Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Missing run game already a worry to Pittsburgh Steelers

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...WaOUZ_AaatZe6Q
Missing run game already a worry to Pittsburgh Steelers

By Alan Robinson (CP) 2 hours ago

PITTSBURGH With no game to play, Willie Parker spent Sunday watching the rest of the NFL's running backs. He saw Adrian Peterson pile up 180 yards, Mike Bell go for 143, Julius Jones run for 117.

The more yards Parker saw, the madder he got.

Soon after arriving at the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice complex on Monday, Parker and the offensive linemen sat down and asked themselves why they didn't run the ball like that against the Tennessee Titans.

"I had a long talk with our offensive line and I let them know I really cared about them and we really got this show back on the road," said Parker, who had 19 yards on 13 carries. "We've got to be the talk of the town."

The Steelers' 36 yards on 23 carries in their 13-10 overtime victory on Thursday were the fewest they've had in an opener since Baltimore limited them to 30 yards on 18 carries in 2000, when the Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl.

The difference now is the Steelers are the reigning Super Bowl winners, and not being able to run the ball is a big deal to them.

Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, the Steelers have outrushed every other team in the league by more than 5,000 yards.
In 601 games, the Steelers have rushed for 83,943 yards, an average of 139.7 per game. The Cowboys are second with 78,896 yards, or 131.3 per game.

Thirty-six yards? To Parker, who averaged 131 yards in his four previous opening day starts, that's a usually a nice run in the second quarter. Rashard Mendenhall, last year's first-round draft pick, had 6 yards on four carries.

The Steelers got off to a bad start offensively, managing only one yard in the first quarter, but they began moving the ball when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger loosened up and started finding Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward downfield. Holmes finished with 131 yards receiving and Ward had 103 as the Steelers passed for 321 yards.

The running game never got out of neutral, and left tackle Max Starks thinks he knows why. Forced to continually adjust to the Titans' 4-3 defence, the line repeatedly changed its blocking scheme at the line of scrimmage while Roethlisberger was in his cadence, according to Starks.

The problem was one lineman read the pressure as coming from a certain defensive player, while another lineman expected it from someone else. Sometimes, that left two defenders with free passage to the backfield on the same play, Starks said.

"It has to get better,"
Starks said. "I think we've all got to get on the same page, and I think that was kind of the issue."

Tight end Heath Miller's blocking is a key to the running game, and he said the ineffectiveness can be blamed on more than going against what was the NFL's sixth-best rushing defence last season.

"We're going to have to fix our mistakes and get better from it," Miller said. "You're not going to go through a year and win football games if you can't run the football, that's proven year after year. We've got to get it going."

With the Bears (0-1) up next Sunday in Chicago - where the Steelers are 1-11 - the offence knows this isn't the time to be patient and wait for the running game to settle in. Coach Mike Tomlin and offensive co-ordinator Bruce Arians didn't hesitate to mention it on Monday, either.

"We definitely got coached up," Parker said. "We've got to bring it to the table this week."

Another reason for the Steelers to run the ball better: Historically, they have had some of their worst seasons when the running game was slow to develop early in the season. They were next to last in rushing while going 6-10 in 2003, only a year after they were No. 9 in rushing.

"Let's see if we can rectify our running game so it doesn't get to that point," Ward said. "We'll continue to try to run first and set up the passing game through the running game. That's the sign of a great offence. ... Even though we didn't run the ball, which we will rectify, it was encouraging that a lot of guys made plays in the passing game."

Copyright 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

(This idea of pass first or five wide is bullcrap! Either we run the damn ball or we will not repeat as super bowl champions. It's that simple. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199
Default Re: Missing run game already a worry to Pittsburgh Steelers

The running game never got out of neutral, and left tackle Max Starks thinks he knows why. Forced to continually adjust to the Titans' 4-3 defence, the line repeatedly changed its blocking scheme at the line of scrimmage while Roethlisberger was in his cadence, according to Starks.

Why are they changing schemes while Ben is in his cadence? Scheme from Arians? Coaching by Zierlien? Or just thats what everyone does (seemingly better than us right now)? Seriously, educate me, because I think everyone is at fault.

The problem was one lineman read the pressure as coming from a certain defensive player, while another lineman expected it from someone else. Sometimes, that left two defenders with free passage to the backfield on the same play, Starks said.

C'mon.

"It has to get better," Starks said. "I think we've all got to get on the same page, and I think that was kind of the issue."

No shit.

No one is blameless in that mess. Just hope it can be cleared up sooner rather than later.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
The problem was one lineman read the pressure as coming from a certain defensive player, while another lineman expected it from someone else. Sometimes, that left two defenders with free passage to the backfield on the same play, Starks said
sounds like poor football IQ or an O-line coach who can't teach his scheme. i think it's a combo
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i think it's just poor talent and not much else.. they haven't "figured out" the blocking scheme for a few years now.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Don't forget... one of the MAJOR changes that happened was Ben began calling the blocking schemes instead of the line. That means the line has to adjust to Ben and then adjust to what they see. However, they were almost all taught the opposite by Grimm.

So in essence, this is a foundational change for them. I just don't like the fact it is taking three years for it to sink in.

And sorry Mesa, I disagree. Pass first offenses have just as much opportunity to win games as run first offenses now. The game and its rules have changed to make that a reality.

What we CANT have is a one-dimensional offense. We couldn't win with that in teh Cowher era (thank goodness he broke out of it in 2005) and we won't win with that now. We need two dimensions.

However, this is the first game. We got time to fix it.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
steelrush
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14589

Yes, we do need two-dimensional game. But right now we're kindda one-dimensional 'cose our running game is going nowhere (unless Willie finds a hole big enough for an 18-wheeler to fit through and using his speed to gain yardage).
We need a power runner like Bettis or Fred Taylor type.
At 209 lb, both Parker and Mewelde are too light. Mendenhall is 225 (three lbs under Taylor) but he needs a lot of work with his routes. And with the help our O-line provides for the moment, those routes will continually get stuffed especially when facing rush-defences like Titans'!
steelrush is offline   Reply With Quote