Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Thou shalt not run in the NFL

Thou shalt not run in the NFL
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09259/998258-150.stm

Tom Brady whipped 53 passes Monday night, one for each calendar week elapsed since his last pass of consequence, so it appears the New England Patriots did not have their franchise quarterback on anything approaching a rigid pitch count.

Not hardly.

Brady threw 53 times, Joe Flacco threw 43 times the day before, and Ben Roethlisberger threw 43 times three days before that.

But here's the shock value, at least to me: they all won.

The Patriots hurried back to clip the Buffalo Bills, the Baltimore Ravens held off the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Steelers toppled the Tennessee Titans in overtime, all with quarterbacks winging balls at moving targets as feverishly as a love-struck teen trying to win Jolene a kewpie doll on the last day of the Fayette County Fair.

Or something.

Used to be axiomatic in this game that the more you threw it, the more you often had to, and the more likely you were to get beat. That's real Old Testament stuff now.

More in line with ancient theocracy, David Garrard threw just 29 passes on Kickoff Weekend, Jason Campbell threw 26, Trent Edwards 25, Brodie Croyle 24 and Brett Favre 21. Those used to be winning numbers. All except Favre were losers.

Summed up, winning quarterbacks threw more than losing quarterbacks in Week 1 of this NFL season, partly because of the game's ever-accelerating offensive evolution and partly because of something that has gotten lost in the excessive fretting over the Steelers' desultory running game -- running the ball in this 21st-century NFL is, um, hard.

"I believe, particularly in September football, people make a commitment to stopping the run," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday in the first regular session of Tuesdays with Tomlin. "And it's easier to make the commitment in September when everybody feels good and you've got all the horses in the stable. I think over the course of the long haul, you see who's good at it week in and week out, but it's usually tough sledding early in the football season; that's been my experience.

"That was my intent when I was a defensive play-caller, that in order to be a good defense it starts there -- making people one dimensional, making people struggle if they're committed to running the ball."

Steelers purists wonder aloud, real loud, whether the Steelers have any such commitment, and I say they do, but it is not a commitment to run for running's sake. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians handed the ball to his own skittish stable of running backs 22 times in the prime-time opener, and, if that is not your idea of commitment, I would only say it is hard to stay committed to incompetence.

Of those 22 plays, 17 were gains of 3 yards or less (or as I like to call 'em: plays that don't work), and seven gained no yards or resulted in lost yardage.

That's fairly terrible, but what it is not is unpredictable. No one figured to find open lawn by the acre in any event involving the Titans, who beat these same Steelers handily only last December. What's more, there is not a lot of running room anywhere in this NFL.

The number of 100 plus-yard rushing performances came in at a stagnant five on the league's first weekend, with only Super Vike Adrian Peterson's 180 and the 143 carved out by New Orleans' Mike Bell posing as outstanding performances, and even those came against Cleveland and Detroit, both well-used thruways.

Only seven NFL running backs gained as much as 80 yards in Week 1.

None of this will taste like solace to the frantics who were wounded to the black-and-gold core that the Steelers gained eight times as many yards through the air as on the ground against Tennessee, nor will the fact that the Chicago Bears, who will play host to Tomlin's team Sunday, use the same kind of upfield 4-3 Tennessee brought to Pittsburgh last week.

"That [the relative unfamiliarity with the 4-3] was a factor, but I'm not going to allow it to become an excuse," Tomlin said. "We have to execute. We've got to get better in that area as a football team for one reason and one reason only, that it increases our chances of winning. That's what we're about, putting ourselves in position to win. We acknowledge that if we continue along those lines from a run-game standpoint that that doesn't help us."

In other words, you can't average 54 inches per rush attempt and expect to win regularly. That's Old Testament, too, and it still very much applies.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09259...#ixzz0RJCKX5Et
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027
Default Re: Thou shalt not run in the NFL

Meh... it's easy to say that all you need is a passing game when it's still September and the weather is still warm. Come November and December, we're going to need at least a respectable running game to avoid being predictable and to sustain drives.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozMan View Post
Meh... it's easy to say that all you need is a passing game when it's still September and the weather is still warm. Come November and December, we're going to need at least a respectable running game to avoid being predictable and to sustain drives.
Well said.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,866 Posts

funny how no critisizm was laid at the feet of the patriots line or running game. they simply "took what the defense gave them" and let brady do his magic.

steelers do the EXACT same thing against a stiffer defense with a supposed lesser running back corps and they are slammed for having a weak o-line and shitty run game.

things that make you go hmmmm....
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

If the Steelers are going to pass then pass away. I trust Roethlisberger 100%. But as someone has already mentioned, when the weather gets bad they're going to need some type of run game.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Trends come and go in the NFL, defenses playing dishonest against the run is one of them. This trend will end when teams that relied on the run in the past find success through the air.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
funny how no critisizm was laid at the feet of the patriots line or running game. they simply "took what the defense gave them" and let brady do his magic.

steelers do the EXACT same thing against a stiffer defense with a supposed lesser running back corps and they are slammed for having a weak o-line and shitty run game.

HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THE HOLIER THAN THOU PATRIOTS*! According to new NFL policies, they will now receive another first round pick immediately following their first pick in the first round. If it continues, Commissioner Goodell will then reward them with all 31 other team's picks!

Don't you know Belicheat is the best at changing game plans and that's how they won!?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,144 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

All I know is if the opposing defense is stacked to stop the running game the throw the ball then throw it some more. Throw the ball until that defense backs up and starts playing the pass. Then start mixing in the run to keep the defense honest. Its called using the pass to set up the run.

If an opposing defense comes in wanting to shout down your passing game you run the ball until the defense comes up to stop the run. Then you mix some passes in to keep the defense honest. Its called using the run to set up the pass.

Over the course of a season you'll come out as a balanced offense.

Alway wondered teams would use the RBs to run into a brick wall play after play when it would be easier to throw the ball over that brick wall.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

They failed to mention that all these teams that threw so much are DOOOMED! Oh, and they all have shitty OC's, too...
Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Great point! But of course we all know that Brady and the Pats can do no wrong in the NFL
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote