.

thats real nice. line up 4 men directly outside an elementary school wall in the middle of the school day and execute them. pretty twisted.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Well I finally made it to El Paso. Really want to go south of the border, but after watching the news here, I guess I better keep my gringo butt here.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
tony hipchest

its not that bad if your going dowm there during the day for an innocent birthday party or something...

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_143785...ce=most_viewed

Quote:
A hit team described as the shock troops of the Juárez drug cartel and Azteca gangsters are suspected of being involved in the recent massacre of students in Juárez, according to information from the Chihuahua state attorney general.

The attorney general's office said the involvement of Los Linces and an Azteca leader were revealed in interrogations of two men arrested in connection with the Jan. 30 attack at a birthday party that killed 16 people, including 11 teens.

Los Linces (the lynxes) is a secretive assassination group reportedly made up of former Mexico special forces soldiers. The group works for the Juárez drug cartel, reputedly led by Vicente Carrillo Fuentes.
An unidentified leader of Los Linces, depicted wearing sunglasses in an artist rendering, had a support role in the mass shooting, according to the attorney general's office. The role was not specified.

Los Linces is made up of no more than 80 members operating in cells of four or five in Juárez and Chihuahua City, reported Mexico's El Universal newspaper. Los Linces members are rumored to communicate only with cartel leaders and have been compared with the paramilitary Zetas of the Gulf cartel.
In November, the Mexican army arrested three alleged Linces in Juárez. They were accused in 26 murders, including victims who refused to pay extortion "quotas," members of a rival cartel and independent drug dealers.

More than 4,300 people have been killed in Juárez since 2008, in part because of a war between the Juárez drug cartel and the "Gente Nueva," or the new people, with the Sinaloa cartel, reputedly headed by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

A spokeswoman for the Drug Enforcement Administration in El Paso confirmed that the agency is aware of Los Linces.

"Our intelligence indicates that a group we know as Los Linces are operating in Mexico as an enforcement arm under the Vicente Carrillo Fuentes organization," DEA Special Agent Diana Apodaca said.

Apodaca said there is no indication Los Linces works in El Paso or elsewhere in the U.S.

Mexican authorities said the assault on the birthday party was well-planned. The location was first

scouted and the block was then sealed off and lookouts were posted outside before gunmen entered the party at a house in southeast Juárez. Authorities said the killers believed the students were members of a rival gang.
The attack's alleged mastermind, Adrian "El Rama" Ramirez of El Paso, was later killed in a shootout with soldiers. Jose Dolores Arroyo Chavarria and Israel Arzate Melendez, aka "El 24" or "El Country," have been arrested. More than a dozen suspects remain at large.

Chihuahua Attorney General Patricia Gonzalez said the shooters included men working for an Azteca leader.

"Five members of El Rama's group were backed by people from an Azteca leader. É People from the Azteca leader's group were the only ones who had their mouths and jaws covered" by masks, Gonzalez said.

The gang leader was not named.

Eduardo "Tablas" Ravelo, who is accused of being the Juárez boss for the Barrio Azteca gang, is on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted Fugitives list. A spokeswoman for the FBI in El Paso would not discuss whether Ravelo is the gang leader mentioned by Mexican authorities.

A spokesman for the Chihuahua attorney general's office said no further information on the student killing would be released.

"We cannot give out more information because of the ongoing investigation," spokes man Vladimir Tuexi said. "When we have more precise information we will gladly release it."

The massacre of young people, described as good kids, students and athletes, caused an outcry in Juárez -- a city already numbed by two years of rampant and gruesome violence.

Mexican President Felipe Calderón is scheduled to visit Juárez today. He is expected to present his Juárez Initiative Plan to control the violence. Where he will meet with local officials has not been announced.

los lynxes sounds like some hard core, kill bill type shit.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #18
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

The pathetic thing is, if they wanted to clean up that city...they could.

WAY too much money in the drug trade, and they know it.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,509 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
Well I finally made it to El Paso. Really want to go south of the border, but after watching the news here, I guess I better keep my gringo butt here.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Tempting.