Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default NFL Power Rankings for Week 2 Favor Pittsburgh Steelers

NFL Power Rankings for Week 2 Favor Pittsburgh Steelers
September 15, 2009 by
Ryan Christopher DeVault
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ge=true&cat=14

The Defending Super Bowl Champions Are at the Top of Quite a Few Power Lists
NFL power rankings for week two are already flooding in. The 2009 NFL power rankings for week two seem to really favor the Pittsburgh Steelers as fans are getting their first glimpses of teams. It is also a well deserved slot for these Pittsburgh Steelers as they are the defending Super Bowl champions from last season. I watched quite a bit of the opening Thursday night game, and these Steelers look like they are for real once again. With Ben Roethlisberger at the helm, they seem to be the team to beat, and though the offense didn't look as great as it could, that could be explained by the Tennessee Titans defense that they had to face. I look for the Steelers to really come out with the scoring offense next week.

After the Steelers at the #1 spot in the week two NFL power rankings, things get a bit murkier, with many people liking how the New England Patriots, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles performed in their opening week performances. Let's be frank here for a minute though, because the Patriots really got lucky in their Monday night game against the Buffalo Bills. That fumbled kick-off return by the Bills with only two minutes to go in the game opened the door for their come-back in the waning seconds, and without it, the Patriots would be zero and one. A bit of credit has to go to the coach for the play call though, because the Patriots kicked it deep rather than going for the onside kick.

The Eagles looked good as well, but with Donovan McNabb out for at least a week with his injured rib(s) this could quickly become Michael Vick's team. They have to wait a bit though, as Vick is still suspended and won't be able to quarterback the team in week two. The best surprise that is being noticed in many different power rankings are the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks were terrible last season, but that could be rationalized due to injuries, and after a week one shut out of the admittedly bad Rams, the Seahawks are back on the radar. Likewise the Chargers are looking better as well, despite barely getting out of Oakland with their Monday night win.

The best teams in football right now are the Steelers, Giants, Colts, Vikings, and Saints. The worst teams (by far) are the Rams, Lions, Chiefs, Browns, and Bengals. It's going to really be an interesting season to see if the power rankings soon reflect which teams are at the top of their games now, or whether they will hit their strides later on in the season. A couple of things look very apparent already, and that is that Matt Stafford has a long season ahead of him, the Rams will be drafting high in the 2010 NFL Draft, and the Broncos can't keep getting lucky forever.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: NFL Power Rankings for Week 2 Favor Pittsburgh Steelers

Great props to our Steelers! It's nice to see a media source say something positive about our guys.

Quote:
Let's be frank here for a minute though, because the Patriots really got lucky in their Monday night game against the Buffalo Bills. That fumbled kick-off return by the Bills with only two minutes to go in the game opened the door for their come-back in the waning seconds, and without it, the Patriots would be zero and one. A bit of credit has to go to the coach for the play call though, because the Patriots kicked it deep rather than going for the onside kick.
BOO YAH!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

im ready for the bears, lets take the nfl out!!!!
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Lets stay on top of the rankings and kick some Bears ass!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Well deserved, means nothing but still, well deserved. I'm sure that the media outlets are just itching to put the Patriots in the top spot. I'm sure that they will just as soon as the Patriots whip up on some bum A$$ team like the Rams.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I was so po'ed when the moron ran that ball out of the end zone and fumbled it against New England. How stupid can you get? That game was all but in the bag if they take it at the 20. I get so mad that other teams stupid mistakes always bail the Patsies out and Tom Brady gets all the credit. He absolutely sucked in the first half of that game. But all we hear is knob slobbering on Brady's big comeback win. It is sickening.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

I think unless we have a blowout against the bears, if we and the patriots* get a win, they're jumping us in the power rankings.

That's why I pay no attention to the power rankings. It's fun to read sometimes, but it's just entertainment. It's the writers giving people something to read and talk about.

My power rankings come from the wins/losses only....

Oh, and from Superbowls too....6>3.....F U Patriots*
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:38 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,513 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Way to go Steelers. I would love to stay on top of these standings the whole year. Lets move on to the Bears next week and show them a thing or two.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
Kal
Water Boy

Member Number: 14531

The Steelers defence is still elite, but the need to sort out that running game is the only thing that is stopping me putting any money on them retaining the SuperBowl. Over the coming weeks it will be interesting to see if they get more in sync offensively and aren't so reliant on Ben.

I don't think anyone can argue with the the defending SuperBowl champs being number one after they beat a very good Tennessee team.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

I saw this on NFL Network the other night.

Steelers were #1 (and they should be)

Cheatriots were #2 (WHAT?!)
Titties were #10 (Also crazy)

From the games/highlights I saw this week, the Titties and Cheatriots should be switched

Just my 2 cents...