Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default There's plenty of culprits to blame for Steelers' loss

There's plenty of culprits to blame for Steelers' loss
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_644190.html
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 21, 2009

At the beginning of Sunday's game, with the Steelers' opening possession in the shadow of their own goal post, they employed a three-wide receiver set.

On third-and-short, when the Steelers needed to pick up a first down, they played three receivers.

During crunch time, when the Steelers needed to move the ball, they had three receivers on the field.

Get the picture?

That break from tradition isn't why the Steelers suffered their first loss of the season, 17-14, to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Who was that man disguised as kicker Jeff Reed anyway?

Normally reliable under pressure, Reed's two missed field goals in the fourth quarter on a wet and loose playing surface were the difference in a game the Steelers carelessly let slip away.

"Of course, this is uncharacteristic of him," Mike Tomlin said in what may have been his shortest postgame news conference as Steelers coach. "He just kicked the game-winner in overtime last week, and that's what we're used to. We aren't used to what happened to him today."

Strange things happened to the Steelers against the Bears. And not because it seemed like offensive coordinator Bruce Arians ran more three-receiver sets than the pass-happy New Orleans Saints.

Just kidding. No team runs more three-receiver sets than Drew Brees' Saints. But give the Steelers a gold star for trying.

No, there were fingerprints from all corners of the locker room after this loss.

How about the defense giving up three costly scoring drives against a Chicago offense that sputtered a week earlier against a Green Bay defense in its first year of playing a 3-4 alignment borrowed from the Steelers?

That final drive led to Robbie Gould's 44-yard game-winning field goal with 15 seconds remaining.

"We felt like we had an opportunity to finish the game out," linebacker James Farrior said of the Steelers blowing a 14-7 lead in the fourth quarter. "We had the lead and let them come back. That's very disappointing as a defense."

Not only did Chicago rookie receiver Johnny Knox beat strong safety Tyrone Carter for a 7-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter that made the score 14-14, Carter was beaten as Troy Polamalu's replacement.

Now Carter has to hear all week about how the Steelers' secondary is in trouble because Polamalu will be sidelined at least two more games with a knee injury.

"I should have called timeout," said Carter, who injured his left thigh after breaking up a pass for tight end Greg Olsen in the second quarter. "Because of my leg I couldn't move. I was just out there. I think I kind of hurt my teammates by either not coming out of the game or calling timeout."

You think?

And there was Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes explaining what appeared to be his drop of a potential touchdown pass against Bears cornerback Charles Tillman late in the game that would have given the Steelers a 21-7 lead.

"I saw the tip of the ball. That's all I was watching the whole time," said Holmes, who had five receptions for a game-high 83 yards but allowed three catchable balls to slip through his fingers. "I put my hands in the right (position). When I thought the ball was landing, (Tillman) got his hands up at the last second and nudged the ball, and it fell between my arms."

One play later, Reed missed a field goal.

Eight plays after that, Gould put Chicago ahead of keeps.

After fumbling away a win, Sunday's game at Cincinnati can't arrive soon enough for the 1-1 Steelers.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

(Pass happy. That's our damn problem. This pass first, pass to establish the run game crap doesn't work in bad weather. Our offense went to hell when it started raining.

Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad. Are we ever going to back to power run, clock controlling, dominating Steeler football? In my 45 years of watching Steeler football I've never seen anything as stupid as this pass happy crap. Instead of Preachers new passing faith religion (double entendre intended) give me the old time religion of power run the ball, stop the run of real Steelers football. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: There's plenty of culprits to blame for Steelers' loss

I don't know mesa. It seems that Chicago was passing as much or more than we were...and they won.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
There's plenty of culprits to blame for Steelers' loss
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_644190.html
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 21, 2009

At the beginning of Sunday's game, with the Steelers' opening possession in the shadow of their own goal post, they employed a three-wide receiver set.

On third-and-short, when the Steelers needed to pick up a first down, they played three receivers.

During crunch time, when the Steelers needed to move the ball, they had three receivers on the field.

Get the picture?

That break from tradition isn't why the Steelers suffered their first loss of the season, 17-14, to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Who was that man disguised as kicker Jeff Reed anyway?

Normally reliable under pressure, Reed's two missed field goals in the fourth quarter on a wet and loose playing surface were the difference in a game the Steelers carelessly let slip away.

"Of course, this is uncharacteristic of him," Mike Tomlin said in what may have been his shortest postgame news conference as Steelers coach. "He just kicked the game-winner in overtime last week, and that's what we're used to. We aren't used to what happened to him today."

Strange things happened to the Steelers against the Bears. And not because it seemed like offensive coordinator Bruce Arians ran more three-receiver sets than the pass-happy New Orleans Saints.

Just kidding. No team runs more three-receiver sets than Drew Brees' Saints. But give the Steelers a gold star for trying.

No, there were fingerprints from all corners of the locker room after this loss.

How about the defense giving up three costly scoring drives against a Chicago offense that sputtered a week earlier against a Green Bay defense in its first year of playing a 3-4 alignment borrowed from the Steelers?

That final drive led to Robbie Gould's 44-yard game-winning field goal with 15 seconds remaining.

"We felt like we had an opportunity to finish the game out," linebacker James Farrior said of the Steelers blowing a 14-7 lead in the fourth quarter. "We had the lead and let them come back. That's very disappointing as a defense."

Not only did Chicago rookie receiver Johnny Knox beat strong safety Tyrone Carter for a 7-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter that made the score 14-14, Carter was beaten as Troy Polamalu's replacement.

Now Carter has to hear all week about how the Steelers' secondary is in trouble because Polamalu will be sidelined at least two more games with a knee injury.

"I should have called timeout," said Carter, who injured his left thigh after breaking up a pass for tight end Greg Olsen in the second quarter. "Because of my leg I couldn't move. I was just out there. I think I kind of hurt my teammates by either not coming out of the game or calling timeout."

You think?

And there was Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes explaining what appeared to be his drop of a potential touchdown pass against Bears cornerback Charles Tillman late in the game that would have given the Steelers a 21-7 lead.

"I saw the tip of the ball. That's all I was watching the whole time," said Holmes, who had five receptions for a game-high 83 yards but allowed three catchable balls to slip through his fingers. "I put my hands in the right (position). When I thought the ball was landing, (Tillman) got his hands up at the last second and nudged the ball, and it fell between my arms."

One play later, Reed missed a field goal.

Eight plays after that, Gould put Chicago ahead of keeps.

After fumbling away a win, Sunday's game at Cincinnati can't arrive soon enough for the 1-1 Steelers.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Quote:
(Pass happy. That's our damn problem. This pass first, pass to establish the run game crap doesn't work in bad weather. Our offense went to hell when it started raining.
Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad. Are we ever going to back to power run, clock controlling, dominating Steeler football? In my 45 years of watching Steeler football I've never seen anything as stupid as this pass happy crap. Instead of Preachers new passing faith religion (double entendre intended) give me the old time religion of power run the ball, stop the run of real Steelers football. - mesa)

Welcome to the world of Bruce Arians. It's fun isn't it?
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I don't know mesa. It seems that Chicago was passing as much or more than we were...and they won.
Chicago was behind for the majority of the game, they really didn't have a choice other than to pass. I wouldn't really say that passing was the winning formula for the Bears, the Steelers basically gave the game away.

This loss falls into the lap of Jeff Reed and Tyrone Carter. Both Bears touchdowns were thrown at Carter. I don't know why he wasn't able to make a play on the 2nd touchdown, he was standing right there????
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

holmes (with one play), reed (with TWO missed kicks), and most of all the DEFENSE let us down, unbelievable loss, we needed this game and we pissed it away
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,665 Times in 617 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Actually, you could argue that we didn't "need" this win since we played an interconference opponent. We need to beat the Bengals and Chargers more than we needed to beat the Bears.

Not that that's an excuse for today's performance, but I can certainly think of more damaging losses.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

there are the Bruce Arians bashers and those who thinks Bruce Arians is doing a good job and that the execution is the problem.I stand in the middle of it.

My point is that today was a very good example of why we need to commit to the run.

When you get to weather like that you have to be able to run the football and eat the clock.

I think that the problem in this team is not the playcalling(although id like to see more running play than 19 specially in a weather like that) I think the main problem is that we dont use properly our personel.

Heck why did we draft a RB in the 1st round if it's to use him only 3 carries the entire game ?
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

holmes should have rotated his hands outward on the endzone pass
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
WindyCitySteelerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10940

Ugh.

And now I have to hear about this damn game for the next 7 years until we play them again...

The damned Bears? What the hell?

Lost to the dullest team around.. great... There is paint that is more enjoyable watching dry than most Bears games.
WindyCitySteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

What about all the penalties we had that had alot to do with our loss. I am not sure how many we had but it was a bunch and it costed us alot of yards.