Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers’ Ward says he’d hit Bengals’ Rivers again

Steelers’ Ward says he’d hit Bengals’ Rivers again

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...e=lgns&print=1
By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 9 minutes ago

CINCINNATI (AP)—Hines Ward(notes) says he’d lay another tough hit on Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers(notes), even if it means drawing a penalty.

The Pittsburgh Steelers leveled Rivers with a straight-up block from the side during a game last season, breaking the linebacker’s jaw and ending his season. Such blocks have since been banned under the league’s rules changes.

Hines and Rivers will face each other Sunday in Cincinnati for the first time since the hit. Rivers said on Wednesday that he hopes the rules change makes it safer for players. In Pittsburgh, Ward told reporters that if the same situation happens again, he’d hit Rivers again, even if it means getting a penalty.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Steelers’ Ward says he’d hit Bengals’ Rivers again

That a boy Ward!

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

That's what I like to see. What the hell kind of rule is that anyway? Is there really such a thing as a "defenseless defender?" Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

I guess Hines is not on Rivers' Christmas card list.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Ward: I'd do it again
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...+d+do+it+again
By Joe Reedy • jreedy@enquirer.com • September 23, 2009

The anticipated war of words between Keith Rivers and Hines Ward turned out to be fairly one-sided.

While Bengals linebacker Rivers tried to distance himself from discussing what would be a season-ending Ward blind-side block last year, the Steelers receiver said he’d do the same thing again, even if it means being fined.

Since the Ward hit in Week 7 last year, the league adopted Rule 12-2-12, otherwise known as the Hines Ward rule. It eliminates blindside blocks to the head or neck area of an opponent.

But Ward says he thinks it’s safer to hit players up high instead of putting their knees at risk.

And as far as being a target on Sunday goes, Ward isn’t concerned.

“Each and every game I know I’m hunted. Each and every game I play in, I think they’re hunted, too,” Ward said to Pittsburgh reporters. “It’s not about me and Rivers; it’s about the Pittsburgh Steelers against Cincinnati, and we’ve just got to win on the road.”

After last year’s game, Rivers said of Ward: “You know, you reap what you sow. That’s what happens. What goes around, comes around. We’ll see what happens.”

On Wednesday, Rivers was more measured.

“It’s a new week and that happened almost a year ago,” he said. “It’s over with, it’s done with. I’ve moved on and I’m looking forward to finishing this season off and doing well. It’s in the past.”

Both the Steelers and Bengals enter Sunday’s game 1-1. They will renew a series recently marked by big hits, including Kimo von Oelhoffen’s on Carson Palmer in a 2005 season playoff game, which sidelined the quarterback.

Ward’s block was the first example on an NFL instructional video that explained the rules changes for players and media during training camp. Rivers says he has seen the play often and has not talked to Ward.

After last year’s game, Ward said he passed along his apologies to Chad Ochocinco, who forwarded them to Rivers.

On Wednesday, Rivers wanted no part of reliving the past or critiquing Ward.

“I’m not commenting on how he plays. All I know is how I play and I look forward to making plays,” River said. “It’s a heated rivalry, so whenever there’s a rivalry, there’s always a little jawing and talking going on.

“My eyes get big whenever I get the chance to get a good clean hit on anyone. It won’t be different from anyone else.”

Some players are against the new rule and worry about having to hit players lower to avoid a 15-yard penalty or a fine. The concern is they put the opposing players’ knees at risk.

“I’ll still hit him. I’ll just get fined,” Ward said. “I’d rather take a fine than try to end somebody’s career, so I’m not going to change. Me being the defensive guy, I’d rather get hit high than low. Because if I hit Rivers (low), I probably would have blown out his knee and he never would have played football again.”

“If I end his career, I will feel more worse as a player than hitting him up high. We have on shoulder pads, we have on helmets. That’s what they’re made for. But me going down low when he’s not watching and I blow his knee out? To me, that’s the sign of a dirty player.”

While Ward is not changing his style of play, others are following the rule, including Steelers linebacker James Harrison, the reigning defensive player of the year.

In the opener against Tennessee, Harrison went low on tight end Bo Scaife, who suffered a knee injury and has not practiced since.

“To be honest with you, I think they should really get rid of that rule, I believe you put a lot of guys at risk for being hurt,” Harrison said. “I think that’s one of the craziest rules that they ever implemented.”

Don’t expect Rivers to play differently or try and exact revenge on Sunday. That would be unlike him. Also don’t look for rookie Rey Maualuga to be the designated enforcer, either.

Both are more concerned about stopping Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers’ offense.

“If he goes out of his way to do things he’s not supposed to do, and plays with anger and regret, he’s going to play out of his game and make mistakes,” said Maualuga of Rivers. “I’m not going out of my way to hit him for something that he did that was right just because he was blocking for one of his guys. If he happens to have the ball in his hands, I’ll try to get the ball from him.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Stupid question:

What made Ward hate (hate may be a strong word?) Keith Rivers?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

i dont think hines "hates" anyone! He goes out and plays the game the way it is suppose to , but maybe it is this quote “You know, you reap what you sow. That’s what happens. What goes around, comes around. We’ll see what happens.” from rivers . But i think he doesnt hate rivers at all.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
shinoff2183
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Snyder View Post
Stupid question:

I dont think there is hate, its more of a media trying to make it into something.
shinoff2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Snyder View Post
Stupid question:

Not to fret, young padawan. Hines hates every opponent equally.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
T Bradshaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12013

NFL is becoming like flag football

too many stupid rules and just too much crap, the worst is if your finger touches a WR after 5 yards you are penalized, too many soft stupid rules

Roger Goodall has ruined this league
T Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote