Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
T Bradshaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12013
Default Bettis' thoughts about our OL and running backs

The Bus writes for S.I. now. Here is a link to what he says about the Steelers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what he wrote about the Steelers:

Quote:
2. Steelers' Super Bowl hopes took a big blow in Week 1. On Thursday night the Steelers went from being a great defense to merely a good defense in just one play against the Titans. You simply can't replace a player like Troy Polamalu, and we all saw the Steelers give up some big plays right away after he left with a knee injury. When he's healthy, Troy's all over the field. Before he left that game it seemed his name was being called every play: Troy on a tackle, Troy on an interception, Troy with a penalty. Whatever happened, he was involved. But without him in the game, the field becomes a lot bigger and more exposed.

People will say, "Well, they still have James Harrison and Casey Hampton and so on..." Irrelevant. Troy's really the only guy on this defense that I see as a full playmaker. Sure, James Harrison gets after the QB. But Troy is all over the field. He can change the outcome of a game in one play. Without him, this becomes a good defense with a very ordinary secondary.

Now, here's what worries me: I've had an MCL injury and the thing it affects the most is the lateral movement. Sure, you can run straight lines. But when you have to go left and right it becomes a problem. If you've ever watched Troy, you know he's so unpredictable in how he moves -- all over the place. An MCL could be a bigger problem for a guy who moves like that. I expect to see him out on the longer side of the projected three to six weeks. If it goes longer, could they win another Super Bowl without him? I don't think so.

3. One more reason Pittsburgh's in trouble: these Steelers are a mediocre running team on their best day. I don't think they've reached a panic situation quite yet because the Titans don't allow anyone to run the football on them. But there are serious problems.

Willie Parker: I haven't seen much from him. Rashard Mendenhall: I haven't really seen him, period. One thing I have seen is Mewelde Moore making plays. And I think the little guy's going to get more of those opportunities as the Steelers continue to grow into what I think will be more of a passing team in 2009.

The running back I like least on that team is Frank Summers, the rookie fullback. He doesn't seem to understand what's going on. He's missing plenty of blocks, and that's affecting everything. That definitely has to be addressed off the field this week.

The bigger problem, though, is the offensive line. They have no continuity. On top of not being able to protect Ben Roethlisberger, they're letting running backs get hit before they reach the line of scrimmage. There's not a lot any back can do in that situation.

This problem isn't anything new, and I blame the coaching staff for not addressing the line in the offseason. How did they rationalize not doing anything about it? Well, they won a Super Bowl. They won't be so lucky twice in a row. If Ben continues to get hit the way he did Thursday -- the same way he did last year, then this will come back to haunt the Steelers. Ben will get hurt. Ben will miss games. And they don't have a line to run behind without Ben. Pittsburgh can't repeat with the line playing like this.
T Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609
Default Re: BEttis thought about our OL and running backs

Wow...

As much as I love Bettis, I'm not inclined to predict doom after one game.

Tennessee IS a great run-stopping defense. They illustrated it many times of how they were filling the gaps and holes. It was a pretty thing to watch (as a defense-minded football fan, not a steeler fan)

Bottom line...we got the win. It was ugly, but we are 1-0, and the Titans are 0-1.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

OK, I've just about had my fill of all of these negative articles. All of this after ONE FREAKING GAME that they WON! I mean, it's friggin Tuesday for crying out loud, and we're STILL hearing about this. The game was FIVE DAYS AGO! Will someone please tell these guys to move on already, rather than write the same regurgitated crap every day?

And I can't WAIT until the D proves all of these doubting Thomases wrong, thinking they're going to collapse without Troy in the lineup. They have too much talent, and they have a genius calling the shots. They'll be fine, so please...have some faith!

(Not ranting at you, T)

EDIT: If I were the Titans' D, I'd be pretty pissed about all of this too, because they are being given absolutely no credit for how good they really are. It's all about what the Steelers didn't do. If the shoe was on the other foot, Steelers fans would be up in arms.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
OK, I've just about had my fill of all of these negative articles. All of this after ONE FREAKING GAME that they WON! I mean, it's friggin Tuesday for crying out loud, and we're STILL hearing about this. The game was FIVE DAYS AGO! Will someone please tell these guys to move on already, rather than write the same regurgitated crap every day?

And I can't WAIT until the D proves all of these doubting Thomases wrong, thinking they're going to collapse without Troy in the lineup. They have too much talent, and they have a genius calling the shots. They'll be fine, so please...have some faith!

(Not ranting at you, T)

EDIT: If I were the Titans' D, I'd be pretty pissed about all of this too, because they are being given absolutely no credit for how good they really are. It's all about what the Steelers didn't do. If the shoe was on the other foot, Steelers fans would be up in arms.
I agree X-Terminator it is time to build a bridge and get over it. we need to be looking ahead to the next game.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Bettis' thoughts about our OL and running backs

Quote:
Steelers' Super Bowl hopes took a big blow in Week 1. On Thursday night the Steelers went from being a great defense to merely a good defense in just one play against the Titans. You simply can't replace a player like Troy Polamalu, and we all saw the Steelers give up some big plays right away after he left with a knee injury.
And it was quite obvious they were visibly shaken by Troy's injury right after it happened. But just ignore the fact that they did settle down and allowed all of 3 points the entire 2nd half.

Quote:
People will say, "Well, they still have James Harrison and Casey Hampton and so on..." Irrelevant. Troy's really the only guy on this defense that I see as a full playmaker.
So, the DPOY last year is irrelevant, and isn't a "full playmaker?"

Look Jerome, I know you're consciously trying not to look like a homer here, but come on.

It's going to be so sweet when all the naysayers are proven wrong. Again.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

It could be that the only thing Jerome knows about a defense is how to run over them.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

How DARE Bettis criticize the Oline! Doesn't he know they won a SB with that line??!!!
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
steelrush
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14589

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen;
How DARE Bettis criticize the Oline! Doesn't he know they won a SB with that line??!!!

Whoa!
How does he dare? A "little" jumpy there, don't you think?
Anyway, he's merely pointing out a fact that is too visible. Or what? Would you rather have that nobody points negative facts out?
Yes, we've won a SB with that line. But I would rather say: we've won a SB with Ben. I wonder what it'll be said if this OL continues like it does and Ben goes down hurt with a season-ending injury?

Let's face it: we do have problems with our OL. But I like to believe that we're witnessing a OL in a building-up process. At one point this line will come...on line.
The lack of a progressive and relible running-game is what's worrying me the most...
steelrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrush View Post
Whoa!
How does he dare? A "little" jumpy there, don't you think?
lol, he was obviously being sarcastic
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528

Oh no! We couldn't run the ball effectively against one of the better defenses in the NFL! OMG!!! WE'RE TERRIBLE!

But seriously, this negativity needs to friggin' stop.
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote