Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Larry Zierlein's Online Blocking Manual...

I let the cat out of the bag in another thread, so why not post the link?

Again, for all the prognosticators who don't really understand the complexities of the game, this is a definite "teaching moment".

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/fr...EINPASSPRO.pdf
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,859 Times in 934 Posts
Default Re: Larry Zierlein's Online Blocking Manual...

Nice find Revs!!!

Take a look on p10 where Coach Z talks about having a narrow stance and the weight on the balls of the feet, so the OT can get better depth vs the outside speed rush.

Now, watch Starks this weekend and see him in his stance on a 3rd and long. He normally has a wide stance, his left leg far back and most of the weight on his right leg flat footed. It looks like this picture.

Coach Z puts it here in black and white, but either doesnt teach Starks or Starks wont do it.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Didn't Marvel Smith use that same stance? i guess he taught it to Starks but Starks doesn't have Smiths talent or ability. So it's either a coaching issue or personnel, i think it's both.
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Maybe it's his way of "cheating" for the outside move, because as you say "his kick step stinks".

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Didn't Marvel Smith use that same stance? i guess he taught it to Starks but Starks doesn't have Smiths talent or ability. So it's either a coaching issue or personnel, i think it's both.
Yeah, I saw Smith use that similar width stance at times. Cant remember if it was under Grimm or Zeirline. Smith had a great kick slide to get depth vs speed rushers. Maybe he lapsed into this wide stance and got beat around the edge at times. I just see Starks getting no depth on his kick slide.

here is a picture of Jake Long with a more compact stance, set for a good kick slide.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Maybe it's his way of "cheating" for the outside move, because as you say "his kick step stinks".
Could be. I see Starks just stand up and assume a position like a basketball guard trying to defend somebody. Maybe he thinks his wide stance helps him cover the outside speed rush, but what I see him do is turn his hips to chase the speed rush, which leaves him open for the "inside rip" or "spin" as counter moves.

Again, its why I am happy the Steelers didnt overpay him in this lastest contract, but would have been more happy if they found a better LT to protect Ben's blind side.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

So comparing these two, you can also notice how much more upright starks is. He dosen't bend his knees to get his big butt lower. He bends his waist to simulate his body being lower making his center of balance more over his feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Could be. I see Starks just stand up and assume a position like a basketball guard trying to defend somebody. Maybe he thinks his wide stance helps him cover the outside speed rush, but what I see him do is turn his hips to chase the speed rush, which leaves him open for the "inside rip" or "spin" as counter moves.
Now is that checkers or chess?

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Put it in Simple words guys, Starks thinks his Size can overcome athleticism, which will NEVER HAPPEN. Marvel and Long had excellent stances against speed rushers because of the tight splits that they had, not that fat slob Flozell Adams Wide Stance, The more I see Starks, the more flexible he needs to become with his knees and hips, Hes like a big happy bear waddling looking for a hug. Hes Improving, but he can work better at it. The funny part about this and I dont know about you guys, I read this manual from Zeirlein just now and I learned this in High School. I had a great O line coach who was maybe the best in the state, but still, Russ Grimm and Dan Deirdorf can pull more rabbits out of a hat.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

XKnight....I love the "big happy bear waddling" reference. Its kind of indicative of Starks being too high, as opposed to guys like Long and McNeil who are coiled low, ready to punch.

As for the simplicity of Zeriline's manual, yes its nothing revolutionary....just detailed. But would you not agree that pass blocking is just fundamental technique that is refined and executed well??

What do you think of Coach Z's run blocking schemes?? Do you think that he could possibly draw up some better blocks for running off tackle or is he doing all he can with the system and talent??
Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Now is that checkers or chess?
I sooo wish I could find a video online of Marcus McNeil at the pro bowl around 4 years ago demonstrating how to handle pass rush moves and the proper reaction to the counter moves.

THAT was definately Chess!! As XxKnight said, this manual from Coach Z is the same stuff taught in Highschool football..........so some may say its really checkers.