Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528
Default Big Ben is like clockwork

September 18

Big Ben is like clockwork
Roethlisberger’s ability to rally the Steelers in crunch time is becoming routine.
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — Fourth quarter, team’s down by 4, 75 yards to go, 2:30 to play. Exactly the situation in which games are won and lost, careers are made or ruined, coaches get hired or fired.

Hines Ward, you have two choices to lead your team down the field: Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger. Which quarterback do you choose?

Ward flashes a look that suggests he’s not about to give the politically incorrect answer in a Pittsburgh Steelers locker room where Roethlisberger is standing 50 feet away.

“Uh, Ben, of course,” the Steelers’ leading career receiver said. “Brady’s a great quarterback, but to compare the two? They’re both winners. You can’t really compare Ben’s stats to some other guys .... What he’s done in a short career, the playoffs, AFC championship games, Super Bowl, I love to associate myself and play with a winner all day. ... Some people’s going to like Ben, some people’s going to like Brady. You’re entitled to your opinion. But we love Ben.”

In reality, Ward couldn’t give a wrong answer. When it comes to pulling out victories in games in which their team trails or is tied late, Brady and Roethlisberger are quickly moving up the list of all-time leaders. And each needed only one game this season to do what he does best.

By leading the Steelers back from a 10-7 deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Tennessee 13-10 on Sept. 10, Roethlisberger led his 20th game-winning drive in the fourth quarter or overtime since his rookie season in 2004 — seven since the start of last season. Brady, back from a year off with a major knee injury, threw two touchdown passes in the final 2:06 to rally the Patriots past the Bills 25-24 on Monday for his 29th such victory.

Peyton Manning of the Colts is credited with 37 such victories, the most among active quarterbacks, but the definition of what constitutes such a drive varies from team to team.

Throwing out games that were tied or in which the defense or special teams scored the decisive touchdown, Manning has led 28 comebacks, Brady 21 and Roethlisberger 16, according to a study by pro-football-reference.com. Manning has played three more seasons than Brady, including Brady’s one game season of a year ago, and six more than Roethlisberger,

If Roethlisberger keeps this up, and the Steelers certainly expect him to, he could finish his career being called the king of the comebacks, as John Elway now is. The Broncos credit Elway with 47 victories in 15 seasons when his team was behind or tied in the fourth quarter.

“What do you think about when you think about Elway?” Roethlisberger said. “The Drive (against Cleveland in the 1986 season playoffs) and all the stuff that he’s done.”

To Roethlisberger, it’s about having the same attitude as Michael Jordan in the closing minute of a tight game. It’s all about knowing how to win, and being supremely convinced you are the player who can get it done.

“You have to be confident and you have to want the ball,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s like wanting the ball for a last-second shot, wanting the ball at the end of the game. You know you can do it. When you can’t, it’s not like you get down on yourself, you just get stopped somehow.”

That’s where Roethlisberger finds playing in the NFL no different from his high school days in Findlay, Ohio, or his college quarterbacking career at Miami (Ohio).

Last season, the Steelers played seven games that were decided by 5 points or fewer. They won six, losing only to Manning’s Colts.

“For me, it’s fun,” Roethlisberger said. “It turns back to when you were back in high school or just playing in the back yard and you’re running around making plays. I’ve done the no-huddle and that last-minute, throwing-it-around stuff in high school and college, so it just kind of brings back my childhood.”

No matter how long he plays, Roethlisberger is likely to be best remembered for the 78-yard touchdown drive that ended with his 6-yard touchdown throw to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds remaining to beat Arizona 27-23 in the Super Bowl.

No wonder his teammates were certain Tennessee wouldn’t get the ball back after the Steelers won the coin toss to start overtime last week.

“That’s what he’s best at, I think, and he’s proven it time after time,” tight end Heath Miller said.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians knows it, too, and he essentially allows Roethlisberger to call what he wants in those situations, according to Holmes.

“When we’re in those situations, we’re looking to win,” Holmes said.

http://www.timesleader.com/sports/Bi...9-18-2009.html
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Big Ben is like clockwork

Wow, they actually said Arians lets Ben call what he wants in those situations. Why doesn't he just let him call his plays all the time then? Obviously Ben knows whats best and Arians is afraid to take control and lose his job in the waning moments in games.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

if i were Hines i would have said... " yea ill take Ben. Brady's gaaay"

im such a hater
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Wow, they actually said Arians lets Ben call what he wants in those situations. Why doesn't he just let him call his plays all the time then? Obviously Ben knows whats best and Arians is afraid to take control and lose his job in the waning moments in games.
Dude.....Its just like old nascar.........You got a great mechanic/crew cheif(Arians/Tomlin), who sets up the car......You got a great car(the offense)........And you got Richard petty driving it(Big Ben)...........The mechanic and crew cheif can give suggestions on how to drive, but it is up to the driver to make those decisions as he is driving.........Only one dude can be at the wheel..............

Now tell me, do you know who Richard Petty's mechanic/crew cheif was?

Do you know who Montana's O coordinater was?......

How about Marino's?.........

To get better it is up to Ben's play calling abilities, because this is not what Arians is good at...........He bumbles on the sideline alot.........He is good at being the mechanic.........Which is an integral part...

We all need to know the parts on the team to progress.......

Marino had great play callers with him(Shula, Jimmy Johnson)

Montana did too(Walsh, Holmgren)

Bruce is not a good play caller, he is a great mechanic.........Just so the team is on the same page with who can do what best, the team will win.......

You can't win with a clunker patched together wih a crummy mechanic.......

It has to be a finely tuned and oiled machine........

Bruce is a good mechanic.......

Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Dude.....Its just like old nascar.........You got a great mechanic/crew cheif(Arians/Tomlin), who sets up the car......You got a great car(the offense)........And you got Richard petty driving it(Big Ben)...........The mechanic and crew cheif can give suggestions on how to drive, but it is up to the driver to make those decisions as he is driving.........Only one dude can be at the wheel..............

Now tell me, do you know who Richard Petty's mechanic/crew cheif was?

Dale Inman?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts

oh, and i think 4x is right.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Lmao. I like Ben's cheese.
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,709 Times in 1,568 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Tony I forgot about the cheese you just had to bring that up again didn't you.