Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,949 Times in 884 Posts
Default How About Some Deep Passes to Wallace, Sweed or Holmes...?

I haven't seen but just 2 "Bombs" thrown this season by Ben (that "I" can remember)... I know that Wallace and Sweed (although Sweed's been injured) has the speed and are supposed to be the one's that can get past defenses.... Holmes has the speed / cunning also... Note that out of the two attempts 1 was a TD by Holmes... the other was "gonna" be a TD by Wallace but Ben under threw him (both in game one).... I think it would be reasonable to call these plays more often as it appears we can make it happen.... especially when the Offense seems to be struggling with running the ball and short passes.... just get it over with and "Bomb" a TD to Wallace....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: How About Some Deep Passes to Wallace, Sweed or Holmes...?

Well, there was a third, and it was an INT because Ben got hit by Starks' guy.

Last year, people were complaining about all the throws down field. "we need shorter throws" "We need screens"

I understand what you are saying, but it seems that no matter what is done to accommodate our offense, there are those who want the opposite.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

The Bears game kind of ruled that out -- the wind and rain are not very good for the deep passing game. The plays that were succeeding (for both teams) were the shorter dump-offs and such.

It seems to me like Ben's not at his best throwing way down the field anyway. He's awesome at hitting passes through tiny openings like 20-25 yards downfield, but for a 40-yard bomb, the receiver had better be wide open.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

ya theres been a few bombs thrown, only one completed, and the others under or over-thrown
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
I haven't seen but just 2 "Bombs" thrown this season by Ben (that "I" can remember)... I know that Wallace and Sweed (although Sweed's been injured) has the speed and are supposed to be the one's that can get past defenses.... Holmes has the speed / cunning also... Note that out of the two attempts 1 was a TD by Holmes... the other was "gonna" be a TD by Wallace but Ben under threw him (both in game one).... I think it would be reasonable to call these plays more often as it appears we can make it happen.... especially when the Offense seems to be struggling with running the ball and short passes.... just get it over with and "Bomb" a TD to Wallace....

Al? Is that you? Not that I care if we throw "bombs" or not but the completion percentage drops the more you launch it down field... Plunkett anyone? I don't mind a few to keep the defenses honest though don't get me wrong.
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
The Bears game kind of ruled that out -- the wind and rain are not very good for the deep passing game. The plays that were succeeding (for both teams) were the shorter dump-offs and such.

It seems to me like Ben's not at his best throwing way down the field anyway. He's awesome at hitting passes through tiny openings like 20-25 yards downfield, but for a 40-yard bomb, the receiver had better be wide open.

Yep.

I think Ben just isn't comfortable throwing the ball up downfield and letting his receivers athleticism do all the work. It looks more like Ben takes on the responsibility to get the ball right to the receiver... meaning that he would rather drill it right to the guy than float it for the guy to run too it.

Funny thing is, I have no idea how the Santo play last year in the playoffs against the Ravens plays into that!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Sorry, but our Oline is not conducive to a long passing game. We are doing better with the intermediate routes with some YAC. We don't want Ben to fall in love with the long ball (which he will do if they let him) because we will lose games if we keep throwing away downs on long passes. The chances of connecting on those long passes are slim unless the receiver is wide open and Ben is not running for his life. Two things that don't happen together very often. Stick to the short and intermediate routes with higher percentage rates and we move the ball down the field and eat the clock up. Short passes are as good as the runs. In our case they are probably better than running.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
GridironWarrior
Starter

Member Number: 9565

Sweed and Wallace are the only ones I ever seen get separation on deep routes. I havenít seen Holmes do it yet. I wouldnít mind 1 to 3 shots a game. But they only really work when you have a running game that scares a team. Which we donít have.
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

That's the difference between the 1970s team and the current team. The Blonde Bomber to Swann and Stallworth was historical.

Short passing and what the defense gives up is good as long as you march down the field and don't committ holding penalties to make it 3rd and long. Then we get bum rushed and BB gets sacked. It's also good to go 15-25 yards and let the WRs find the seams.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

I'd also like to see Logan in the offense more. Maybe some reverses or quick screens.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote