Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default steelers fan in stainsland

http://www.wkyc.com/sports/sports_ar...121348&catid=4

For decades, only a few bold Steeler fans would openly wear team jerseys on the streets of Cleveland or in the sports bars. Those days are over!

As the NFL season opens in Pittsburgh on national television, the NBC cameras show thousands of Steeler nation fans waving yellow "terrible" towels.

In Cleveland tonight, hundreds of fans wearing black and gold showed up at sports bars across town. They don't worry about hiding their true colors anymore even in the heart of Browns town.

Eddie Allman, the owner of Harpo's Sports Bar said, "they flaunt it now, especially because they have the rings."

A nearby section of the bar is crowded with loud fans cheering for the Steelers. Stephanie Alfer proudly wore here favorite Pittsburgh jersey and said, "it's actually pretty funny because I've met more Pittsburgh fans than Cleveland fans here. And I see more Steeler stuff everywhere. It's really weird."

Frank Boehm sat at the end of the table near the big television monitor showing the game and said, "most of the time I come in here and there are Steeler fans everywhere. I love coming into this place because it's like being back home in Pittsburgh."

Over at the Blue Moose bar in Parma the scene was the same with Steeler jerseys everywhere. Owner Pat Potopsky received death threats by phone back in 2005 when he jokingly advertised that his bar was the best place in the Cleveland area for Steelers fans to watch the playoff games.

Interestingly, the big chain stores like Target and Walmart don't even stock Steeler gear in downtown Cleveland.

In the Steelyard Commons, Target manager Patrick Friery said, "this is Cleveland Browns territory so we only carry Cleveland Browns stuff."

"We can get our gear plenty of other places," said Steelers fan Sarah Buzzatto. She added, "I get a lot of crap from my friends definitely, but I don't care. Hey, we have 6 super bowl trophies. What about you Browns fans, no?"

Harpo's owner said the rival fans usually coexist peacefully during the season. "They insult each other, but the fights only start when you insult the guy's girlfriend."

i think it is funny

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: steelers fan in stainsland

First off, they make it sound like there weren't always a bazzilion Steelers fans in and around Cleveland: There ALWAYS have been...only a few of my friends were Browns fans growing up, and most were Steelers or Cowboys fans. You didn't really even SEE a bunch of Browns fans around here until they started winning in the 80's...

Plus (and they'll NEVER admit this), about half to 2/3rds Browns fans converted to Steelers fans when Art took the team to Baltimore...probably half of them came back with the Browns (and I bet one or two claiming to be "lifelong fans" who post here were temporary converts, again, they'll never admit as much though), but they lost a lot of fans along the way.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,067 Times in 1,296 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It goes to show you that the team support is growing naition wide. Everywhere you go you will see someone wearing something with Steelers on it. I am very proud to be a Steeler fan.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Plus (and they'll NEVER admit this), about half to 2/3rds Browns fans converted to Steelers fans when Art took the team to Baltimore...probably half of them came back with the Browns (and I bet one or two claiming to be "lifelong fans" who post here were temporary converts, again, they'll never admit as much though), but they lost a lot of fans along the way.
Nope, never, sorry.

When the Browns left Cleveland my dad never watched Pro Football until 1999. He stuck to the college game, nascar and Indy Racing. He's said that even since '95, he's been not as big of a pro sports fan due to Modell.

Neither did any of my friends whom grew up waiting until 1999 when the Browns came back. Only one that sort of matches your story is one who followed the Vikings for a bit in the mid-90's, but he was always a Browns fan.

If the Browns ever leave again, you'll see me never watch another pro game again.

Also, those fans in the video are probably the most hated group in Cleveland at the moment in terms of sports videos. Not because of jealousy or anything of that nature. But because they're obnoxious and don't know anything about sports normally. And use excuses like "My cousin's great aunt on his mom's side is a hue Steeler fan". I got no problem with the real Steeler fans that live here, I've had some great conversations with a lot of them. But the Bandwagoners who have this undeserved sense of accomplishment all because the team they just adopted 4 years ago won a title can get bent.