Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time

View From The Press Box

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...nse-full-time/

Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time
September 17th, 2009

The Steelers could run their no-huddle offensive exclusively, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, but don’t because they are, well, the Steelers.

“We still want to maintain some Steelers football,” Arians said.

That presumably means establishing the run, something the Steelers weren’t able to do in a season-opening 13-10 over the Tennessee Titans. Getting the ground game going may not be much easier Sunday in Chicago even though the Bears will be without Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher.

The Bears play the same four-man front that gave the Steelers fits last Thursday. If they are again unable to mount a running game this week, would the Steelers at least consider going to a no-huddle attack, much like the one the Buffalo Bills employed in the early 1990s when quarterback Jim Kelly led them to four consecutive Super Bowls?

It’s not that it couldn’t be done with the growth Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has made in the no-huddle while working closely with Arians in that phase of the game.

“That package has tripled in size now and it’s damn-near the whole offense,” Arians said. “It’s evolved to where (Roethlisberger) can almost use 80 percent of the playbook in it and he’s gotten very proficient in it. We’re not the K-Gun or Jim Kelly but we could be very easily.”

Roethlisberger, Arians added, is not the only one comfortable when the Steelers go to their no-huddle offense.

“A lot of times I’ve had quarterbacks who could play that fast but the other 10 guys couldn’t so you couldn’t use it,” Arians said. “The other 10 guys are playing at the same speed (Roethlisberger) is in the no huddle, which makes it works.”

Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations. But the Steelers weren’t good in that area against the Titans, and Arians said that remains his biggest concern with the offense.

There are no major changes coming in the running game – at least for now.

Willie Parker will start against the Bears. Rashard Mendenhall will play the third series, as he did against the Titans, and spell Parker when the two-time Pro Bowler needs a break.

Mewelde Moore will play running back in the no-huddle offense as well as on third downs.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,522 Posts
Default Re: Steelers could employ no-huddle offense full time

Quote:
Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations. But the Steelers weren’t good in that area against the Titans, and Arians said that remains his biggest concern with the offense.
we are rather efficient in 3rd and long situations.

so is the logic here that it is better to go conventional and be in alot of third and longs as opposed to going no huddle and putting ourselves in a bunch of 3rd and shorts?

the goal of a good running game has always been to average 4 ypc because that means on every three downs running, you hypothetically convert a first down.

however that same theory says you will be in 3rd and 2, a bunch of times. (thats short yardage, people).
Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Arians said the main drawback in running a no-huddle is the lack of efficiency in short-yardage situations.
Well, it's not exactly like we're tearing it up on third-and-short with a regular offense, big guy.

Anyway, I have no problem with them using this 100% of the time if it's what moves the ball. I've got to say it's pretty exciting too.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
stairway27
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14630

I agree with steelreserve. The Bills had no success with no huddle, but they don't have the right QB. I've always said we should go no huddle with ben back there. It seems like that's when he's at his best.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Well, it's not exactly like we're tearing it up on third-and-short with a regular offense, big guy.

Anyway, I have no problem with them using this 100% of the time if it's what moves the ball. I've got to say it's pretty exciting too.
If we can't establish a running game and a near full-time no huddle moves the ball and scores points, then I am all for it.

And yeah, it's exciting.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Well, as soon as we go completely no-huddle on offense and Ben is calling all the shots, we can literally replace Arians with a cardboard cutout, right?

J/k-- I am not an Arians hater-- I just don't like his run plays at all. But...his name IS AIRians.