Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
steelrush
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14589
Default An outstanding grading...

...of our team in the Bears game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09264/999626-66.stm

On a personal note, I'll like to say/write a few things 'bout yesterday's game.
To me, the loss was hurting. Why? Because, unlike the opener, I expected a victory based on the fact that the Bears, in my opinion, are nowhere near the Titans and the fact that they missed Ulracher.
Yet, they improved to 1-1 while the Titans fell to 0-2??

I blame this loss on both coaching, special teams and defense.
A defense that didn't have Troy. And so what, will some ask. Well, Tyrone Carter is capable of many things on the gridiron...he just wasn't yesterday. And he'll never be at Troy's level.
A special teams unit that -apart from Sepulveda- seemed like a one-footed unit. Much did I expected from Stefan Logan; he tried his best -that was obvious- but every lane he tried returning kicks, just seemed to be unholly ground for him.
An offensive coaching staff that still tries to find ways to get two-dimensional, still tries to get some running game on the tracks (it wories me that Rashard needs Willie's holes to make a successull multi-yardage run too!) and still tries to believe that as long as Ben is healthy, there won't be a problem. It's just not enough for me.

The Bengals did an outstanding job yesterday in Green Bay, living the team that defeated the same Bears we couldn't get over, wishing for more and guess what: next stop is in Cincy.
Boy do I fear that game already...
But I believe!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
BlockMonsta
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13642
Default Re: An outstanding grading...

Regarding what you said about the Bengals. I feel the same way, the Bengals are improved and should be 2-0. Could Mundy fill in better then T-Carter did? Still wating on 92 and 56....
BlockMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

With the exception of a couple of balls I don't blame Tyrone. The D as a whole was not really a factor the whole day. With the exception of a couple three and outs the Bears were able to move the ball at will on our so-called #1 D. I know Troy is out but as a DC you have to make adjustments for the underneath stuff and Libeau didn't do that. GO STEELERS!!!
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,163 Posts

I cant understand how the O line gets an A-. He must have just thought the run yards were better than last week.

Starks got repeately beat by Alex Brown which resulted in a sack, several hits and that INT. Hartwig was OK, but missed a blitz pickup that resulted in the 2nd sack. Essex still doesnt get under the defenders and should be able to move linemen he outweighs by 50lbs.

A better performance. Starks still has problems with speed rushers, so will have to step it up to handle Odom this week.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I cant understand how the O line gets an A-. He must have just thought the run yards were better than last week.

Starks got repeately beat by Alex Brown which resulted in a sack, several hits and that INT. Hartwig was OK, but missed a blitz pickup that resulted in the 2nd sack. Essex still doesnt get under the defenders and should be able to move linemen he outweighs by 50lbs.

A better performance. Starks still has problems with speed rushers, so will have to step it up to handle Odom this week.
Yes.

But I thought Kemo looked OK---even decent
(little steps)
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
Yes.

But I thought Kemo looked OK---even decent
(little steps)
Kemo still is late on recognizing blitzes and stunts. That is why he had a couple takedowns and a closeline that wasnt called. He has always been a good run blocker and the traps were run more often that the RB's can run off of.

Funny thing is the 1st long run of around 14 yards Parker had in the 1st quarter........was the exact play where Ben and Mendenhall ran into each other last week, but everybody was down on Mendy and the O line. That play also worked well at least 3 other times.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I pretty much agree with these, except I don't understand why special teams didn't get a flat-out F. THEY LOST THE GAME.

I do think the OL deserves the grade it got. The running game was like night and day from the first game. They were opening holes you could drive a truck through, which is what Parker needs to gain any yardage. I don't think two sacks is anything so terrible; that's just a regular game. And on one of them, Ben had plenty of time but just no one to throw to.

I have no idea why we can never guard big lumbering tight ends, but that seems like it's been going on for years.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I don't think two sacks is anything so terrible; that's just a regular game.
True, but you have to step outside the stat sheet and actually watch the amount of pressures and why they got the sacks, pressures, knockdowns.

If a line blocks well and just gets beat by blitzes and the QB hanging onto the ball long, that's expected. But when guys get beat by not moving their feet or not recognizing who to block and it results in hurried passes, knockdowns, etc....it still sucks.

A O line can give up 5 sacks and play well, just like they can give up 2 and play poorly. They gave up 2 and played C- yesterday IMO.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Defense and ST lost the game - just like I said.

LINEBACKERS

B-

The defense pressured Cutler into some quick, if not poor, throws, even an intentional grounding penalty. But the linebackers couldn't get to him fast enough on third down (7 of 14 conversions). Costly 15-yard penalties by James Harrison (late hit on Cutler) and Lawrence Timmons (on a third-down incompletion) helped the Bears on their 97-yard scoring drive that tied the score at 7-7.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

D

After four interceptions a week earlier, Cutler passed for 234 yards and two touchdowns and did not have an interception. What's more, he attacked the middle of the field with a combined eight passes to tight ends Kellen Davis and Greg Olsen, who had a 29-yarder to set up the tying touchdown. Ty Carter, replacing Troy Polamalu, was the frequent target and gave up the tying touchdown.

SPECIAL TEAMS

D-

Devin Hester was held to just 14 yards on two punt returns and the Bears averaged just 17.7 yards on three kick returns. But CB Ike Taylor had two of the three penalties assessed on punt returns, each time for blocking in the back. And Jeff Reed missed field goals of 38 and 43 yards in the fourth quarter, the first time he has missed two in a game since Sept. 26, 2004, at Miami.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Defense and ST lost the game - just like I said.
Pat yourself on the back Killer
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote