Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers O-Linemen Not Thrilled About Current Scrutiny

Steelers O-Linemen Not Thrilled About Current Scrutiny
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/18/s...scrutiny/#cont
Posted Sep 18, 2009 11:04PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Over at NFL.com, there's a new feature called "O-Line Confidential" which consists of the five Steelers' offensive lineman sitting around the dinner table at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse talking football. (Note nojobny kindly posted the link to this over in the media section. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39020 It's well worth watching. - mesa)

It's a great feature, hopefully just the first of a series as the Steelers' o-linemen offer some insight, show some humor and give everyone a chance to get know a group that is relatively anonymous in general. During the segment they also make it known that they aren't real happy with all the criticism they hear, which makes sense considering no group is probably more criticized than the Steelers' offensive line.

"People act like they know who gave up sacks," Hartwig said, using an example of a time that he messed up last year, which made it look like Max Starks gave up a sack that was actually his fault. "People think they know who is responsible for sacks, no."

Hearing that, it's hard not think that he's talking at least in part about the offensive line posts here at the FanHouse as well as Dagger's breakdowns over at Post Game Heroes.

It's not that Hartwig doesn't have a point. As has been mentioned constantly throughout the O-line breakdowns here, these breakdowns are down to the best of my ability, which means it's an attempt to discern what went right and what went wrong without knowing the play call. Sometimes they are obvious (if a defensive end runs by Starks or Willie Colon as they attempt to block him, it was his man), but in other cases it's hard to figure out who was to blame (like several sacks in last year's Eagles game where blitzers flew threw the middle of the Steelers' line untouched). Let me be the first to apologize, as I'm sure that I've blamed the wrong offensive lineman for a sack or two through the years.

But in general, it's not that hard to figure out who is having a good game and who is struggling. In general run blocking is even easier to figure out--when nose tackles were driving Sean Mahan into the backfield, it doesn't take much knowledge of the Steelers' play calling to figure out that it's not be design.

And the track record of the Between The Lines series here at FanHouse seems to be pretty good. Back in 2006, I wrote most every week that Sean Mahan was a big part of the Steelers' offensive line's problems. At the time the Steelers denied that Mahan was struggling at all (which is exactly what you would expect coaches to do when defending a player). And as soon as the season was over, the Steelers went out to find a replacement and traded Mahan to Tampa Bay. He's not been a starter since.

The other two offensive linemen who were singled out in 2006 were Kendall Simmons and Max Starks. Simmons eventually was cut by the Steelers in the middle of a large long-term deal and he then sat on the free agent market throughout the offseason, only finally landing a job as a backup last week with the Patriots. Starks eventually lost his job to Willie Colon. Once he got into better shape he eventually became the Steelers' left tackle, but it took until 2009 for him to go into a season as a starter again.

And in the preseason, you could read here that rookie tight end David Johnson was a very good in-line blocker as a tight end, but that he struggled to block as a fullback. Two weeks later, Jim Wexell wrote over on his blog ($) that the Steelers' coaching staff were impressed with Johnson's ability as an in-line blocker, but worried about his ability to make blocks as a fullback.

So while it's possible that a sack here or there may be blamed on the wrong offensive lineman. The overall results seem to be pretty accurate.

The Steelers offensive line came off as a group of likeable guys. And they seemed like a group who is well motivated to improve, it just to make everyone, including this site, give them the respect they lack right now.

"I want to get it done to shut everybody up," Colon said.

Nothing would make me happier as a Steelers fan than to be made to look like an idiot in this case.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419
Default Re: Steelers O-Linemen Not Thrilled About Current Scrutiny

well i hope they shut us all up, i would love it, no sacks and a good ground game and everybody will shut the hell up
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
well i hope they shut us all up, i would love it, no sacks and a good ground game and everybody will shut the hell up
and i hope they do it against above average defenses. i dislike how people give the excuse, "well they were facing a good defense". while that is a valid argument, it still doesn't mean they have to struggle against every good defense.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

jerome is sitting around his dinner table laughing at how he may have gotten this offense pissed off enough to play harder...

im think'n he cant wait to watch the game now...
Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

I know we all hope that the oline will get better and, we will be able to run the ball with success. Also keep Ben upright because, I really think we have a good passing game. The only way to shut up the so called experts is with results.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
1st&Goal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8802

[QUOTE=mesaSteeler;661902]Steelers O-Linemen Not Thrilled About Current Scrutiny
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/18/s...scrutiny/#cont
Posted Sep 18, 2009 11:04PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Simmons eventually was cut by the Steelers in the middle of a large long-term deal and he then sat on the free agent market throughout the offseason, only finally landing a job as a backup last week with the Patriots.

Good move by Bellicheat. Much less risky and time consuming than all that messy video taping.
1st&Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

TIme to stop talking and start blocking!
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
TIme to stop talking and start blocking!
Exactly, if they wanna stop getting criticized then stop profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering up on a weekly basis.
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,763 Times in 2,139 Posts

Do your jobs and no one will have anything to say. Stop worrying about what people say and start worrying about blocking someone, anyone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
..... keep Ben upright because, I really think we have a good passing game.
I hate to say it, but a team might be able to win in today's NFL solely with a passing-game, essentially eschewing the run (oddly) if you stay out of short-yardage situations:
if 'em Stillers can keep Roethlisberger out of the sick-bay and/or traction, they might be good-enough to pull it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
The only way to shut up the so called experts is with results.
Results are the only-thing that matters..... if they bring home another Silver football the first Sunday in February, which of the 'so-called experts' will be complaining about the Offensive Line woes?