Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Post-Chicago thoughts

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Post-Chicago thoughts

The last time the Steelers played in Chicago - in 1995 - they came back forced overtime, winning at Soldier Field for the only time in team history.

It was a game that proved the 1995 Steelers - a great defensive team - had enough juice offensively to be a Super Bowl contender.

Sunday, we saw the Steelers show why this team which is great offensively and defensively might not make it again.

For whatever reason, this team just doesn't seem to be able to keep its foot on the pedal offensively.

The Steelers walked down the field with relative ease on their opening possession and were on their way to a second score when Ben Roethlisberger threw a duck of a pass that was picked off by Charles Tillman.

We didn't see a whole lot of offense after that.

Certainly the rain played a factor in that. But the Steelers played plenty of games in horrid conditions last season.

I know Roethlisberger likes leading the Steelers on fourth quarter game-winning drives and the team has plenty of confidence in him doing that, but it's OK to win by 20 sometimes too.

From the number of e-mails I received this week about my pick of the Bears to win this game, I guess there were a good number of people who didn't believe me when I wrote that the Steelers would have a more difficult time replacing Troy Polamalu than Chicago would replacing Brian Urlacher.

After watching Polamalu's replacement, Tyrone Cater, get beat for both Chicago touchdowns, I wonder if they believe me now.

Cincinnati went to Green Bay and won on Sunday, making next week's game against the Steelers at Paul Brown Stadium a big one.

The winner will move to 2-1 and keep pace with Baltimore.

The loser will be 1-2 and trailing the other and Baltimore.

Trust me when I say that the Steelers can lose that game as well.

Actually, I think the loss Sunday will help refocus this team and the Steelers will win in Cincinnati.

All the people continuing to trash the offensive line should chill out a little bit. The line played pretty darn well Sunday and Roethlisberger had plenty of time to throw.

This team still can't run the ball when opponents know they're going to run it, though.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 12:27 AM 4 comments Links to this post
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Post-Chicago thoughts

The author has many good points, but this one stood out for me:

Quote:
I know Roethlisberger likes leading the Steelers on fourth quarter game-winning drives and the team has plenty of confidence in him doing that, but it's OK to win by 20 sometimes too.
On to Shitsinnati and the Bungles who are a better team this season than last. I have no doubt Tomlin and his coaches will address the problem areas in yesterday's game and do whatever is necessary to fix them.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
steelballs
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13011

It's never easy to accept a loss and although I'm a proponent of "it's never a good thing to lose"....this loss just might be what the Steelers needed.

The team didn't play well...that's a given, but they were still in the mix right up to the end.

I wouldn't want to be in the film room Tuesday, Tomlin will be going off and spreading the blame evenly....as it should be.
steelballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Well, you see all sorts of posts about Reed missing kicks and Santonio dropping passes ... all of which are true. But I think the Steelers lost because they played a hard fought game last week, that was equally as emotional, then sat on their duffs for 10 days. Oh, I'm not saying they are lazy. But they had extra time off from a very physical game. Additionally, they were playing a team that turned the ball over numerous times the prior week and were missing key players on defense. So they probably weren't thinking of getting into a dog fight with these guys. I never believe in a "good loss", but this certainly doesn't concern me. Our boys will have their minds set right this week and have enough pride not to go out and louse it up against the Bungles.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,849 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
For whatever reason, this team just doesn't seem to be able to keep its foot on the pedal offensively.
Is Lolley saying the Steelers could not "finish"? or "close it out"?? I think he knows the answer why.