Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused
Default Re: Official Juarez drug war death count thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

thank you for that....my soul has now been completely erased....just poof, nothing left.
i must now go into the wilderness, find my inner squirrel master, and zen myself into a "happy" place.
urgle burgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

i dont think ive laughed this hard since watching the hangover.

mop
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #23
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

That's a shame that 18 people were executed like that. Maybe we should make all those cops train like our cops. I know that won't happen, but I don't know. It just sucks its starting to come on our land.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #24
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I have family four hours south of Juarez, and it sucks that I can't even go down there to visit. They tell me, "Hey, it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be!".

But they also like to tell the stories of the fully automatic weapons they hear firing a few times per week around their neighborhoods.

NO THANKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #25
tony hipchest

yesterdays murder is getting some national attention here in the states-

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=T1

3 people associated with U.S. consulate killed in Mexico

Quote:
(CNN) -- Three people connected to the U.S. consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, were killed in a drive-by shooting in the violent border city, a senior White House official told CNN Sunday.

One of the victims was an American employee at the consulate. Her husband and the husband of a Mexican employee of the consulate were also killed. The shooting happened Saturday afternoon, the official said.

Details of the killings were not immediately available, but the news had reached the White House.

"The President is deeply saddened and outraged by the news of the brutal murders of three people associated with the United States Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez," National Security Council spokesman Mike Hammer said in a statement Sunday. "He extends his condolences to the families and condemns these attacks on consular and diplomatic personnel serving at our foreign missions. In concert with Mexican authorities, we will work tirelessly to bring their killers to justice."

In response, the U.S. State Department authorized the temporary relocation of employees' families working in border-area consulates.

The families of employees at U.S. consulates in Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey and Matamoros are allowed to leave for a period of 30 days "in response to an increase in violence along the Mexican side of its border with the U.S.," State Department spokesman Fred Lash told CNN.

After 30 days, the authorization can be renewed, depending on a review, Lash said, adding that this was not a mandatory evacuation.

Ciudad Juarez is one of the frontlines in Mexico's war against the drug cartels that operate in its territory.

Juarez, located on the border across from El Paso, Texas, has become a focal point of Mexican President Felipe Calderon's anti-drug efforts after the January 31 killings of 15 people there, most of whom were students with no ties to organized crime. The incident sparked outrage across Mexico.

The government has not released official figures, but national media say 7,600 Mexicans lost their lives in the war on drugs in 2009. Calderon said last year that 6,500 Mexicans died in drug violence in 2008.

Meanwhile, farther south in Mexico, at least 25 people were killed in a series of violent incidents in the western Mexican state of Guerrero on Saturday, state officials said.

The bodies of 14 people, including nine civilians and five police officers, were found in various parts of the resort city of Acapulco, the official Notimex news agency reported, citing Guerrero Public Security Secretary Juan Heriberto Salinas.

In the small city of Ajuchitlan del Progreso, 10 civilians and one soldier were killed in two shootouts that started when federal officials tried to carry out search warrants on two locations, Salinas said.

Police in the state were on a heightened security alert, he said.
acapulco now? that cant be good. the tourism industry definitely doesnt want to see that.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #26
tony hipchest

http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez/ci_14959082
Quote:
Juárez nears 5,000 killings
By Daniel Borunda \ El Paso Times
Posted: 04/26/2010 12:00:00 AM MDT

As of Sunday evening, there have been more than 760 murders this year, raising to 4,992 homicides in the Juárez area since 2008 when a drug cartel war erupted, according to a tally kept by the El Paso Times.

The war between the Sinaloa and Juárez drug cartels that began in January 2008 sparked an unprecedented wave of murder, including daytime street shootings, mutilations and massacres.

By comparison, the number of deaths in Juárez surpasses the 4,393 members of the U.S. military who have died in the Iraq war since 2003.

The killings in Juárez have been unrelenting.

On Saturday night, gunmen burst into a funeral vigil for a slain teenager and opened fire, killing three women and wounding 10 others at a house in the Independencia 2 colonia in the southern part of Juárez.

Chihuahua state police said the shooters fired 44 rounds. Police identified the dead as Maria del Carmen Rangel Chacon, 65, Sara Orosco Rangel, 46, and Ernestina Rubio Martinez, who was 55 to 60 years old.

Juárez was still reeling from the brazen ambush of a police patrol that killed six federal officers, a city policewoman and another man on Friday afternoon on a busy street.

Officials said Juárez police are on "red alert," and patrols would now be done in squads of three or four vehicles in an attempt to deter further attacks.

La Linea, or Juárez drug cartel, took credit for the deadly ambush according to a message spray-painted on a wall. The message accused federal police of working for drug lord Joaquin "Chapo" Guzman's rival Sinaloa cartel.

The Associated Press recently reported the Sinaloa cartel was believed to be winning the turf war against La Linea, which in a graffiti message denied it had lost control of the "plaza" or territory.
make that 5009-

8 men killed at bar near Downtown Juárez

Quote:
Seven of the eight victims killed in this morning's massacre at a bar near Downtown Juárez were young men under 25, Chihuahua state police said.

At least four of them appear to be teenagers, officials said.

None of the victims have been identified.

Police arrived at the bar Aristos about 4:30 a.m. and found the eight bodies in the parking lot. They were all shot in the head.

Juarez Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz said the bar closed about 2 a.m.,

MEXICO IN FOCUS
Analysis on news out of Mexico

and the eight victims had been outside the bar when the shooting happened.
The bar is located near the crossing of the streets Vicente Guerrero and Honduras, in an area where attacks of that magnitude are rare.

Police found 12 bullets and a 1990 Chevrolet Blazer,
12 bullets, 8 bodies. sounds like execution style in the street.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez/ci...614?source=pkg

9 killed at Juárez mall parking lot, market, home

Quote:
Shootings in the parking lot of a mall and outside a supermarket claimed the lives of four men Tuesday in Juárez, and five men were shot and killed in an attack at a home on Monday.

Gunmen fired 16 rounds in an attack at 2:45 p.m. in which three men were killed outside the Smart supermarket on Boulevard Zaragoza and Durango street, said Vladimir Tuexi, spokesman for the Chihuahua state attorney general's office.

A 17-year-old boy was also shot and wounded and taken to a hospital. The slain men had not been identified, but authorities said they appeared to be between 18 and 30 years old. Two of the victims died in the driver and passenger seats of a car.

Around 5 p.m., a man, identified as Marín Orosco, 36, was shot and killed in the parking lot of Plaza Juárez mall on Avenida Tecnológico, officials said.

The shootings were among more than a dozen murders within 24 hours in Mexico's most violent city.

State police on Tuesday identified five men killed in a shooting at a house on Monday night in colonia Infonavit Casas Grandes.

Heavily armed gunmen fired 45 shots at the home, killing three men inside a garage.

One man died while being driven in a truck to a hospital. Another man died at a hospital. One person was wounded and hospitalized.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #27
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

I've been in el paso now for about 3 months off and on. And it seems like almost every night this stuff makes the news. I have a translator that works for me here, and she's constantly getting phone calls from her family in Juarez about this. It really is like a war zone over there.

Strange, because I read somewhere that el paso is the second safest city in America.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #28
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
I've been in el paso now for about 3 months off and on. And it seems like almost every night this stuff makes the news. I have a translator that works for me here, and she's constantly getting phone calls from her family in Juarez about this. It really is like a war zone over there.

Strange, because I read somewhere that el paso is the second safest city in America.
Umm... did you read that in The Onion?

God bless the Drug War. God bless this rocket house and all those who reside within this rocket house.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #29
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Umm... did you read that in The Onion?
NO.

http://www.ktsm.com/news/el-paso-second-safest-city
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #30
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post

i posted some stats (from 2008, i believe) that they had only 22 murders for the year. for a city that size it was the 2nd lowest in the nation.

you may have read how phoenix is the kidnapping capitol of america. for all of the drugs that pass through tijuana and el paso (and the smaller boarder crossings in between) phoenix is the main distribution hub to the rest of america.

it seems to be that a ton of murders in el paso and juarez would be bad for everyone involved, whereas ransom kidnappings in the hub are much more profitable.

thats some pretty organized shit going on.

but atleast theyre sending in the drones...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/sta...age=1#storytop

Quote:
WASHINGTON — An unarmed reconnaissance drone soon will fly over Texas as drug violence continues to escalate on the U.S.-Mexico border, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told a Senate hearing Tuesday.
Texas is the last border state to receive a Predator drone, and Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said that has hurt the intelligence capabilities of federal, state and local law enforcement.

“I'm concerned that some of the assets that could be deployed to help not only quell the violence but also keep our borders secure, are not being deployed because of unnecessary foot-dragging,” Cornyn said.

Napolitano said Texas was the last Southwest border state to receive a drone because its “airspace is more crowded.”

She said the timeline for placing a drone in Texas, which tentatively would be stored in Corpus Christi, remains a decision for the Federal Aviation Administration.

“The FAA now has to go in and carve out, as I understand it, space for the Predator,” she said.
seeing an ariel view of juarez from a plane taking off is a sight to behold. you could never imagine how so many run down yellow school buses are used as homes. (all the cardboard shacks dont stand out as well from the air).