Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503
Default Willie Parker's enigma

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...st_published=1

Main Entry: enig·ma
Pronunciation: \i-ˈnig-mə, e-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin aenigma, from Greek ainigmat-, ainigma, from ainissesthai to speak in riddles, from ainos fable
Date: 1539
1 : an obscure speech or writing
2 : something hard to understand or explain
3 : an inscrutable or mysterious person

Fast Willie Parker doesn't appear to be playing with as much heart as he is "talking up" with every chance he is provided.

Here's my contention about Fast Willie Parker ....

He is playing in the final year of his contract.

He is an NFL running back.

NFL running backs don't like to play and risk major injury without a guaranteed contract.

Parker has stated publically (and was earnestly "STFU'd" by Coach Tomlin) his less than enamored feelings about the changes within the Steelers rushing system as recently as mid-season last year.

Just a few days ago, Coach Tomlin publically endorsed Parker as his 300+ carries guy this season.

The Steelers drafted a 1st round running back and paid that guy on par with Parker, without that guy even having ever taken an NFL carry.

And then a few points I'd like to make about Jerome Bettis, who has been more than minimally critical of the Steelers poor o-line play and poor running back play these past two seasons ...

Willie Parker has a huge attachment to the "Bus". Parker admires Jerome more than any other player he has played with or against in the NFL. It was Jerome that brought Willie Parker under his wing. It was Jerome who taught Parker how to prepare mentally and physically to be an NFL gameday RB.

That said, when Jerome is publically busting on the Steelers, as he has twice in his short NFL analyst career now, could it be Willie Parker who is taking that message to heart the most out of any Steelers holdovers from the Jerome Bettis years? There is a discernable influence Jerome Bettis still has upon Willie Parker.

I stated something to this effect last season on a Steelers message board that I frequent.

Do you think Jerome and Parker aren't texting to this day?

Do you think Jerome maybe could be influencing Parker's thoughts regarding the system changes in Pittsburgh and how negatively those changes are impacting Parker's stats and career?

And then the Steelers draft a running back in Round 1 last year who is paid on par with Parker ... ????

If this is Parker's last year in Pittsburgh, is he really going to "put out" and risk major injury when he has absolutely no long-term deal in place ... ???

Does Parker really want 300 carries this year, and the wear and tear that come along with it, like Coach Tomlin insinuated in the media last week?

My guess is that Bettis is very possibly playing the "Grima Wormtongue" to the conscience of Willie Parker and is influencing Parker's next move out of Pittsburgh in subtle ways that are "poisoning" Parker's desire to be the best he can be.

Bettis is extremely experienced at career-type performance issues ... he played the cards at the table of his career moves quite methodically in fact ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07234/811164-13.stm

Bettis went through a certain lag in performance during the Amos Zereoue years shortly after the Richard Huntley incident, when Zereoue started 11 games between 2002 and 2003. He was essentially outplayed by both Zereoue and Huntley over a 4 year mid-career stretch.

Is the Jerome Bettis we all "think" we know, as Steelers fans, the one-and-the-same Jerome Bettis who used chicanery throughout his entire Steelers experience to win at the game of NFL existence ... ?

And if that Jerome Bettis is influencing the day-to-day grind of Fast Willie Parker ... are we really seeing the Fast Willie Parker we ought to be seeing ... ???
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
T Bradshaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12013
Default Re: Willie Parker's enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...st_published=1

Fast Willie Parker doesn't appear to be playing with as much heart as he is "talking up" with every chance he is provided.

Here's my contention about Fast Willie Parker ....
I dont blame FWP, what can he do when there is no blocking?
No RB can do it
T Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
If this is Parker's last year in Pittsburgh, is he really going to "put out" and risk major injury when he has absolutely no long-term deal in place ... ???
Yes. Because unless your last name is Moss or Owens, if you don't play all-out, not only is your next contract not going to be a big one, there's a good chance you'll be out of football entirely. In the NFL, careers fade out faster than you can say "rocks and blocks." If you're like Parker, name recognition alone definitely doesn't guarantee you anything next year, so I don't buy it that he'd be half-assing it.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
onefortheotherhand
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13520

i loled at the title and loled again when you said the bus was Grima Wormtounge
Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
The Lakelander
Starter

For the record, I have no issues with anybody disagreeing with the angles of my articles. I appreciate criticism on my writings as much as I appreciate compliments.

If it inspires the reader's passion in one direction or another ... I feel I've done my job to bring a matter forward and provoke strong thoughts on matters.

I write "opinion only" articles to purposely provoke thought and controversy on issues I perceive ... whether that thought is agreeable to the reader or someone prefers to utterly slam the matter to the canvas.

I'm not an insider, and don't pretend to be, so nothing I write is verifiable.

I do it as a hobby to strengthen my written communication skills and because I enjoy the discourse that writing opens up.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Jerome can say whatever he wants........He carried the Steeler's O for 10 years before Ben got there............He is going to the Hall of Fame in 2 years............Willie just thinks he is better than he is..........That makes him not be the best he can be........You always gotta try to be better......Ask Jerry Rice........Have an open Mind Willie and quit getting so mad all the time.....That is for the linbackers......You gotta be positive brother.......
Old 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
The Lakelander
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Jerome can say whatever he wants........He carried the Steeler's O for 10 years before Ben got there............He is going to the Hall of Fame in 2 years............Willie just thinks he is better than he is..........That makes him not be the best he can be........You always gotta try to be better......Ask Jerry Rice........Have an open Mind Willie and quit getting so mad all the time.....That is for the linbackers......You gotta be positive brother.......

I saw Bettis as a factor and a hinderance all rolled up in one. He ran tough and was a perfect fit from the standpoint of physicality.

But I saw him get caught from behind many times as he ran through gaping holes in the line of scrimmage into daylight.

I was spoiled by Barry Foster's 1992 season ... it showed me what a RB with break-away open field speed could do behind the Steelers strong O-lines of the 90's.

I was hoping we could find a Foster clone after he walked away prematurely.

Parker, to me, fit that bill and when he actually hits it up in there and breaks through it's a thing of beauty.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Just my perspective - but I dont think anyone intentionally plays soft to avoid major injury for future financial benefit. They may think about it but once you put your game face on and step onto the playing field its game on 100%.

Anyone who plays anykind of football has ego and a thirst to be involved with the play as much as possible. Footballers, of any code, think they are going to produce the perfect play each and everytime they are involved.

I would think that FWP is giving 100% on every play and upon self reflection would expect that he could have done even better on each of those plays.

Quote:
To challenge someone with the claim of not playing with as much heart is nearly the ultimate slap in the face. How do you measure heart and how does a player defend this claim. The more he defends it, the more it looks like he is justifying the accusers claims.

I appreciate your writing style Lakelander. The purpose of these forums is to create discussion and I think you do a good job of that with your style.

NB: Interesting I have never thought of comparing FWP with Barry Foster. I can see some similarities but not totally. Barry had a little bit more of a physical presence than FWP. In hindsight the 1990 draft was one that was loaded with first round RB's and to find Barry Foster and Brian Mitchell in the 5th within 3 picks was rare. ( the rams pick in round 11 was also an interesting one for different reasons)
Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Boomerang
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7503

The O line is not helping the running game at the moment and that is not helping Willies prospects.

"Don't doubt me, because that's when I get stronger.. ..Marvin Hagler
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

I have full faith that if Parker is not giving the maximum effort for every play, Tomlin would get his butt out of the game and get him in line.